British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   dogs in mourning (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/dogs-mourning-910422/)

catsndogs Mar 14th 2018 7:23 pm

dogs in mourning

Strange question but genuine. We have had a lot of rescued dogs 10 at one time all have thankfully got on very well. However our Candy ( female) and Fudge (male) were great friends. Always together except at night Candy would sleep in my bedroom & Fudge in hubby's. Since Candy went to Doggy Heaven Fudge has slept in Candy's bed at night and during the day. He is slowly starting to sleep in the living area and now and then sleeps with Hubby, I am reluctant to wash Candy's bedding as I realize there must be a smell of Candy on them. I am thinking of moving Candy's bed into living area and over time remove the bedding. Any silly dog lovers have you any advice. our babies come first like so many of our friends :heart::heart:

pickle04 Mar 14th 2018 8:46 pm

Re: dogs in mourning

I have been through this with one of my dogs which passed away and the other one was left missing his companion. I think that as Fudge has started to move into the living area and on the odd occasion sleep with your hubby, he is slowly getting used to Candy not being there. I think I would move the bed to the living room as he is now happy to to sleep in this area but still not wash Candy's bedding.
I think that after a few weeks or so if he feels comfortable with the bed being in the living room, and you feel that he his happy with the bed being there. I would then change the bedding. As I think that if he is leaving the bed now he his probably excepting that Candy is no longer around, and getting used to her no longer being there. I do not think that I would put clean bedding in the bed but something that smells of Fudge so he now has his own smell in the bed if this makes sense.

I think that if you are anything like me which I guess you are, lots of cuddles will soon be all he needs.

catsndogs Mar 14th 2018 10:07 pm

Thank you for your reply you are someone who understands our sad feelings for our babies. W e will slowly help him to recover from his and our loss.
all our babies are buried on our land & silly me I go and talk to them.

Alectryon Mar 15th 2018 9:21 am

There is nothing silly about talking to your dogs who are buried on your land - I would do exactly the same. I have two rescued dogs one is 12 and the other 6. They have the best of everything because they are so precious to me and, because I live in a quite remote area and have no real friends, they are my only companions. If, on occasions, they are parted they both fret - so they are rarely parted. I applaud you for your love and care of dogs and hope that Fudge soon comes to terms with the loss of Candy.

HeikeundAlan Mar 15th 2018 3:53 pm

Dogs get attached just like we do you doing the right thing

catsndogs Mar 15th 2018 4:49 pm

Thank you for all your lovely words. We have moved Candy's bed into the living area and Fudge is using it there. I hated the idea of him being alone in the bedroom. The other Babies are cuddling in as well. He ran up our track to meet us when we came home to-day so is starting to be his old self.

Alectryon Mar 15th 2018 6:59 pm

I am so glad for you and Fudge, we all have to get over the loss of a loved one and Fudge is no exception. Love to you all - and a big hug for Fudge from me and my two. Night night.

pickle04 Mar 15th 2018 9:46 pm

I am really so pleased that Fudge is getting there. I bet it was great to see him coming to greet you again.

I also send love and hope that Fudge continues to get over the loss of his friend. The little love of my life, sends Fudge lots of licks, woofs and waggy tails.

BEVS Mar 15th 2018 10:01 pm

When our Hollycat died (male) our Tyler pusscat mourned the loss for a good 18months/two years. He would pull his hair out in tufts which was nothing to do with allergy /infestation . It was anxiety at loss & being lonesome without his companion. Time, love and care saw him slowly come right as he learnt to trust the new order.