Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

DRIVIG LICENCES.

DRIVIG LICENCES.

Old Nov 22nd 2020, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

inbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DRIVIG LICENCES.

I thought you needed a digital certificate or a Cl@ve to do it. Getiing one of those is fraught with difficulties as per usuall.
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I went to an office in Alicante with my residencia (pre TIE days) passport and padron and I got a digital certificate - not 'fraught with difficulty' at all.
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
Watch out the cost. Around here, a gestor will charge around 140€ and an avogado around 200€ (including IVA).
Im not bothered as long as it gets done. Our solicitors have said about €80.00 and that includes coming with me for the hand over. Obviously have to add the 'medical' to that cost.
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
In the mean time people like me may end up driving around without a licence if it goes beyond July 2021.
That would be highly inadvisable!
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

And could invalidate insurance - rather you than me.
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I think it will change. They just need to add the UK to the "Convenio" list. This is the sort of thing that should get sorted out unilaterally after the Brexit dust settles.
I wouldn't bank on it, if there had been a wiil they surely would have found a way.

They've had plenty of time and it would have been quicker, easier, and cheaper, than setting up the preregistration scheme they now have.

​​​​​​​I think the only thing which would force them into action would be UK introducing a reciprocal arrangement, that would definitely get their attention very swiftly!

Old Nov 23rd 2020, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the police didn't want substantial number of UK drivers continue driving on UK licence, as it will be easier to police them if they have to carry Spanish licence.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
I wouldn't bank on it, if there had been a wiil they surely would have found a way.

They've had plenty of time and it would have been quicker, easier, and cheaper, than setting up the preregistration scheme they now have.

I think the only thing which would force them into action would be UK introducing a reciprocal arrangement, that would definitely get their attention very swiftly!
There already is a UK agreement. In the withdrawal agreement it stated that EU drivers were not compelled to exchange licences if they didn't want too.

And on the UK. Gov site it clearly states that an exchange system is one of the things still to be talked about.

I want to change my licence. But it would have been nice for the authorities to have extended the system as per the residency so I and many others who are struggling to get residency due to covid could have a little more time.

​​​​​​​
​​
Old Nov 25th 2020, 11:01 am
Just Joined

simonbear is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you need a medical check beforehand also?
Old Nov 25th 2020, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by simonbear
Do you need a medical check beforehand also?
From my conversations with the solicitor and a neighbour who is also going through the same things.

No medical if its just a swap and the licence runs out within 10 years, I'm happy with just 6 years on mine (I have one of the newer 10 year licences not one with my 70th on), but it all again depends on the day, the traffic officer, what he or she or they had for lunch etc.

Yes if you want a new licence with a full 10 years, or you are medically unfit, or at a certain age.

Im going to get a 'medical' anyway as there is a place near us who will pass a blind person (and has done from the stories I've heard in the local bar)

Of course when you make the first application now (if you don't have residency) there is no info as to what you have to provide when you go for the face to face. Im assuming here that this info is given once you go to make the second appointment.

Don't know what the system is for those of you who have residency but are now panicking about your licence though.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Living in Spain GOV:UK

Driving in Spain - just been updated

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...iving-in-spain
Old Nov 25th 2020, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

quixote is an unknown quantity at this point

I gave this info from the Uk embassy to our solicitor on monday and they logged in with three digital get and told me the form asks for proof of residency (which is no good to those of us who are struggling to get sorted before the end of Dec)
Our paperwork for residency was submitted online to Alicante yesterday but the average wait for its approval (and a reference number that might be able to be used for the exchange) could be around 4 to 6 weeks.
I'm probably in the same bind - submitted without NIE on 11/11 in Seville. If anyone's in touch with the Brit Embassy and has a chance to mention this problem, please do!
Old Nov 25th 2020, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

There already is a UK agreement. In the withdrawal agreement it stated that EU drivers were not compelled to exchange licences if they didn't want too.​​
Where does it say that, proper link to official info please.

Here's the WA as adopted into law, neither word 'driving' or 'licence' appear in it.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...XT(02)&from=EN

Old Nov 26th 2020, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Loidly is an unknown quantity at this point

How does this affect the very late arrivals, such as myself? I'll be arriving on the 21st of December and have no chance of getting an NIE in time. Does this mean I'll simply have to re-take my test?
Old Nov 26th 2020, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

simonbear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loidly
How does this affect the very late arrivals, such as myself? I'll be arriving on the 21st of December and have no chance of getting an NIE in time. Does this mean I'll simply have to re-take my test?
You can get your NIE before you arrive, we did. Not sure about the swap however - I was told today we have to go to our Gestor in person first, with our licenses.