Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving licence exchange, latest news....

Driving licence exchange, latest news....

Old Feb 26th 2022, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence exchange, latest news....

Originally Posted by Joppa
They are Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Kentucky so only six. If you exchange one of these state licenses into French one, it can still be used in Spain (for up to 6 months) but cannot be exchanged for Spanish one. The exchanged licence carries a code which identifies the original licence.
Cool..
Old Feb 26th 2022, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
It makes perfect sense that someone who is a resident in a country and drives no doubt frequently should have a decent level of the language of that country. How would you like it if someone bumped into your car in UK and just started speaking Chinese and wasnt able to do any of the process needed for insurance companies. Or worse they caused a serious accident and weren't able to act to communicate to emergency services. What if there is a dispute as to culpability and they simply shrugged their shoulders and walked away. If you want to make Spain your home then learn the language if not dont complain about how the rules work.
so are you suggesting that anyone who hires a car in a foreign country needs to speak that language just in case they have an accident or need to call emergency services ? With respect that’s nonsense. However I don’t disagree that people should accept the law / rules in any given country whatever they are.
Old Feb 26th 2022, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

My ex took the test and she speaks fluent Spanish so she even did the theory in Spanish. She said the test was stressful as other candidates are in the car with you and the examiner talks to you in Spanish as in a type of conversation as they want you to be relaxed. So I imagine you are perhaps going to need more than A1 probably B1 minimum. You have to talk about the engine and accident procedures too.
Tests are stressful even if your doing it in your own language. That’s funny how there are other candidates in the car with you thought lol
Old Feb 27th 2022, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lefty2021
how did he do and how did he find it?

He passed. Took the written test in English. The examiner spoke pretty good English apparently and google translate filled in the gaps. There were no other candidates in the car either. He said basically the examiner respected that he had been driving for years and was super friendly and helpful. There are quite a few people I know who have tested recently with the centre in Cadiz without problem. Apparently the key to passing the theory is doing the written test in English no matter how good you think your Spanish is. My Argentinian friend took it 11 times in Spanish and once in English.....
Old Jun 6th 2022, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

CrunchyFr0g is just really niceCrunchyFr0g is just really niceCrunchyFr0g is just really niceCrunchyFr0g is just really niceCrunchyFr0g is just really niceCrunchyFr0g is just really niceCrunchyFr0g is just really niceCrunchyFr0g is just really niceCrunchyFr0g is just really nice

The British Ambassador to Spain with some cautious good news on this subject for those (like me) about to re-locate to Spain from the UK.

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...road-soon.html
Old Jun 6th 2022, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CrunchyFr0g
The British Ambassador to Spain with some cautious good news on this subject for those (like me) about to re-locate to Spain from the UK.

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...road-soon.html
Unfortunately I imagine they mean a 6 month grace period for those who were resident before Brexit not 6 months for people who arrived after.
Old Jun 6th 2022, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

CrunchyFr0g is just really niceCrunchyFr0g is just really niceCrunchyFr0g is just really niceCrunchyFr0g is just really niceCrunchyFr0g is just really niceCrunchyFr0g is just really niceCrunchyFr0g is just really niceCrunchyFr0g is just really niceCrunchyFr0g is just really nice

I've just seen this post from 4 days ago on the Citizens Advice Bureau Spain Facebook page:

The UK Ambassador has provided a video update on driving licence situation. Full video on Embassy FB page. He acknowledges the extreme distress and difficulties and outlines negotiations ongoing fault and progressing
Main salient points
1. Data issue. they say it is being solved and wont cause any issue which is extremely positive
2. Restoring interim driving permissions. Spain will not agree to this
3. Spain has agreed from the moment that an agreement is signed that you will be able to drive for 6 months while licence exchange
Finally he is extremely confident on agreement which could be in weeks

Old Jun 6th 2022, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Same old blah blah blah.

UK could stop the nonsense which they have created at a stroke but won't.
Old Jun 6th 2022, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I imagine they mean a 6 month grace period for those who were resident before Brexit not 6 months for people who arrived after.
I think most people will be hopeful that ALL Uk drivers will be able to exchange without test.
BUT Im erring on the side like you that residents here before 31st Dec 2020 will be able to exchange all others will still need to take a test.

I am prepared to be wrong but I am not holding my breath.....
Old Jun 6th 2022, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Do we take that to mean that you have not yet exchanged your licence?
Old Jun 7th 2022, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

UK Embassy Madrid is issuing frequent updates via their Facebook page - Brits in Spain

https://fb.watch/duJ98ct7W4/

may need FB account...

Last edited by spainrico; Jun 7th 2022 at 7:16 am.
Old Jun 7th 2022, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Nothing new there, same old platitudes.

Spain will have refused a further extension out of frustration with UK and to force them into getting their fingers out but if after another 5 weeks, and with (allegedly) everyone working flat out on it, if agreement still hasn't been reached the signs are not good that they ever will.

As for Spain agreeing to a 6 month window to exchange IF an agreement does materialise given their record of delays and inefficiency multiplied by god knows how big an avalanche of applications, 6 years might be close to the mark!
​​​​​​

Old Jun 9th 2022, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

If you're stopped with a foreign license, even EU, and have over 6 months of residency you will be fined for driving without a valid license.
Old Jun 9th 2022, 10:04 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

This is the latest info from the embassy.

A message from HMA Hugh Elliott on driving licences
A shorter message this week, but my key point is that things continue to progress well. And, whilst there’s nothing specific to share with you, no news isn’t bad news and what I said last week still stands. Getting you back on the road is our top priority in the Embassy and we are working on it every day. There will be a further, more substantive update next week.
I understand your frustration that this process is taking so long and the very practical impact this has had on many people’s everyday lives. And I know that you would like an exact date when this will be concluded, but we can’t make any guarantees. As soon as we have a clearer picture we will let you know, but I am confident in saying we are nearly there.
Old Jun 9th 2022, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
If you're stopped with a foreign license, even EU, and have over 6 months of residency you will be fined for driving without a valid license.
Issuing a fine in those circumstances to the holder of a valid driving licence issued by another EU member state would be a contravention of EU law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.