Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Drive UK to Spain

Drive UK to Spain

Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

lavillegour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Drive UK to Spain

I'll be driving from Uk to Spain (Costa Blanca) during mid September - probably Calais thru France etc. -- Santander too expensive !

Have you done it ?

Any advice would be appreciated
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drive UK to Spain

Try http://www.viamichelin.co.uk and put in likes and dislikes. Less tolls on Calais, Rouen, Tours, Bordeaux, Pau, Sompfort tunnel, Zarragosa, Valencia. Alternatively Calais, Rouen, le Mans, Tours, Vierzon, Limosin, Toulouse, Girona, Barcelona, Valencia but it is expensive.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be watching this thread with interest as I am planning to come over myself soon so I want to find out the best route and prices of ferries etc. which are the best ferries to use for my two dogs. I'm hoping to come to el Campello if we can get a rental sorted.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

I did it last year but in July. Went Calais Rouen Orleans Limoges Angouleme Bordeaux Bayonne Vitoria Gasteiz Burgos Madrid ( no traffic jams!) Valdepenas Cordoba and Seville. missed out quite a few toll roads.
Pete
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Location: Javea by choice / Kazakhstan mostly / UK sometimes!
Mykap will become famous soon enough

I regularly travel from Javea to Calais and vice versa.

My preferred route is always via Saragossa and Pamplona to Bordeaux. Then on to Tours, LeMans Rouen (not good) and Calais. I avoid any route taking me near Paris! (Reverse if heading South...)

I usually stop overnight in Bordeaux, the Holiday Inn is good value, its on the by pass so easy access to your route, has secure parking and is close to a Carrefour Hypermarket for stocking up on French wine and goodies at better than ferry/tunnel prices.

The toll roads in France make the journey easy but boring, a good guide to the toll costs is on the AA site. You can use your credit card at the toll gates - much quicker than cash.

theaa.com/allaboutcars/overseas/european_tolls_results.jsp?country=France

IMHO its worth the extra using non toll roads will add 4-6 hours to your journey but if you want to avoid plenty of advice on this site....

about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

If you want to sight see consider going through the Pyrenees/Andorra but it will add significant time to the journey and probably another overnight stop.

I'll be returning to the UK in September and will go via the Millau viaduct for the photo opportunity then up through Germany to the Hook of Holland ferry.

Beware of the new french rules on breath test kits in the car, no laser detection devices and speed camera locations on your GPS. Plenty of info on the AA site. If you search my posts there is a thread on this subject with some 'interesting' comments. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=744472

Finally don't try to do it in one go even if you have two drivers. Take an overnight stop.

Last edited by Mykap; Aug 29th 2012 at 4:17 am.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:23 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lavillegour
I'll be driving from Uk to Spain (Costa Blanca) during mid September - probably Calais thru France etc. -- Santander too expensive !

Have you done it ?

You could post again on the France forum for the France part - there are plenty of us in the South West who can give practical info on all the various itineraries possible.
As mentioned, the Millau Viaduct on the A75 and the scenic beauty of the Auvergne (plus that autoroute is free from Clermont-Ferrand to Béziers where you join the A9) is recommended.
Hope this helps!
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:13 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
I did it last year but in July. Went Calais Rouen Orleans Limoges Angouleme Bordeaux Bayonne Vitoria Gasteiz Burgos Madrid ( no traffic jams!) Valdepenas Cordoba and Seville. missed out quite a few toll roads.
Pete
did that back in December 11, except I dropped down to Granada.
Angouleme is a large place, plenty of hotels and restaurants to meet all pockets.
Plenty of roadworks around the west of Madrid, it was Dec, dark, raining, not a happy time.
In April 11 we came the same way thru France but came over the mountains to Pamplona. We made the mistake of missing a turnoff to Taragona and entered the roadworks around Sarragossa - which was horrendous.

On both occaisions, other than a hotel booked at Calais so a good night's sleep obtained before the heavy bit, all overnites were just walk in and ask for a room. Never a problem, seemed to be plenty of capacity in the smaller places.
with planning I am sure you can find some very nice family run places if you have the time to spend.

hope the journey goes well
let us know all the gory details - we could be the next ones doing it
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lavillegour

Have you done it ?

Have a look at this link, very economical re tolls etc.

http://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael74
Have a look at this link, very economical re tolls etc.

http://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm
As an after thought, I prefer to come down through Pau in France and then its toll free down to south of Valencia
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:25 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

So many options, but worth bearing in mind is that unless travelling from the extreme S.W.corner of England, Portsmouth is no further than Dover and in most cases closer as well as easier traffic wise.
That leaves a number of options of which for me the best by far is the overnight ferry to St Malo allowing a good nights sleep on the ferry and a much shorter and much easier trip down the West side of France.
Overnight at Bayonne then via Zaragoza to Costa Blanca by mid afternoon next day, again an easy and fairly traffic free run on a brand new motorway.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:36 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

When I did my run last December I was fully booked to ferry into N. Spain but it was cancelled at the last minute so had to drive thru the tunnel.
And it rained all the way through France, cats, dogs, and anything else it could hit me with.
if the ferry had been able to run it would have been a spewy time indeed with all those choppy bits in the Bay of Biscay.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:24 am
Just Joined

dawnp is an unknown quantity at this point

just arrived in Granada from UK yesterday...
We made a break of it and stayed overnight 6 hotels on route..Did Folkestone Eurotunnel (35 mins to Calais) overnight in Coquelles next to Tunnel Etap Hotel..
2nd night to Le Mans, ibis Hotel, then Tolouse, Tarragona 2 nights, Alcoy and home
1760 miles..12 toll stops - no problems at all, plenty of service stations, petrol stops and picnic areas with loos on route France and Spain
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Abyss-Rover is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dawnp
just arrived in Granada from UK yesterday...
We made a break of it and stayed overnight 6 hotels on route..Did Folkestone Eurotunnel (35 mins to Calais) overnight in Coquelles next to Tunnel Etap Hotel..
2nd night to Le Mans, ibis Hotel, then Tolouse, Tarragona 2 nights, Alcoy and home
1760 miles..12 toll stops - no problems at all, plenty of service stations, petrol stops and picnic areas with loos on route France and Spain
I used to get the 02:00 Dover to Dunkerque, get through the west of Paris before the rush hour and be in Barcelona for the 23:30 ferry to Palma Mallorca, never going over 60mph
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mykap
I regularly travel from Javea to Calais and vice versa.

My preferred route is always via Saragossa and Pamplona to Bordeaux. Then on to Tours, LeMans Rouen (not good) and Calais. I avoid any route taking me near Paris! (Reverse if heading South...)

I usually stop overnight in Bordeaux, the Holiday Inn is good value, its on the by pass so easy access to your route, has secure parking and is close to a Carrefour Hypermarket for stocking up on French wine and goodies at better than ferry/tunnel prices.

The toll roads in France make the journey easy but boring, a good guide to the toll costs is on the AA site. You can use your credit card at the toll gates - much quicker than cash.

theaa.com/allaboutcars/overseas/european_tolls_results.jsp?country=France

IMHO its worth the extra using non toll roads will add 4-6 hours to your journey but if you want to avoid plenty of advice on this site....

about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

If you want to sight see consider going through the Pyrenees/Andorra but it will add significant time to the journey and probably another overnight stop.

I'll be returning to the UK in September and will go via the Millau viaduct for the photo opportunity then up through Germany to the Hook of Holland ferry.

Beware of the new french rules on breath test kits in the car, no laser detection devices and speed camera locations on your GPS. Plenty of info on the AA site. If you search my posts there is a thread on this subject with some 'interesting' comments. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=744472

Finally don't try to do it in one go even if you have two drivers. Take an overnight stop.
Don't worry about the "ethyltests"/alcohol tests as they call them in French. Last week, none of the Pharmacies nor supermarkets had them in stock. We were told they might not be available there till October; due to come into law on Nov 1st.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
Don't worry about the "ethyltests"/alcohol tests as they call them in French. Last week, none of the Pharmacies nor supermarkets had them in stock. We were told they might not be available there till October; due to come into law on Nov 1st.
when it was first announced Amazon had listings for plenty of sources

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.