Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Dont buy a bar in spain

Dont buy a bar in spain

Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:07 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dont buy a bar in spain

Originally Posted by jackytoo
What did they exactly do? Spend about 3 months in Spain and probably lost a lot of money. May have well as took a year out and chilled out on the beach, would probably have cost less.

Many buy a bar here they have to pay around 1000 euro a month rent, plus 700 euro for apartment rent. Add utilities etc. They woud need to have at least 50 people in every night getting pissed out of their brain just to break even. If someone is going to chuck their life savings into a dream at least spend a couple of thousand on business advice...do the math.
what did they do.they had a go.life is all ifs and buts but they had the balls to have a go.its only time and money.look at the poor sods in the india attack.they have lost a bit more than time and money and they were chilling out.Buissnes advise yes I agree but when you have your heart set on a dream you can have all the best advise in the world and you wont listen.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
what did they do.they had a go.life is all ifs and buts but they had the balls to have a go.its only time and money.look at the poor sods in the india attack.they have lost a bit more than time and money and they were chilling out.Buissnes advise yes I agree but when you have your heart set on a dream you can have all the best advise in the world and you wont listen.
They gave it a go... against the advice of everyone on here. They didn`t listen and they thought that they could do it.

The best they can do now is give their hands-on advice to others who are thinking of following suit and hope that they listen.

Everyone can say I Told You So.. they could have given up and gone home quietly - but they are brave enough to say they have failed.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:32 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebsyW
The best they can do now is give their hands-on advice to others who are thinking of following suit and hope that they listen.
Others took the time to give them their hands-on advice and they still went ahead anyway...so it is unlikely their own advice will be heeded any more than ours was first time around...
Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Others took the time to give them their hands-on advice and they still went ahead anyway...so it is unlikely their own advice will be heeded any more than ours was first time around...
I know. Nowt as queer as folk. That`s why I`m still here and not there... I`m not stupid, I`m waiting for a better time. If it comes, good, if not well....
Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

They gave it a go... against the advice of everyone on here. They didn`t listen and they thought that they could do it.

Everyone can say I Told You So.. they could have given up and gone home quietly - but they are brave enough to say they have failed.
Agree with your main point,but for me the only failure is not to try.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:40 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

yes they could give first hand advise but in turn the others wont listen.its like a chain.and all the told you so brigade have proberly never had the balls to try any thing.you could work all your life in a secure job then they tell you that they have blown your pension.so the bar failed and they are back to square one.Ive been like that a few times.people with nothing but a house in spain and a morgage could easly find thenselves in the same boat as them if things get any worse.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:02 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Trying something and being courageous in life means being inovative and trying something new, not following the sheep. Pre-internet days people could unwillingly fall, no excuse now.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Says a lot for our national character that in the land of Cervantes,where we live, so many of us are compelled to cry, "Told you so" when something goes wrong for someone who has a dream. Perhaps if we had all listened to peoples advice we would still be living in caves.

Someone once quoted to me, "Never regret what you did only what you didn't do for life is not a rehearsal."

Jim

L
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:50 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
Says a lot for our national character that in the land of Cervantes,where we live, so many of us are compelled to cry, "Told you so" when something goes wrong for someone who has a dream. Perhaps if we had all listened to peoples advice we would still be living in caves.

Someone once quoted to me, "Never regret what you did only what you didn't do for life is not a rehearsal."

Jim

L
I dont have a problem with anyone who has the guts to have a go at something armed with all the research they could possibly collect and forewarned of any problems and pitfalls.

But it does get a little soul destroying I admit when we spend hours on here answering people when they ask for advice based on our experiences here and then totally ignore it
Old Nov 30th 2008, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Quote from their web site.

"My husband has just accepted a fantastic job in the UK so there is a genuine reason for the sale".

When the op first posted that they were selling up the reason given on their web site was that she was pregnant!!

Old Nov 30th 2008, 11:33 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jurdyr
Well you think off it cars wont even sale in spain proptry sale are plumenting we seen Spain’s fifth largest real estate promotor, Habitat, files for bankruptcy
the big supermarket say the sales are down 20 - 30 % , the GBP is worth fack all on last year , hotels and holiday lets are charging over the board here , drink price , get screwed buy the tourist bars , only think that cheap in spain is Flights
Cop on people are it going to be Spain biggest ghost town this summer coming

we hear off RIP OF IRELAND well this going to happen here very fast , Eastern europe is cheap and flight are cheap there aswell same travel time as spain from any uk Airport

Jurdyr Does this mean you can put your towel on ANY sunbed you desire. Do not Menshan ze sunbed ya ya ya

In the bar owners defence, I would close on an old quip from George Bernard Shaw...A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing......"Ay-Thang-Yew"

Last edited by poshnbucks; Nov 30th 2008 at 11:50 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=poshnbucks;7024393]Jurdyr Does this mean you can put your towel on ANY sunbed you desire. Do not Menshan ze sunbed ya ya ya

...but not in Benidorm, not without a full wallet anyways....

Struggling to decide which if either side of the fence to come down on. I think the bottom line is if I were them & read this thread through (which I'm sure they are) they may feel a little sorry for having posted & seeing a number of negative comments about them not having taken advice. It's not nice to fail, but as several have said, there's a good case to be made for 'you can't regret things you've done, only those you haven't'. In our house my OH doesn't like it one bit if he give me advice about something & I don't take it - well I'm sorry tough. It's my choice to weigh up all the pros & cons & take advice or not. It doesn't mean I don't value his opinion, doesn't mean I'm not grateful for the advice, & it doesn't mean I won't realise my error/foolishness/ineptitude/bad luck or whatever, if necessary, some way down the line. I see this as the same. Don't anyone ever stop asking for advice, don't stop giving it, but don't expect everyone to take it. At least they've 'fessed up.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:47 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
[QUOTE=poshnbucks;7024393]Jurdyr Does this mean you can put your towel on ANY sunbed you desire. Do not Menshan ze sunbed ya ya ya

Struggling to decide which if either side of the fence to come down on. I think the bottom line is if I were them & read this thread through (which I'm sure they are) they may feel a little sorry for having posted & seeing a number of negative comments about them not having taken advice. It's not nice to fail, but as several have said, there's a good case to be made for 'you can't regret things you've done, only those you haven't'. In our house my OH doesn't like it one bit if he give me advice about something & I don't take it - well I'm sorry tough. It's my choice to weigh up all the pros & cons & take advice or not. It doesn't mean I don't value his opinion, doesn't mean I'm not grateful for the advice, & it doesn't mean I won't realise my error/foolishness/ineptitude/bad luck or whatever, if necessary, some way down the line. I see this as the same. Don't anyone ever stop asking for advice, don't stop giving it, but don't expect everyone to take it. At least they've 'fessed up.
Well put.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjh
Well put.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:00 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw

That sums up human nature very well. Nice post. Food for thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.