Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Don't worry - Europe will save us!

Don't worry - Europe will save us!

Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:39 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don't worry - Europe will save us!

UK (and Spanish) car firms will get European funding

The European Investment Bank (EIB) has approved funding for two carmakers in the UK, Jaguar Land Rover and Nissan.

The EIB approved a £340m (366m euros) package for Jaguar Land Rover to help cut vehicle emissions.

And it awarded Nissan £370m (400m euros) - to be split equally between its plants in Sunderland and Spain - to build more fuel-efficient vehicles.
bbc report

Fairly small stuff compared to the 100s of billions being made available to the banks, but it's a start

Can anyone guess what the level of inflation will be next year?
Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:50 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice
Default Re: Don't worry - Europe will save us!

Spanish banks have recieved 39 billion Euro`s by the EU.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by livit
Spanish banks have recieved 39 billion Euro`s by the EU.

I thought that the EU gave money to farmers, not banks.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:36 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by whitelinen
The European Central Bank operates the same as the Bank of England.

"Spain might be unable to set its own interest rates, but it does appear that its banking system is being propped up very generously by the European Central Bank, as Ambrose Evans-Pritchard points out in today's Telegraph".

The fall of the Euro may well be caused by over extending membership to countries who are developing rather than developed.

Many view the reason the UK hasn`t joined was this concern that the current crisis could bring the collapse of the EU.

Once the ECB starts suffering there isn`t much that can be done to save it.

A bit like London before it caught fire, only took a small mistake in a bakery to destroy a city.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
UK (and Spanish) car firms will get European funding

bbc report

Fairly small stuff compared to the 100s of billions being made available to the banks, but it's a start

Can anyone guess what the level of inflation will be next year?
Come on Stevie, not a fair question! Anyone who could forecast that with accuracy really would be a genius.
BUT, it may be different in the UK and in Spain.
UK last food price inflation figures I saw were nearly 7 percent. Council tax this year the smallest I have seen. Across the board about 3 percent I think.
Train fares increased by 10 percent here, I think 7 percent nationally. Stripping out the reduction in VAT, the last increase in CPI should have been about 4.1 percent I think Liam Halligan estimated.

And all that is before the Bank started printing money. So I would think you can be pretty certain that it will be higher than now.

Personally, I think double figures by the Spring.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

According to the Chief Economist of the Bank of England interest rates will 'increase with vigour' to keep inflation in check.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...economist.html

I can't wait!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
According to the Chief Economist of the Bank of England interest rates will 'increase with vigour' to keep inflation in check.

I can't wait!

Note the weasel word "could" in the link. Absolutely not the same as "will", or even "would".

Besides, if they wait till it appears, they will have missed the target.

Given that they failed to raise rates in 2003 and 2005/6 when it would have forestalled the bubble, I don't think I will be holding my breath.

But we can hope can't we?

Last edited by bigglesworth; Apr 9th 2009 at 12:58 pm. Reason: Clarity
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I can't wait!
Mmmm, I remember having a mortgage that rose to 14 %
Surely not again at this time with all the silly mortgages about now.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Those were the days. I made a fortune just by keeping my money in the bank!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe Gordon, an "ex" Marxist, remembers Marx's dictum - History repeats itself, first as tragedy, next as farce - and is bent on making it come true?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:19 pm
Banned

When govt start printing money, inflation rises.

Cost of living will increase substantial, shoppers stop buying beyond necessities.

Mortgages stagnate.

Situation melt down.

Maybe time we chose politicians for there business qualifications rather than there popularity.

You wouldn`t employ a person without seeing there CV.

Yet voters decide.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Those were the days. I made a fortune just by keeping my money in the bank!
But not as much as I made on my house in a few years, my property went up about 400 % by the time I sold it.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Well Europe only gives money to those that have lots of it or as a carrot on a string to suck other fools into it's trap, and the Spanish banks being the richest in Europe if not the world what would you expect!

Last edited by Econ; Apr 11th 2009 at 5:49 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 7:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Econ
the Spanish banks being the richest in Europe if not the world what would you expect!
That`s a long shot.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

If Europe is the answer, you have to wonder what the heck is the question?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...n-demands.html

Scarey stuff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.