Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Dog walking in the Costa Del Sol - Marbella, Malaga, Benalmadena, chiclana

Dog walking in the Costa Del Sol - Marbella, Malaga, Benalmadena, chiclana

Old May 3rd 2013, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

fayesawyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dog walking in the Costa Del Sol - Marbella, Malaga, Benalmadena, chiclana

Hi,

My family are thinking of moving to the south of Spain. However, we are worried about bringing our dogs. They are a much loved part of the family and could be the decision maker for coming out or not!!

We already know they are not allowed on the beach (although many people do take them in the winter months at the risk of being fined). But where else is availiable to take them?

They are 'off the lead' dogs and would hate being taken to some of the beautiful manicured parks we have seen and be kept leashed.

In the UK we take them to the woods or down to the river where they can run about and rummage about in the bushes freely - are there places like this we could take them too?

I've heard that if you do let the dogs off the lead they are at the mercy of wild boar, that can be quite dangerous to dogs, is this correct?

Also, what about ticks - are they managable? (I've seen a lot of dogs in Spain with them).

Any advice, tips, experinces and thoughts about bringing dogs to Spain would be much apprecaited.

Many thanks,
Faye
(and Rufus and Curly)
Old May 4th 2013, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

deepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog walking in the Costa Del Sol - Marbella, Malaga, Benalmadena, chiclana

Let me start by saying I'm not a resident and no doubt others who have way more knowledge than me will add their piece but when I was on a "reccy" visit last year, I noticed in Nerja a street with "No dogs" signs on the walls that bordered the street. This was a public street and private buildings. There were no doors in the walls from the street, i.e., the signs were not intended to mean "no dogs allowed in the building". There was also one attached to a lamppost. They were quite clearly private signs put up to indicate no dogs allowed IN THE STREET. It was an area with a heavy Muslim influence. You can join the dots.

Have you considered Costa Blanca? It seemed to me to be far more dog-friendly.
Old May 4th 2013, 9:26 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog walking in the Costa Del Sol - Marbella, Malaga, Benalmadena, chiclana

Originally Posted by fayesawyer
Hi,

My family are thinking of moving to the south of Spain. However, we are worried about bringing our dogs. They are a much loved part of the family and could be the decision maker for coming out or not!!

We already know they are not allowed on the beach (although many people do take them in the winter months at the risk of being fined). But where else is availiable to take them?

They are 'off the lead' dogs and would hate being taken to some of the beautiful manicured parks we have seen and be kept leashed.

In the UK we take them to the woods or down to the river where they can run about and rummage about in the bushes freely - are there places like this we could take them too?

I've heard that if you do let the dogs off the lead they are at the mercy of wild boar, that can be quite dangerous to dogs, is this correct?

Also, what about ticks - are they managable? (I've seen a lot of dogs in Spain with them).

Any advice, tips, experinces and thoughts about bringing dogs to Spain would be much apprecaited.

Many thanks,
Faye
(and Rufus and Curly)
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 4th 2013, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

OrlandoSeaHorse is an unknown quantity at this point

Just did an exploration trip French border - Torrevieja (Costa Brava, Costa Azahar, North Costa Blanca) by own car in Easter holidays. I'm a crazy dog lady and proud of it. One of the points to find out was the dogs' attitude to Spain and Spain's - to dogs. I had 2 dogs with me - Irish Terrier (medium size, active and curious explorer) and Yorkshire Terrier (mini type, little princess). Yorkie got much more positive attention than the bigger dog. Only a few grown ups and one little girl, maybe 5 years old dared to pat him. She asked nicely if its OK "tocar el perro" and really took her time when allowed. Compare to our visit to France, Mt. St Michel, when the 2 Irish Terriers both had some strangers hand on their heads non-stop for 3 hours or more (really proud of my dogs endurance). Actually I had an impression that the knee high Irish Terrier seemed too big/sporty and people were not sure how to react. Most dogs we met were small and fluffy. And an occasional labrador, too, they are everywhere. Though there were many dogs, there was no dog poo on the streets, means people really do pick up.

I did not see any "No dog" signs except on the beaches. Still it was OK to walk on most promenades. On the promenades there were other dogs, runners, cyclists, children. For my dogs that was more exciting than the beach as they do not fancy swimming and there was not anything interesting in the plain sand or worse - stones that the beaches are artificially covered with. Not even a chalenge for digging. Certainly a "manicured" park or just sidewalks would be more interesting. Or a "wild" beach or a walk in orange/olive groves. There were quite many paths where locals walk their dogs. We had boots for dogs with us, but all the paths were ok for the feet (normally I use the boots to protect the feet from salt in winter).

As I understand in most places the leash is obligatory or common sense to have. Certainly, this depends on the breed, if your dogs are whippets or like, they will hate leash but my terriers are reasonably happy with double daily long walks on 8 m long roll-out leash ("Flexi") that allows to sniff around and some free runs when we go to safe places. Here in Luxembourg that place is a pasture. My dogs had to adjust their life style and expectations from "whenever, wherever" with a grandma who would let them out in a fenced-in private park any time to more moderate life in an apartment and scheduled walks on leashes. They have brains, they got it right. True - they also had a good dog school.

Where I live in Lux, there is a wood with wild boar just some minutes away. We often see the footprints in the fields and other people say, they had walked/joged into the animals and retreated fast. With the dogs I never encountered any. Could be its true that wild animals are not too eager to meet dogs. In Calpe we wanted to climb the famous rock but had to run from angry seagulls. Probably had nests there. They did not mind people or white dogs walking by but attacked all the fawn and black dogs.

Ticks are a major concern not only in Spain, also in Latvia and Lux, so I have quite an experience (unwelcome). Advantix is the answer. Use per instructions, depending on the weight of the dog, religiously once in 4 weeks. Its no gift from heaven for dogs liver but way better than piroplasmosis. There is a vaccine against piro, but it is only 60% effective and hides the symptoms if the dog still gets the infection. So you may loose time. You have to get to the vet asap. The count is minutes, not hours or days. With Advantix the ticks do climb on the dog, but get slow and if they bite, they die before they can release the infection. After walks in tick areas - woods with thick undergrowth, meadows with long grass - I always check the dogs for ticks. They already know they have to roll over when they enter home or get back into the car.
Other nasties more "spanish" are the sand fly (leishmania) and mosquitoes (heart worm). I'm sure I got the info in this forum, use the search. Plus our vet in Lux advised the same Advantix and deworming tablets Milbemax 2x after the trip (not the usual Drontal). And somebody here mentioned that now there is an injection that is used once a year (tablets have to be taken monthly and thus are more expensive).
And in pine tree woods in Spain there is some nasty kind of traveling caterpillars that you and dogs have to avoid.

And another piece of shocking information, that I found on the site that organizes galgo rescue from Spain to Germany and Lux: the young galgos that are in shelters had to be sent to Germany asap as the hunting season starts soon and they were afraid that hunters or dog suppliers may break into the shelter and steal the dogs....
Old May 4th 2013, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

OrlandoSeaHorse is an unknown quantity at this point

And a question from me: Is there any general rule or law about dogs in apartment buildings and urbanisations? Does it entirely depend on the decision of the certain building / urb council or there are country-wide or regional laws? E.g. in Latvia there are no restrictions, you may have a dog wherever you live. Only if the number of dogs is more than 5, you have to report to sanitary inspection, you can still have more than 5 dogs, but you will be checked. In Lux the general law is that dogs in apartment buildings are ok if they don't bother the neighbors - barking, smells, etc. Still some co-properties have decided "no dogs" but that is not taken too seriously, the dogs live also in those.
So what it is like in Spain?
Old May 6th 2013, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute

We live in the campo in spain and have 2 large dogs and one medium hunting dog which moved in after being abandoned. We use the POM Advantix, this covers ticks, fleas, sandflies and mosquitos but I also use scalibar collars so its belts and braces. My experience in our community is that in the towns people seem to have smaller dogs, we see very few large dogs in town and if I do have my dogs in town people do not like to go near them. However many people have large dogs that they leave on their properties in the campo as guard dogs, whether this is why people are wary of large dogs I am not sure.
Old May 7th 2013, 2:52 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

@ fayesawyer - you have to pick where you live quite carefully. Where we are in a small village there are loads of places nearby where you can let the dogs run but you must of course be careful with livestock.

The Spanish seem to like small dogs - my two small terriers always get a lot of attention - but I have seen Spanish people be wary of bigger dogs.
Old May 7th 2013, 4:15 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
@ fayesawyer - you have to pick where you live quite carefully. Where we are in a small village there are loads of places nearby where you can let the dogs run but you must of course be careful with livestock.

The Spanish seem to like small dogs - my two small terriers always get a lot of attention - but I have seen Spanish people be wary of bigger dogs.
Only natural for anyone to be wary of big dogs surely, unless it is obvious that they are very friendly natured.

Regarding rules where dogs can be kept, quite a few communities often in tourist areas have their own rules prohibiting the keeping of dogs on the premises.
However there are plenty of similar places where no restrictions are applied.

There are lots of places available close to open Campo and not far from the coast where dogs can enjoy lots of freedom, though naturally it's only common sense to exercise a reasonable degree of control.

Interesting mention by O.S.H. regarding the use and risks of Advantix.
Never used it myself, only Frontline as was always recommended and insisted upon by DEFRA for travel purposes.

Maybe they had good reason, as after doing a little research myself, it appears that the side effects and health risks are very much more severe as a result of using Advantix as against Frontline.

Doris take note, if it's not to late.
Old May 7th 2013, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute

The reason that I swapped to Advantix POM was because it repels the sandflies and mosquitos that can give the dogs leishmania, although I used the scalibar collars the dogs are forever managing to get them off In the summer the only time to walk them is at dusk when they are most at risk. My neighbours dog has just died of leishmania and I can safely say I have never seen such a devastating illness. I may be wrong but when I looked into Frontline Combo it was for fleas and ticks and did not offer protection from the dreaded sandfly and mossies.
Old May 7th 2013, 6:33 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flotsum
The reason that I swapped to Advantix POM was because it repels the sandflies and mosquitos that can give the dogs leishmania, although I used the scalibar collars the dogs are forever managing to get them off In the summer the only time to walk them is at dusk when they are most at risk. My neighbours dog has just died of leishmania and I can safely say I have never seen such a devastating illness. I may be wrong but when I looked into Frontline Combo it was for fleas and ticks and did not offer protection from the dreaded sandfly and mossies.
http://www.petsofoz.com/frontline-vs-advantix.html

Comparison as per manufacturers spec. I presume.

Overall, not a lot to choose, but as you say Advantix has advantages in some important respects.

However having just read some of the horror stories relating to it, I may be inclined just to stick with Frontline.
Old May 17th 2013, 4:29 am
Just Joined

fayesawyer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for your responses they have been really helpful