Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Dog from UK (Rabies Free Country) to Spain

Dog from UK (Rabies Free Country) to Spain

Old Jun 25th 2011, 11:59 am
Just Joined

chocciegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dog from UK (Rabies Free Country) to Spain

I have read that dogs need to be chipped and have their first rabies shot to enter both France and Spain, BUT it never states if this is actually needed from a Rabies free country that the UK is. Except if you need to bring them back. We are going to live in Spain permanently at the end of the year and will be driving over with our dogs and our dogs will not be coming back , so does anyone know if they MUST have the chip and first rabies shot ??
Old Jun 25th 2011, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog from UK (Rabies Free Country) to Spain

ask defra, but it is law that cats and dogs are chipped in Spain.

But Defra will tell you re rabies, I suspect that the answer is yes as we had to do ours 8 years ago

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/
Old Jun 25th 2011, 12:15 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
ask defra, but it is law that cats and dogs are chipped in Spain.

But Defra will tell you re rabies, I suspect that the answer is yes as we had to do ours 8 years ago

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/
are you sure cats have to be chipped???

is that just to bring them in?

as far as the rabies shot is concerned our cat had to have it to come in 8 years ago too - she didn't need a chip though

I'd be very surprised if the rabies requirement has been changed, but as pwwm said, defra will know for sure
Old Jun 25th 2011, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

chocciegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

ok thank you all for your input. I have emailed devra but they are so slow in replying, I will try to contact them by phone. I will let the forum know their answer.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
are you sure cats have to be chipped???

is that just to bring them in?

as far as the rabies shot is concerned our cat had to have it to come in 8 years ago too - she didn't need a chip though

I'd be very surprised if the rabies requirement has been changed, but as pwwm said, defra will know for sure
Yes.Cats do have to be chipped.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 1:53 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Yes.Cats do have to be chipped.
really??

to bring them in or just to live here??

neither of mine are......................both born here - rescue cats

our original lady who came with us died 2 years ago - 17 years young
Old Jun 25th 2011, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
really??

to bring them in or just to live here??

neither of mine are......................both born here - rescue cats

our original lady who came with us died 2 years ago - 17 years young
Its just to bring them in.

If you want a cat chipped here our vet said you have to have the pet passprt also.You just cant have the chip.

Mind you do you think a chip would really help here.Probably not.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:04 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Its just to bring them in.

If you want a cat chipped here our vet said you have to have the pet passprt also.You just cant have the chip.

Mind you do you think a chip would really help here.Probably not.
phew!!

I didn't think it was obligatory..............

& no - even if it was I doubt many would bother
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:12 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

In Andalucia it is compulsory for all dogs, cats and ferrets to be microchipped and have a pet passport.

They must all have rabies jabs and be wormed annually.

I don't know whether that is the law in other regions.

The laws have been tightened up recently with regard to the transmission of animal diseases to humans.

Dogs tested positive for Leismaniasis have to be treated or destroyed.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fred James
In Andalucia it is compulsory for all dogs, cats and ferrets to be microchipped and have a pet passport.

The laws have been tightened up recently with regard to the transmission of animal diseases to humans.

Havent heard of that.

How on earth could that be implemented with cats.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:19 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Fred James

wow - next time we go in for jabs I dare say we'll be told if that's the case round here!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:26 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Havent heard of that.

How on earth could that be implemented with cats.
If you take your cat to the vet for a rabies jab they will not give it until the cat is chipped and issued with a passport.

Hers a link to the Junta site

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/gober...ptico_caza.pdf

Last edited by Fred James; Jun 25th 2011 at 3:32 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

when I discussed sand fly and the disease they carry as regards to infecting my cat the vet advised me it was something that cats for some reason did not suffer from. Many people are reluctant to have cats micro chipped as they tend to disappear I have lost 2 cats this year at separate times both pedigree one did wander from the garden but the other went no further than the wall.

When we brought our 2 dogs out although both were micro chipped only one had had her rabbis shot as the other dog was elderly and the vet advised us to have him put down, that was 18months ago it, I do know that at some point this coming summer he will not make it as his health is now failing quickly but as soon as we got here he was done and they are both able to return to the UK if need be.

It is better to be prepared before you move out than keep putting it off once your here as so many people do.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by jay01
when I discussed sand fly and the disease they carry as regards to infecting my cat the vet advised me it was something that cats for some reason did not suffer from. .
Quite right - it is a disease of dogs and humans. Ben Fogle got it and only just recovered.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ns-poison.html

Cats can get rabies and they often suffer from worms which can cause Echinococcosis in humans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinococcosis

These diseases that can transfer from animals to humans are called "Zoonoses" - that's a great Scrabble word! It is these diseases that are worrying the health authorities which is why they are insisting on some sort of controls.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fred I think you have forgotten to mention that the worming treatment needs to be done annually by a vet and certified in the animals record. We do our beast every three months but one is geared to fall with the other annual jabs and the vet rams a pill down her at the same time !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.