Reload this Page >

Driving licence catch 22

Driving licence catch 22

Old Mar 20th 2012, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

jamiest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving licence catch 22

I have a headache from this.

I got nicked by the Guardia Civil back in August and fined for not having a Spanish licence, ok serves me right, I'm not complaining about that.

As a result I hied myself down to the Jefatura de Trafico and made my application to exchange my English licence for a Spanish one, so far so good, they took photocopies of my documents and said they had to send to UK for verification. Four months later I still had not heard anything from them and when I checked my licence I found I had to send it in for the picture to be changed.

Like a good law abiding idiot I did just that, the result was that my licence, both parts has now been lost in the post along with the £20 cheque I put into it.

Now concentrate, it gets worse.

I decided to ask the Trafico what was going on in January, they said they were still waiting for verification from Swansea, back home I go and speak to the department on the phone, explain the situation and lo and behold verification is sent, two weeks later I get a call from Trafico to go and collect after my medical.

I have the medical, no problems then go to Trafico again, I pay for the licence and join the queue.

The officer goes through all the paperwork and approves it and has my new licence ready to issue, but first I have to hand in my UK licence. It's perdido says I. Oh says he! and promptly takes my new licence back, refunds the fee and says I can't have it until I hand in my old one.

Back home I go and speak to Swansea again. They say that they cannot issue me with a new UK licence because I have now applied for a Spanish one.
I explain that I can't get it without the UK one, they say they have sent all the info needed and that's the end of it.

Back to Trafico this morning, I explain all this to an understanding young man who then goes to get advice, the result is without an original 'Green Sheet' (Counterpart) they cannot issue the licence. Back to Swansea, 'No we will not issue a new licence to you now because you have applied for a Spanish one.'

So you see what I mean by catch 22.

Any ideas?
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:19 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence catch 22

Originally Posted by jamiest

Any ideas?
Get pissed. I am.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

The system is set up to ensure you cannot end up with two licences. Somehow you need to persuade the Trafico to cancel your application and inform DVLA that they have done so and not issued you with a Spanish licence - they won't take your word for it.
Then you can start over by re-applying for a replacement UK licence - then go through the exchanging it for the Spanish one all over again.
Or
You could give up driving!
Old Mar 20th 2012, 10:34 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

The worst thing for you is that you don't need a Spanish licence, as the UK photo licence whilst valid is completely legal to use to drive in Spain. The fine you received was quite possibly erroneous ... so you should have been complaining about that!

@MikeJ - You cant re apply for a UK licence of you are no longer a UK resident and dont have a UK address, according to DVLA

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Mar 20th 2012 at 11:06 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MikeJ
The system is set up to ensure you cannot end up with two licences. Somehow you need to persuade the Trafico to cancel your application and inform DVLA that they have done so and not issued you with a Spanish licence - they won't take your word for it.
Then you can start over by re-applying for a replacement UK licence - then go through the exchanging it for the Spanish one all over again.
Or
You could give up driving!
Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
The worst thing for you is that you don't need a Spanish licence, as the UK photo licence whilst valid is completely legal to use to drive in Spain. The fine you received was quite possibly erroneous ... so you should have been complaining about that!

@MikeJ - You cant re apply for a UK licence of you are no longer a UK resident and dont have a UK address, according to DVLA
Ok, that's interesting.

As it happens I have to go back to UK next week for a fairly long stay while I refurbish a rental flat where the tenant has just died.

If I cancel the Trafico application before I go and then declare I am again a UK resident I suppose that might work.
( do have a permanent UK address as well where I pay CT and get bills and so on and I'm on the local electoral roll) I will be away for a few months at least I should think. It seems a bloody long way round the houses though.

Giving up driving is not an option where I live.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 7:26 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, that's interesting.

As it happens I have to go back to UK next week for a fairly long stay while I refurbish a rental flat where the tenant has just died.

If I cancel the Trafico application before I go and then declare I am again a UK resident I suppose that might work.
( do have a permanent UK address as well where I pay CT and get bills and so on and I'm on the local electoral roll) I will be away for a few months at least I should think. It seems a bloody long way round the houses though.

Giving up driving is not an option where I live.
that would work I should think

if it doesn't, I read somewhere recently that you can apply to the DVLA for something called a certificate of entitlement which you should/might be able to exchange for a Spanish licence

though as Mitzy said - your UK photo licence was legal anyway
Old Mar 21st 2012, 7:32 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

You could try approaching a Spanish Gestor or even a lawyer to help you in Spain, and hand any photocopies of documents to him. You would probably need legal assistance anyway to cancel your application for a Spanish licence.

The English option sounds easier, especially if you're going back for a while anyway. The DVLA must be easier to deal with than trafico?
Old Mar 21st 2012, 8:23 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

. Four months later I still had not heard anything from them and when I checked my licence I found I had to send it in for the picture to be changed.
That implies you were surprised to find that the picture needed renewing.

Could it be that it was past that date when you were stopped?

That would explain why you were fined.

The date on the front is the validity date of the licence which is 10 years from the last issue date. The date on the back (usually your 70th birthday) is the validity of your entitlement to drive - not the same thing.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:07 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

The date on the front is the validity date of the licence which is 10 years from the last issue date. The date on the back (usually your 70th birthday) is the validity of your entitlement to drive - not the same thing.
Its difficult to tell. I'm not sure most Spanish police would realise the picture date renewal even exists. The OP said he was fined for not having a Spanish licence, not that it was for having an invalid UK licence .... maybe that needs clarification as to which applies as there seems to be a four month gap :-)

I know it's not the correct and proper and "legal" way, but I know of several people that have done the photo update whilst living in Spain, using a UK address that they have (and no, that doesnt include me)

UK licence requirements / allowances are shown HERE

To the OP, I think you may have a bit of a problem now. I know what you are suggesting, but as you will read on the above link, you are unable to apply for a replacement licence if it is lost, because you are no longer a UK resident. I believe you can apply for a certificate of entitlement from the DVLA in order to get your Spanish one.

If you eventually move back to the UK you will be able to get yourself a UK licence to replace your Spanish one
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnxa
that would work I should think

if it doesn't, I read somewhere recently that you can apply to the DVLA for something called a certificate of entitlement which you should/might be able to exchange for a Spanish licence

though as Mitzy said - your UK photo licence was legal anyway
That was the verification they asked for.

Originally Posted by HBG
You could try approaching a Spanish Gestor or even a lawyer to help you in Spain, and hand any photocopies of documents to him. You would probably need legal assistance anyway to cancel your application for a Spanish licence.

The English option sounds easier, especially if you're going back for a while anyway. The DVLA must be easier to deal with than trafico?
I hope I don't have to employ a lawyer for this, I intend to tell the DVLA that I'm going to be in UK permanently, then change my mind when I'm ready.

Originally Posted by Fred James

No, the picture was due for renewal in January, that's why I sent it off.

Its difficult to tell. I'm not sure most Spanish police would realise the picture date renewal even exists. The OP said he was fined for not having a Spanish licence, not that it was for having an invalid UK licence .... maybe that needs clarification as to which applies as there seems to be a four month gap :-)

I know it's not the correct and proper and "legal" way, but I know of several people that have done the photo update whilst living in Spain, using a UK address that they have (and no, that doesnt include me)

UK licence requirements / allowances are shown HERE

To the OP, I think you may have a bit of a problem now. I know what you are suggesting, but as you will read on the above link, you are unable to apply for a replacement licence if it is lost, because you are no longer a UK resident. I believe you can apply for a certificate of entitlement from the DVLA in order to get your Spanish one.

If you eventually move back to the UK you will be able to get yourself a UK licence to replace your Spanish one
That's the plan.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:59 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

When I was recently stopped, at an alcohol control, the GC was not happy I had a non-Spanish licence. I have registered the said licence with traffico and they gave me a piece of paper to add inside the DL. This bit of paper has my DNI, my address and is stamped by Traffico. To obtain this bit of paper I had to pass a medical too.

I would have contested the fine if it had been issued.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Strikes me as another load of rubbish we were told all those years back when we entered the Common Market which ended up with beauracratic nightmare we now have called the EU.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Strikes me as another load of rubbish we were told all those years back when we entered the Common Market which ended up with beauracratic nightmare we now have called the EU.
I drive a RH drive car with full Spanish matriculation i.e. Spanish plates and all the required documentation. I was stopped 2 weeks ago on the road going into Oliva, showed my UK driving licence, insurance etc. Absolutely no probs whatsoever. The only comment was that my paperwork etc should be the originals and not copies but "es no importante" says he.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

What GC who don't know what they are doing ?, I don't believe it!
Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

I have a headache from this.

I got nicked by the Guardia Civil back in August and fined for not having a Spanish licence, ok serves me right, I'm not complaining about that.

As a result I hied myself down to the Jefatura de Trafico and made my application to exchange my English licence for a Spanish one, so far so good, they took photocopies of my documents and said they had to send to UK for verification. Four months later I still had not heard anything from them and when I checked my licence I found I had to send it in for the picture to be changed.

Like a good law abiding idiot I did just that, the result was that my licence, both parts has now been lost in the post along with the £20 cheque I put into it.

Now concentrate, it gets worse.

I decided to ask the Trafico what was going on in January, they said they were still waiting for verification from Swansea, back home I go and speak to the department on the phone, explain the situation and lo and behold verification is sent, two weeks later I get a call from Trafico to go and collect after my medical.

I have the medical, no problems then go to Trafico again, I pay for the licence and join the queue.

The officer goes through all the paperwork and approves it and has my new licence ready to issue, but first I have to hand in my UK licence. It's perdido says I. Oh says he! and promptly takes my new licence back, refunds the fee and says I can't have it until I hand in my old one.

Back home I go and speak to Swansea again. They say that they cannot issue me with a new UK licence because I have now applied for a Spanish one.
I explain that I can't get it without the UK one, they say they have sent all the info needed and that's the end of it.

Back to Trafico this morning, I explain all this to an understanding young man who then goes to get advice, the result is without an original 'Green Sheet' (Counterpart) they cannot issue the licence. Back to Swansea, 'No we will not issue a new licence to you now because you have applied for a Spanish one.'

So you see what I mean by catch 22.

Any ideas?
Re apply for your UK license from a UK address , simples and dont get a Spanish one afterwards as you dont have to , and remember not to send any applications to Swansea from a foreign address as it will go straight in the bin , send it to a UK mate to forward it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.