British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/dog-uk-ferry-france-spain%3B-rabies-check-770125/)

evilroyslade Aug 31st 2012 1:50 pm

DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 
A little help from anyone who has taken their dog from the UK via Dover/Calais ferry (DFDS/Norfolkline I am using, but don't guess that makes any odds) then driven through France to Spain (Alicante) please?
Despite being guided by my UK vet, I have just noticed that the UK rabies injection needs to be 21 days or more before entry into EU country. Ours will be only 18 days.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have experience of stops in France/Spain to check this or whether, particularly given the UK is rabies free, it is only a concern taking pets back to UK?

Dick Dasterdly Aug 31st 2012 4:52 pm

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 

Originally Posted by evilroyslade (Post 10256935)
A little help from anyone who has taken their dog from the UK via Dover/Calais ferry (DFDS/Norfolkline I am using, but don't guess that makes any odds) then driven through France to Spain (Alicante) please?
Despite being guided by my UK vet, I have just noticed that the UK rabies injection needs to be 21 days or more before entry into EU country. Ours will be only 18 days.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have experience of stops in France/Spain to check this or whether, particularly given the UK is rabies free, it is only a concern taking pets back to UK?

The checks are normally done at the check-in before departure from the UK.
Very unusual to get checked in France or Spain, in fact I've never heard of it happening myself.

jimenato Aug 31st 2012 5:32 pm

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 
We have brought dogs to Spain through France on several occasions and they are just not interested. The only place you could have a problem is at the ferry terminal in Dover.

chocaholic22 Aug 31st 2012 5:47 pm

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 
Hi, we haven't had chance to try the ferry yet, we use the tunnel, but our pet passport never gets checked on the way out of the UK to France only on the way back. Then they are absolute sticklers! Can't blame them though just trying to keep us safe.:thumbup:

Not sure if that helps at all.

gardner8 Aug 31st 2012 6:37 pm

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 
We have been back twice since the new legislation and a thorough check was done at Calais going to the UK but no checks on the way back. You could of course be the unlucky one but it's highly unlikely.

pwwm Sep 1st 2012 4:51 pm

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 
No checks were done in UK, dont think they care to be honest, it is on entry to UK they will go through paperwork etc, are you sure Norfolk line take dogs? just wondering

derek500 Sep 1st 2012 8:39 pm

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 10257277)
The checks are normally done at the check-in before departure from the UK.

There is no Pet Passport checking when leaving the UK by ferry.

derek500 Sep 1st 2012 8:41 pm

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 10257360)
We have brought dogs to Spain through France on several occasions and they are just not interested. The only place you could have a problem is at the ferry terminal in Dover.

The check is done at check-in at the French port before boarding.

derek500 Sep 1st 2012 8:47 pm

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 

Originally Posted by pwwm (Post 10258902)
No checks were done in UK, dont think they care to be honest, it is on entry to UK they will go through paperwork etc, are you sure Norfolk line take dogs? just wondering

We use DFDS (formerly Norfolkline) and they do take Pet Passports.

Little tip. DFDS only charge for pets when going from France to UK (about £30). They're free the other way.

P&O charge about £15 each way (even though there's no checking when leaving the UK). So we tend to do P&O Calais to Dover and DFDS on the return trip.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 1st 2012 10:17 pm

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 

Originally Posted by derek500 (Post 10259100)
There is no Pet Passport checking when leaving the UK by ferry.

What I meant to write is that thorough checks are done before departing foreign ports for the UK.

However I've departed from the UK in the region of 20 times with a dog and on every single occasion the pet passport has been inspected at the UK check in before departure for France or Spain.

I got the impression that this was solely in relation to the rabies jab possibly only to confirm that the dog would be eligible to make a return journey.

Wether or not they would actually allow boarding without a rabies jab or previously a blood test also,I haven't a clue.
In any event I doubt if they'd have advised or allowed boarding to leave the UK without a valid pet passport.

Oh in addition they almost always ask me if I'd like the dogs chip scanned before leaving the UK, simply to confirm it's in correct working order, but that part is not a compulsory check.

derek500 Sep 2nd 2012 1:57 pm

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 10259195)
What I meant to write is that thorough checks are done before departing foreign ports for the UK.

However I've departed from the UK in the region of 20 times with a dog and on every single occasion the pet passport has been inspected at the UK check in before departure for France or Spain.

We've done more than 20 crossings and never been asked for passport in UK. That is by cross channel ferry. Never flown or used the tunnel.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 2nd 2012 7:32 pm

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 

Originally Posted by derek500 (Post 10260034)
We've done more than 20 crossings and never been asked for passport in UK. That is by cross channel ferry. Never flown or used the tunnel.

Well maybe different ports have different policies ?
I normally sail out of Portsmouth usually to St Malo but occasionally to other French ports or even N.Spain and the procedure at the check-in has been the same every single time.
Wether or not it's compulsory or they are simply acting in an advisory capacity I know not

Sam Greenfield Sep 3rd 2012 7:56 am

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 
We went through the Chunnel a few weeks ago and our passports were checked on the way out - our friend took her dog to Belgium this summer and the dog wasn't checked on the way out of the UK but she was on the way back xxxxx

Domino Sep 3rd 2012 8:07 am

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 
April last year our dog had all his jabs completed, a passport in his hand and wasnt asked a single question when leaving on the Chunnel
In fact IIRC all we did was wave our passports to the Frenchman at the inspection point and he waved us through.

meanwhile every week 1500 immigrants arrive on our shores, many illegal and unknown.

Domino Sep 3rd 2012 8:10 am

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 10259195)
What I meant to write is that thorough checks are done before departing foreign ports for the UK.

However I've departed from the UK in the region of 20 times with a dog and on every single occasion the pet passport has been inspected at the UK check in before departure for France or Spain.

I got the impression that this was solely in relation to the rabies jab possibly only to confirm that the dog would be eligible to make a return journey.

Wether or not they would actually allow boarding without a rabies jab or previously a blood test also,I haven't a clue.
In any event I doubt if they'd have advised or allowed boarding to leave the UK without a valid pet passport.

Oh in addition they almost always ask me if I'd like the dogs chip scanned before leaving the UK, simply to confirm it's in correct working order, but that part is not a compulsory check.

surely they are checking the chip when checking the passport ??
the chip no is on the passport otherwise it could be any dog, not the one issued with the passport !!

Dick Dasterdly Sep 3rd 2012 8:34 am

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 10261060)
surely they are checking the chip when checking the passport ??
the chip no is on the passport otherwise it could be any dog, not the one issued with the passport !!

No, they simply offer to check the chip is in working order to avoid possible difficulties on the return trip.
They don't normally check it against the actual number in the passport on departure from Portsmouth.

Domino Sep 3rd 2012 8:42 am

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 10261083)
No, they simply offer to check the chip is in working order to avoid possible difficulties on the return trip.
They don't normally check it against the actual number in the passport on departure from Portsmouth.

sri Dick, was thinking of the trip out not the return - can't think why.
if you are having the dog checked over by a vet before leaving mainland wouldnt/couldnt he do a check at that time.

the thought of all the paperwork if the chip stops working for any reason is horrendous :eek:

Dick Dasterdly Sep 3rd 2012 10:11 am

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 10261094)
sri Dick, was thinking of the trip out not the return - can't think why.
if you are having the dog checked over by a vet before leaving mainland wouldnt/couldnt he do a check at that time.

the thought of all the paperwork if the chip stops working for any reason is horrendous :eek:

True, I do normally get it checked when I'm in the vets, especially on the Spanish end when getting treatment for the trip back to the UK.

I think quite a few dog owners now have their own scanners to be on the safe side,especially those who travel with more than one dog.

evilroyslade Sep 3rd 2012 10:13 am

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 
Thanks everybody for your various input. Overall, confirmed what I thought - that there is little if any concern (and risk) UK to France. And we will be totally legit on the return, so happy days - no need to change the booking etc.

Re DFDS, I paid £15 each way for a pet on the ticket.

Thanks again

derek500 Sep 3rd 2012 12:02 pm

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 

Originally Posted by evilroyslade (Post 10261248)

Re DFDS, I paid £15 each way for a pet on the ticket.

Thanks again

DFDS only charge for France to UK and it's £30. Worth checking if you can find a cheaper crossing with P&O as they only charge £15. DFDS is better coming from the UK as it's free for pets.



Animals travelling from Dover to Calais or Dunkirk must be pre-booked and declared at check in. There is no charge for animals travelling in this direction. All pets must be microchipped, vaccinated against Rabies and have a Pet Passport with them.


Pets travelling from Calais and Dunkirk to Dover are subject to full DEFRA checks (required for animals entering the UK) as outlined in the Pet Passport Scheme. There is a charge of £30.00 / €36.00 for animals travelling in this direction. A DFDS Seaways representative will carry out all checks on your pet.
http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/ferry-r...ce/pet-travel/

evilroyslade Sep 3rd 2012 12:44 pm

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check
 

Originally Posted by derek500 (Post 10261415)
DFDS only charge for France to UK and it's £30. Worth checking if you can find a cheaper crossing with P&O as they only charge £15. DFDS is better coming from the UK as it's free for pets.




http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/ferry-r...ce/pet-travel/

You are quite right - I shall certainly try that check next time. Thanks:thumbsup:


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:51 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.