Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Domestic Air Conditioning Question.

Domestic Air Conditioning Question.

Old Jun 12th 2016, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Domestic Air Conditioning Question.

We had two air conditioning units fitted at the beginning of this year. Since then we've used them several times for heating and latterly for cooling.
The system has "drain" pipes running outside from the indoor units and also down from the main outside wall mounted units.
My question is that since installation I haven't seen any water come from these pipes. With car air-con it's common to see a small pool of water underneath parked cars after the air-con system has been used so I would have expected the same each time I used the house units.
I've searched the internet and there are conflicting views on whether liquid from the pipes is a good or bad thing, so I'm confused.
I will monitor things as the temperature creeps up, but before I call the installer only perhaps to be told what's happening is normal, could anyone tell me their experiences so I have a better idea of what is "normal"?
Thanks.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Domestic Air Conditioning Question.

The amount of water draining from the units is dependent on the humidity

However there is normally some although at times it appears to take ages.

If possible put a container under each drain to help in checking

Do the units provide warmth and cold as you would expect?
Old Jun 12th 2016, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

andyr35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biffta
We had two air conditioning units fitted at the beginning of this year. Since then we've used them several times for heating and latterly for cooling.
The system has "drain" pipes running outside from the indoor units and also down from the main outside wall mounted units.
My question is that since installation I haven't seen any water come from these pipes. With car air-con it's common to see a small pool of water underneath parked cars after the air-con system has been used so I would have expected the same each time I used the house units.
I've searched the internet and there are conflicting views on whether liquid from the pipes is a good or bad thing, so I'm confused.
I will monitor things as the temperature creeps up, but before I call the installer only perhaps to be told what's happening is normal, could anyone tell me their experiences so I have a better idea of what is "normal"?
Thanks.
If it ain't broken, don't try and fix it. If it's working OK, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 8:57 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyr35
If it ain't broken, don't try and fix it. If it's working OK, I wouldn't worry about it.
Not necessarily. We had one unit where the outlet was blocked and it rapidly created a damp patch on the wall where it was installed.

If in doubt, run a plastic mouse up the outlet tube to clear any obstruction. They get blocked very easily.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. Oddly, this morning there is a small patch of water on the ground from the outside pipe attached to the inside wall units. That will quickly go when the sun gets on the tile surface. Same with the other pipes at the back I think. They outlet on to a tiles surface which gets hot during the day. Maybe the water when it comes out quickly evaporates.
Think I'll place small cups/containers under each to check properly.
Thanks again for the advice. Appreciated.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Thanks for the replies. Oddly, this morning there is a small patch of water on the ground from the outside pipe attached to the inside wall units. That will quickly go when the sun gets on the tile surface. Same with the other pipes at the back I think. They outlet on to a tiles surface which gets hot during the day. Maybe the water when it comes out quickly evaporates.
Think I'll place small cups/containers under each to check properly.
Thanks again for the advice. Appreciated.
The inside units drip water when cooling and the outside unit drips water when heating.

Shade your containers from any heat source to get a better idea.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
The inside units drip water when cooling and the outside unit drips water when heating.

Shade your containers from any heat source to get a better idea.
Thanks, wasn't aware of the difference in water expulsion between heating and cooling.
Yes, will shade the containers!
Thanks again.