Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving down to CE tolls and stops

Driving down to CE tolls and stops

Old May 14th 2021, 4:58 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving down to CE tolls and stops

Originally Posted by MikeJ
If you are taking a bit of time you might consider Segovia - home of suckling pig gastronomy. We stayed at the parador which is just a short way from the centre but gives a magnificent view of Segovia and its aqueduct.
or
Avila if you like to experience an almost intact medieval fortified city.
or
Plasencia - a bit further on than Salamanca but easily reached if you stay at Baissain. Again the parador is a well located hotel, former nunnery built next to the city walls but with a large secure carpark underneath. Short stroll to the plaza mayor to sit and watch the world go by while you choose your eatery.
We are hoping to get out to CE via Santander in September.
MikeJ
Thanks Mike...

Because we dont drive down (normally).. we dont know these wonderful places to visit (and eat at nice restos !! ) en-route. I've made a note of all these.

That old adage of 'enjoy the journey, not just the destination' is making more sense these days!

Maybe its wishful thinking, but we are dreaming of going in June (we will both have had our vax2's by 26/5) driving down with no pre-booking of flights and cars etc means we can 'pull the trigger' quickly... jump into the car... And stop at some wonderful places along the way....

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 14th 2021 at 5:13 am.
Old May 14th 2021, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by MikeJ
We have tickets for 2nd September - rebooked from last year! Fingers crossed at the moment.
Have you seen that Brittany Ferries are planning a new route to Porto in Portugal. I think this might be a couple of hours shorter than Santander and new places to see.
Old May 14th 2021, 7:32 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivia
Have you seen that Brittany Ferries are planning a new route to Porto in Portugal. I think this might be a couple of hours shorter than Santander and new places to see.
Thanks, this made me check it out...

https://www.portugalresident.com/fer...irline-prices/

Jon
Old May 14th 2021, 7:35 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

“Taking the ferry means there’s no need to mingle in a busy terminal building, or arrivals hall, alongside passengers from multiple destinations”.
Old May 19th 2021, 8:50 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi

A few years ago I posted about the badge that you can buy that allows you to sail through the French tolls (at 30km/hr.. Its fantastic, and beats the queues! ).. The badge also included the possibility to go through the other automatic tolls in Spain without paying immediately and also (usefully) the electronic tolls in Portugal (and Italy too). You only pay an admin charge for the (full) month you use it 1.70 euros and the normal toll charges charges are paid directly by your account. No use in a month - no admin charge. There is also a one off entry charge and delivery charge of the transponder badge.

We usually rent a car at Faro and pay the transponder surcharge for the PT tolls. However this year we are driving down as we don't want to be stuck in Spain again (as last year in lockdown - with our airline grounded). We did get back after a hellish trip involving delays, 2 flights and long waits at the airport..... and 18 hours travel! We prefer to jump in the car in case of any new CV19 emergency, to head back. Likewise as soon as any travel restrictions are removed, we want to jump in the car and head down. So today I ordered the badge. Here are the details in case you are interested.

MANGO Livret bienvenue -- GB --.pdf (aprr.fr) and
France, Espagne, Portugal | Mango mobilités (mango-mobilitesbyaprr.com)

We are planning on stopping on the way (we'll be going around Paris) then South West towards Bordeaux then past Salamanca to CE. Weve heard that Irun is a great stop, but wondering about other recommendations. Is Salamanca worth a break, please? Any other recommendations would be appreciated (we've done Biarritz and St Jean de Luz, previously). We haven't driven down for 13+ years so a lot would have changed

Jon
An update on this post attached. I'm replying to my own post only to save you scrolling up through other posts

This morning, I received my telepeage/toll pass or transponder giving hassle free automatic travel through the motorway toll gates ...In the 4 countries..... As attached
All I have to do is return my France-only transponder that Ive had for years... Im sure they will bin it!
​​​
A very smooth ordering process, so I'm chuffed. Lets hope it works in practice! It should do as I initially posted about this multi-country pass a few years ago, and problems should be sorted now.

Jon

Old Jun 6th 2021, 7:56 am
BE Positive

Yess as of 9 June, both France and Spain allow test-free travel to vax2's.. (Spain 07/06) So our plan to drive down (from Brussels) for the first time in 13+ years is working! We didn't want to book flights as we wanted the flexibility to go when we wanted, based on the never ending changes (especially when you add up the the combined border-entry rules for 3 countries). We can also return at the drop of a hat if we see trouble brewing, and NOT be stuck again in lockdown airlines grounded. If we have to quarantine on return, so be it, we're used to it now!!

We are splitting up the trip in 4x6hr segments to make it fun... And if you've followed the thread, we booked a hotel in Tolosa where we have also booked a table at that renowned steak resto I mentioned earlier.

Then CE AT LAST!! CAN'T WAIT!

It means we'll also be there for much of the footy! Never missed one Euro or World cup in CE. . and the ambiance of watching Portugal play in a Portuguese bar, or Spain in a Spanish one .... with Belgian friends in suitable bar ... Or England in one if the 'English pubs' is great fun!

Jon
PS though I support multiple teams, when alls said and done.... Come on England!!