Reload this Page >

Driving across spain with a dog

Driving across spain with a dog

Old Mar 16th 2007, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

brightonchris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving across spain with a dog

Hi
Does anyone have any advice on driving across Spain with a dog ? I am particularly looking for any advice re "dog friendly" accomodation for an overnight stopover on the way from the ferry ports to the Valencian coast. I have a well behaived labrador but realise that he might not be every hotels owners favourite guest !
thanks
Old Mar 17th 2007, 3:19 am
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Driving across spain with a dog

Originally Posted by brightonchris
Hi
Does anyone have any advice on driving across Spain with a dog ? I am particularly looking for any advice re "dog friendly" accomodation for an overnight stopover on the way from the ferry ports to the Valencian coast. I have a well behaived labrador but realise that he might not be every hotels owners favourite guest !
thanks
Hi all!
I will be interested in responses also brightonchris, as we intend to do the same when its our time to move out to Spain!
Old Mar 17th 2007, 8:43 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving across spain with a dog

Hi
thanks
Google is your friend HERE
Old Mar 17th 2007, 9:54 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, if I were driving any long distance with a dog, I'd keep one eye open when it was their turn to drive.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 10:24 am
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
thanks
I am hoping to take my boxer when we go,from what I have read be carefull not to leave your dog in the car even with the window open,it is against the law and the Police can break in the car to let the dog out ,and you get fined.How did you get on with taking the dog on the ferrie ?Good Luck
Old Mar 17th 2007, 10:42 am
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Driving across spain with a dog

Originally Posted by derbyflan
Personally, if I were driving any long distance with a dog, I'd keep one eye open when it was their turn to drive.
Lol!
Old Mar 17th 2007, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking of taking my dog back via road to UK from Malaga. Anyone else done it and how have they had their jabs for tapeworm and tics down. Did you do it and go hell for leather back, or find a vet in France and have them done there. It's the not before 24 hours and no later than 48 before arriving in UK made me wonder if I would be better to find a vet in France.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 9:55 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I'm thinking of taking my dog back via road to UK from Malaga. Anyone else done it and how have they had their jabs for tapeworm and tics down. Did you do it and go hell for leather back, or find a vet in France and have them done there. It's the not before 24 hours and no later than 48 before arriving in UK made me wonder if I would be better to find a vet in France.
Yes it's do-able - treatment done in Antequera, Malaga, made it to Cherbourg within the permitted timescale (21 hrs driving)...slept in back of van with dog for a few hours on the way.
Please check and double check all your dog's paperwork yourself - the Spanish vet had made 2 cock ups on the paperwork for the dog we were transporting for a friend: a missed digit for the microchip number and he'd put down the wrong time for the tick etc treatment. It was only thanks to the helpfulness of the Brittany Ferries employee who took it upon himself to speak to the Spanish vet (who was NOT helpful and indeed put the phone down on the poor ferry guy) that it got sorted.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 3:26 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

Unhappy Re: Driving across spain with a dog

Hi all!
What's all this? Haven't heard of this! We expected to see vet re what local innoculations our dog would need once we arrive in Spain. We intend to go through tunnel and drive all the way to (wherever it is we end up going!), but what is this tapeworm/tick time thing, and is it UK to Spain, or Spain to UK? We weren't sure whether you could stay with your dog on the ferry, and don't want to put him through the stress of separation when flying! Now I am getting worried that there is another obstacle and with a time limit. I have now got visions of us driving redeyed full pelt down the autopitsa trying to get to out final destination , with the dog crossing his legs desperate to go to the loo!!!
Please help me! I need a valium now! Maybe a bacardi and coke wold be better, yeah!
Old Mar 18th 2007, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you need it from UK, but if you go back with dog to the UK, you will need the tapeworm and tic inoculations. I think it is much easier taking a dog out of the UK than it is bringing one back in. I'm looking at flying only with someone who has a small plane and dog can sit at the back with us.....one of my business partner's contacts has one, and apparently he only charges for the fuel which is 200 quid and if there is 4 off us, it won't be xpensive and added bonus of taking the dog. I wouldn't put her on a commercial plane think it would stress her out too much, unless of course they put me in the hold with her to calm her down.....so if you see a woman in a cage next to a GS - you know it's me..

Originally Posted by chrisw
Hi all!
What's all this? Haven't heard of this! We expected to see vet re what local innoculations our dog would need once we arrive in Spain. We intend to go through tunnel and drive all the way to (wherever it is we end up going!), but what is this tapeworm/tick time thing, and is it UK to Spain, or Spain to UK? We weren't sure whether you could stay with your dog on the ferry, and don't want to put him through the stress of separation when flying! Now I am getting worried that there is another obstacle and with a time limit. I have now got visions of us driving redeyed full pelt down the autopitsa trying to get to out final destination , with the dog crossing his legs desperate to go to the loo!!!
Please help me! I need a valium now! Maybe a bacardi and coke wold be better, yeah!
Old Mar 18th 2007, 4:32 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

Talking Re: Driving across spain with a dog

I don't think you need it from UK, but if you go back with dog to the UK, you will need the tapeworm and tic inoculations. I think it is much easier taking a dog out of the UK than it is bringing one back in. I'm looking at flying only with someone who has a small plane and dog can sit at the back with us.....one of my business partner's contacts has one, and apparently he only charges for the fuel which is 200 quid and if there is 4 off us, it won't be xpensive and added bonus of taking the dog. I wouldn't put her on a commercial plane think it would stress her out too much, unless of course they put me in the hold with her to calm her down.....so if you see a woman in a cage next to a GS - you know it's me..
Lol Thanks Mercedes, What a relief! If I had to fly, same as you it would be me needing the calming down worrying about my dog, so I'd be the stressed out woman in the next cage to you!
Old Mar 18th 2007, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Val W is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you do need tick and tapeworm to leave Britain to go to Spain. I know a cat does and can't see a dog being any different. You need it done between 24-48 hours of entering Spain.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 4:51 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew with Monarch airlines with my dog. All I can say is never never again. The dog wasnt too bad, took him a day to get over it. But me, well what can I say? The cabin crew must have thought I had lost the plot!!!! I cried all the way, and as soon as we had taken off I ask to move seats so I could sit above my dog who was with the luggage!!! I thought he may be able to sense me there
Old Mar 18th 2007, 5:15 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

Unhappy Re: Driving across spain with a dog

Originally Posted by sam parky
I flew with Monarch airlines with my dog. All I can say is never never again. The dog wasnt too bad, took him a day to get over it. But me, well what can I say? The cabin crew must have thought I had lost the plot!!!! I cried all the way, and as soon as we had taken off I ask to move seats so I could sit above my dog who was with the luggage!!! I thought he may be able to sense me there
Ahhhh, youv'e nearly got me crying, I can't stand it! I just could not imagine what that must of felt like!. When we went on hols a couple of years ago, we put our dog in kennels. They had been highly rcommended to us and treated the animals like their own pets. We took our dog there, and it was smaller than I had imagined. By the time I got home I was crying uncontrolably and both my husband and myself decided we would not go if it meant leaving him there. I had been taking an aspirin every day for a few days to try and assist in preventing DVT. When I looked in the mirror to dry my eyes when my husband had gone back to pick the dog up, I had developed a big blood blister under my eye!
Well when my husband got to the kennels, the woman apoligised as she had been so busy when we checked our dog in, and she explained that there was a big run from our dog's kennel, so we left him there. We went on our hols, and everyone thought my husband had biffed me in the eye as it took several days to clear up!
When we got home, we went straight round to pick our dog up. (More tears coming up!) he had developed kennel cough (yes we did have him innoculated) and they had telephoned the vet who told them to give him cheldrens cough medicine! He stank to high heaven so was bathed as SOON as we got home, and again the following day, and although his bedding had been washed also stank and had to be washed. He ignored us all the way home in the car! (Oh my breaking heart!) We later found out that the kennel had changed hands. Needless to say never took him back!
So there is no WAY I am putting him, or myself through that trauma again!
Beam me up Scotty!
Old Mar 18th 2007, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need tick and tapeworm treatment to take a dog OUT of the UK (only to get back in).

We brought our dog over to Spain 13 months ago, on the Portsmouth to Caen ferry. We chose the shortest possible crossing (about 5 and a half hours, I think?) because I was worried sick about how she'd cope!

We were allowed to go below deck at a designated time to check on her......and she was snoozing peacefully, and completely unphased!

Incidentally, we knew we had no intention of our dog going backwards and forwards to the Uk - once she got here, that was it. Therefore, she only needed to be microchipped and have a rabies vaccination - that was it.
NB: The rabies vaccination has to be repeated every TWO years in Spain, whereas it's valid for 3 in some other countries. Your vet should advise you, once you get here.
No blood tests needed, because she wasn't going to re-enter the UK.
Made it all much quicker and more straight forward.

Does that help at all, chrisw?

As to the original question about dog friendly accommodation, have you seen this previous thread at all?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=formule1

I posted details of a cheap, dog friendly "hotel" chain that we used in France (post no: 5)
They do have some hotels in Spain too - have a look at their website; maybe they'll be something in the area you're going to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.