Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving licence exchange, latest news....

Driving licence exchange, latest news....

Old Jan 13th 2022, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence exchange, latest news....

Originally Posted by SanNico
Let us know how you get on with that, especially the part where they ask you to cut across 6 lanes in one maneuver.
can’t be that hard judging by the standard of Spanish drivers. Uk test has a reputation for being one of the most thorough. What’s so hard about cutting across 6 lanes. Also.. where even has six lanes?
Old Jan 13th 2022, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the autovia junctions in Valencia have 6 lanes. If you're circumventing the city it's normal to have to cut from lane 1 to 6 in the space of about 200 meters and jump across the 7th lane (bus lane) to turn right. Quite a few roundabouts have 6 lanes too, which filter to two.
Old Jan 13th 2022, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
Some of the autovia junctions in Valencia have 6 lanes. If you're circumventing the city it's normal to have to cut from lane 1 to 6 in the space of about 200 meters and jump across the 7th lane (bus lane) to turn right. Quite a few roundabouts have 6 lanes too, which filter to two.
Nice. Bring it on. Does the Spanish test include moterways. I’ve always known the roads in Spain to be like the wacky races.
Old Jan 13th 2022, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

The theory test is apparently quite hard in that you need about 96% to pass. The practical requires you to do the tests with other students in the car at same time. You are asked questions in Spanish about things such as oil wheel changing, scenarios that might occur. My ex did it 3 years ago. It was quite expensive I think as you normally need to book it through a driving school.
Old Jan 13th 2022, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

This is not a finalisation of the issue, it's just a poorly written confirmation of the recently announced extension to end of Feb.

It's poorly written in that it suggests that those arriving post Feb will not be able to drive at all until they have passed a test whereas in fact they will have 6 months in which to do that.
That's the standard procedure for all non EU immigrants where a direct licence exchange agreement is not in place. Brits will not be be treated any differently, why would they?

Originally Posted by Flyingbanana
And i guess it will be an extra test to gain your motorcycle license & so on. Brilliant.
As a new driver yes, and after going through the other qualifiers such as basic training and progressing through group A1, going straight into group A will not be possible.
In essence it will be pretty much the same as in UK as their rules are modelled on those for an EU licence.

Don't forget too that you will start off with 8 points not 12 and will have to display new driver plates

Insurers may well take advantage and charge new driver premiums.

Hope you didn't vote leave!
Old Feb 17th 2022, 10:01 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Update on the situation.

No agreement will be reached by the 28th Feb so once again the UK Gov have asked for an extention. So no further forward but discussions are still occurring.

Rosemary
Old Feb 17th 2022, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Flyingbanana is an unknown quantity at this point

I absolutely voted to remain. I have now taken a rain check on immigration into Spain upon retirement end of 2023. Me an the other half will comply with schengen rules for a few years & who knows, once we spend more time in Spain & gain more language skills, we then may take the plunge to gain residencia & go for the car & motorcycle licence. Not too sure about starting at the bottom & working up.
Old Feb 17th 2022, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...iving-in-spain

The British and Spanish governments are negotiating on long-term arrangements for exchanging driving licences without needing to take a practical test. Sign up for email alerts to get notified when we update this page.
Old Feb 17th 2022, 1:54 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

I would highlight your reference to "long term"....

Since Boris reneged on the Northern Ireland protocol, all good will has left the room on the EU side.

I wouldn't be holding my breath for anything to be sorted soon.
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a valid UK driving licence

If you were living in Spain before 1 January 2021, your valid UK driving licence will be recognised for driving in Spain until 30 April 2022.

If you moved to Spain after 1 January 2021, your valid UK licence will be recognised for 6 months from the date you obtained residence, or until 30 April 2022, whichever is later.

If you live in Spain, you must exchange your UK driving licence for a Spanish one. You cannot use an International Driving Permit (IDP) instead.

Old Feb 23rd 2022, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spainrico

If you have a valid UK driving licence

If you were living in Spain before 1 January 2021, your valid UK driving licence will be recognised for driving in Spain until 30 April 2022.

If you moved to Spain after 1 January 2021, your valid UK licence will be recognised for 6 months from the date you obtained residence, or until 30 April 2022, whichever is later.

If you live in Spain, you must exchange your UK driving licence for a Spanish one. You cannot use an International Driving Permit (IDP) instead.

So does this mean you can exchange a uk licence without doing the test after Jan 2022.?. If you have to take the test then it really does pay not to be an official resident in Spain.
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
So does this mean you can exchange a uk licence without doing the test after Jan 2022.?. If you have to take the test then it really does pay not to be an official resident in Spain.
Only if you have applied to exchange by 31st December 2020. Whether you are considered a resident or not isn't up to you to decide, as there is a test you need to meet: spending 183 days + in a year, your economic centre of life is in Spain, or you have your spouse and/or dependent children in Spain.
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joppa
Only if you have applied to exchange by 31st December 2020. Whether you are considered a resident or not isn't up to you to decide, as there is a test you need to meet: spending 183 days + in a year, your economic centre of life is in Spain, or you have your spouse and/or dependent children in Spain.
So people that don’t take up official residency will still be able to drive on a UK licence. Why can’t they work out an exchange treaty when so many other countries with a less rigorous licence test have one in place. I feel that This just encourages people to be unofficial when residing in Spain. Again another rule that doesn’t affect undocumented Brits.
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
If you have to take the test then it really does pay not to be an official resident in Spain.

Why??? Spain only exchanges licences with the other 26 EU countries and 22 others, most of which have Spanish as their first language.

So that leaves 147 countries who need to take a test. Puts it in context eh...
Lots of forum members from the US, Canada etc have done what is needed so why can't others.

When we moved in August 2020 I didn't think we would get our residency sorted in time so I contacted a local driving school and they recommended someone to teach me the Spanish needed for the test and extra. As it happened we got our decision in early November and my licence went with an agent who serialised in this (suppose he may be unemployed now) and my Spanish licence turned up 4 months later.
I continued with the Spanish lessons anyway and even took a lesson with the driving school as they had been so helpful.

Oh just for fun the Uk has an exchange policy with approx 45 countries (most of the EU ones can still exchange but there are some conditions)
And surprise surprise most of the 'other countries' the Uk exchange with are English speaking nations.

And neither the EU or the UK accept US licences for exchange (well maybe the odd state)....
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Barriej
Why??? Spain only exchanges licences with the other 26 EU countries and 22 others, most of which have Spanish as their first language.

So that leaves 147 countries who need to take a test. Puts it in context eh...
Lots of forum members from the US, Canada etc have done what is needed so why can't others.

When we moved in August 2020 I didn't think we would get our residency sorted in time so I contacted a local driving school and they recommended someone to teach me the Spanish needed for the test and extra. As it happened we got our decision in early November and my licence went with an agent who serialised in this (suppose he may be unemployed now) and my Spanish licence turned up 4 months later.
I continued with the Spanish lessons anyway and even took a lesson with the driving school as they had been so helpful.

Oh just for fun the Uk has an exchange policy with approx 45 countries (most of the EU ones can still exchange but there are some conditions)
And surprise surprise most of the 'other countries' the Uk exchange with are English speaking nations.

And neither the EU or the UK accept US licences for exchange (well maybe the odd state)....
yea it is what it is. I’m prepared to do my Spanish test if needs be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.