Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Don´t buy property in Spain or you will lose a lot of money

Don´t buy property in Spain or you will lose a lot of money

Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:31 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don´t buy property in Spain or you will lose a lot of money

Originally Posted by rachelk
Lcortez is correct. That's exactly the figures quoted in El Pais on Friday. prices up by 4% for the year to march, below inflation meaning a decrease in real terms.
It also states that prices are growing at a far lesser rate than inflation and that it is causing the greatest concern
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

ivanmax will become famous soon enoughivanmax will become famous soon enough

Hi everybody,

You are again relying on the very unreliable Spanish press.

Just to make you aware of a few facts the chairman of "El Mundo" (second most read newspaper in Spain) is also one of the partners of one of the biggest Real Estate Agency.

Or we can talk about Mr Gonzalo Mendez Pozo...chairman of most newspapers in Castilla y Leon and owner of "Construcciones Rio Vena" (another of the really big Estate Agencies), who was by the way sentenced to serve 7 years in prison for fraud not many years ago (he only served a fraction of the sentence thanks to his good contacts).

Do you think these guys are going to really say how much are housing prices really dropping? If they did they would lose money.

Here is a tool created by Tecnocasa, which is one of the biggest internet platforms for advertising houses in Spain. They have been comparing prices for the last few years and are a very reliable source of information about how much are housing prices really dropping in my country:

http://www.expocasa.com/preciometro/

You can select different areas with this tool. In Murcia for example we got a 5.25 drop in four months.

I think is fairly conservative to say by the end of this year we will be seeing that many Spanish houses are worth about 20 percent less than just three months ago.

And people is really scared...nobody is buying...this could really go much further.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:51 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to get my rope and razor blades.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:54 am

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I'm going to get my rope and razor blades.
Dont do it Matt!!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:55 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Same Difference
Dont do it Matt!!
well from reading the thread I would have to wouldn't I?
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

ivanmax will become famous soon enoughivanmax will become famous soon enough

My advice for Britons today?

You are going to retire, have the cash and don´t give a sxxx about house prices dropping?

Buy yourself a nice house in Spain. Believe me. I spend 5 years in Britain doing my A levels and taking a degree and I can say without a shadow of a doutb you will live much better in Spain.

Great weather, great super friendly people who mind their own business, great food...shall I keep on going?

If on the other hand you are thinking of buying a second residence and have to go to the bank to ask for the money...you´d better look for another nice country where to spend those few weeks off a year or rent a nice place for the summer.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:02 pm
Straw Man.

We're all doomed, doomed I tells ya!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:10 pm

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

We're all doomed, doomed I tells ya!
Please dont say that.........I will cry
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

george43 will become famous soon enough

Obviously this is not the time to risk money on property for investment purposes. Particularly if you need a mortgage,anything can happen.
However what if you are retired and dont need a mortgage.Spain still offers a good life style for those not trying to be clever with investing .
To suggest no one should buy in Spain is like saying no one should buy in most of the countries people would normally look at.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by george43
Obviously this is not the time to risk money on property for investment purposes. Particularly if you need a mortgage,anything can happen.
However what if you are retired and dont need a mortgage.Spain still offers a good life style for those not trying to be clever with investing .
To suggest no one should buy in Spain is like saying no one should buy in most of the countries people would normally look at.

So that'll be what he's saying in this post then??

Originally Posted by ivanmax
My advice for Britons today?

You are going to retire, have the cash and don´t give a sxxx about house prices dropping?

Buy yourself a nice house in Spain. Believe me. I spend 5 years in Britain doing my A levels and taking a degree and I can say without a shadow of a doutb you will live much better in Spain.

Great weather, great super friendly people who mind their own business, great food...shall I keep on going?

If on the other hand you are thinking of buying a second residence and have to go to the bank to ask for the money...you´d better look for another nice country where to spend those few weeks off a year or rent a nice place for the summer.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:26 pm
Straw Man.

From what I read house sales are down 30 odd percent.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

ooops,posts crossed, Ivanmax said it better..

Do morons steal car badges in Spain ? Just noticed my Merc badge has been stolen for the second time this year !! ( quite an old Merc incidentally)
Can,t wait to get out of this country.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

From what I read house sales are down 30 odd percent.
Advertised prices have not dropped significantly though.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

ooops,posts crossed, Ivanmax said it better..

Do morons steal car badges in Spain ? Just noticed my Merc badge has been stolen for the second time this year !! ( quite an old Merc incidentally)
Can,t wait to get out of this country.
Is that the Merc you got for the help? The Veyron badges are almost impossible to remove I've found, don't you agree?
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by leighbloke
Is that the Merc you got for the help? The Veyron badges are almost impossible to remove I've found, don't you agree?
O knew I should'nt have mentioned Mercs. It's 9 years old, MOT due tomorrow. The only help me and the Mrs get is when we help ourselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.