Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving licence exchange, latest news....

Driving licence exchange, latest news....

Old Jun 16th 2022, 1:50 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence exchange, latest news....

Originally Posted by VEDShappy
Yes and even more so given that it's one of their staff.
I did email and suggest that they do a feature where she could explain why she didn't comply with the law and why she (and others) should now receive our sympathy and special treatment.
Needless to say I haven't had a reply.
Good to hear that you tackled them about it. Not at all surprised that they have not replied.

Rosemary
Old Jun 16th 2022, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Things aren't helped when even posters here have claimed things such as that you can have 2 licences. Then we have long heated debates trying to make such people admit that they haven't been entirely truthful about the information they give. The same thing applies in the area of tax and residency where people argue that they have Spanish residency but only need declare in uk due to their jobs. All this confuses folk and leads to myths and apocryphal stories( ....I have a friend who......or.... I spoke to the Spanish tax man in English!!.....I know the chief of Police...etc) None of this helps
Old Jun 17th 2022, 3:18 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Latest update from the Embassy is that they have reached agreements on a lot of issues and that they are going ahead with certain prossesses.

There was no real concrete information.

He could not give a definitive date but hopes that people will be able to drive again towards the end of July.

Rosemary
Old Jun 17th 2022, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Link?
Old Jun 17th 2022, 4:29 pm

Brits in Spain | Facebook

Last edited by Rosemary; Jun 17th 2022 at 4:32 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2022, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

I actually carry three. My UK licence, my Spanish licence and this one ! The GC love it !

Best
Loco
Originally Posted by Ronnyone
Things aren't helped when even posters here have claimed things such as that you can have 2 licences. Then we have long heated debates trying to make such people admit that they haven't been entirely truthful about the information they give. The same thing applies in the area of tax and residency where people argue that they have Spanish residency but only need declare in uk due to their jobs. All this confuses folk and leads to myths and apocryphal stories( ....I have a friend who......or.... I spoke to the Spanish tax man in English!!.....I know the chief of Police...etc) None of this helps

Last edited by Rosemary; Jun 21st 2022 at 5:22 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old Jun 21st 2022, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loco
I actually carry three. My UK licence, my Spanish licence and this one ! The GC love it !
OK, I'll bite, how can you legally hold both UK and Spanish licences?
Old Jun 21st 2022, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin

We have been through this numerous times. You can not legally have two licences but some people who keep uk addresses are able to have both but of course you are meant to inform when you change residency. But I'm ready for the usual debate to start again
Old Jun 21st 2022, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

You cannot in other words, or not without lying.

Nuff said.
Old Jun 24th 2022, 10:55 am

This weeks up date from the Embassy.

A message from HMA Hugh Elliott on driving licence negotiations
This is a very quick update following my video message last week. We have been in discussions with our Spanish counterparts various times this week, we continue to make progress towards finalising the text of the agreement. Other than that, what I said last week still stands and we will continue to keep you updated as soon as we have something substantive to report. Thank you.

Not what people want to hear but at least they are still trying.

Rosemary
Old Jun 24th 2022, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rosemary
This weeks up date from the Embassy.

A message from HMA Hugh Elliott on driving licence negotiations
This is a very quick update following my video message last week. We have been in discussions with our Spanish counterparts various times this week, we continue to make progress towards finalising the text of the agreement. Other than that, what I said last week still stands and we will continue to keep you updated as soon as we have something substantive to report. Thank you.

Not what people want to hear but at least they are still trying.

Rosemary
I reckon they are packing up all the silverware ready for a quick exit as Boris and his Brexit adventure finally hits a big wall of reality and the UK realizes what a terrible mess it is in!!
Old Jun 24th 2022, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Not what people want to hear but at least they are still trying
Maybe not what they want to hear but equally no surprise!

Trying yes but in the other sense of the word.
Old Jun 26th 2022, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

My post included a photo of my third licence to give everyone a laugh. The GC certainly find it very funny...well the two I have presented it too since I got it.

Its in a card wallet with the UK or ES one behind it.

I find it funny watching their faces as at first they look confused then get even more confused and then they finally see the picture at which point I say Oh sorry sorry go to take the wallet back and remove it to disclose the genuine one.

Yes before someone points it out I am well aware I run the risk of being done for disrespecting the police or possibly even having a fraudulent document but no court would find me guilty and to date both police have found it funny and I am convinced it broke the ice as I was on my way faster than I ever have been with no further checks at all.

One was traffico doing a Alcohol and Drug stop. Not only did I not get tested he even asked me if I minded if he took a photo of it.

I will post here if it goes wrong in the future

Best
Loco

​​

Old Jun 26th 2022, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Well I didn't lie to obtain either my UK and ESP licenses and as of a few days ago both still show up as valid on thier respective online systems.

​​​​​​I simply got a police report in Spain stating I had misplaced my UK driving license, applied online for the " exchange ticking the box on the form saying my UK license was stolen, lost, defaced or destroyed and.at the later appointment at traffico handed them the police report. ( At first they demanded my UK
licence despite the police report but soon dropped their demand when I pointed out the box I had ticked.
​​​​​​
I am merely pointing out how I have both, didn't lie and that both still show as valid on their countries respective systems.

Best
Loco

NOTE I am not claiming they are both valid in both countries but given my particular circumstances one certainly is in both countries and most others when visiting them esp if you add the right IDP if needed.

The law is actually extremely complex on cross border validity of national DLs so my advice is be extremely careful to get it right as the fines arn't usually that bad for getting it wrong but have an accident and the insurance will not cover you and you could end up facing huge bills that can bankrupt most and at worse be jailed for years ( Thailand is a great example ).

Best
Loco

Nuff said.
Old Jun 26th 2022, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Nuff said.
So this still applies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.