British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/dog-uk-ferry-france-spain%3B-rabies-check-770125/)

evilroyslade Aug 31st 2012 1:50 pm

DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check

A little help from anyone who has taken their dog from the UK via Dover/Calais ferry (DFDS/Norfolkline I am using, but don't guess that makes any odds) then driven through France to Spain (Alicante) please?
Despite being guided by my UK vet, I have just noticed that the UK rabies injection needs to be 21 days or more before entry into EU country. Ours will be only 18 days.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have experience of stops in France/Spain to check this or whether, particularly given the UK is rabies free, it is only a concern taking pets back to UK?

Dick Dasterdly Aug 31st 2012 4:52 pm

Re: DOG: UK ferry to France/Spain; rabies check

Originally Posted by evilroyslade (Post 10256935)
A little help from anyone who has taken their dog from the UK via Dover/Calais ferry (DFDS/Norfolkline I am using, but don't guess that makes any odds) then driven through France to Spain (Alicante) please?
Despite being guided by my UK vet, I have just noticed that the UK rabies injection needs to be 21 days or more before entry into EU country. Ours will be only 18 days.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have experience of stops in France/Spain to check this or whether, particularly given the UK is rabies free, it is only a concern taking pets back to UK?

The checks are normally done at the check-in before departure from the UK.
Very unusual to get checked in France or Spain, in fact I've never heard of it happening myself.

jimenato Aug 31st 2012 5:32 pm

We have brought dogs to Spain through France on several occasions and they are just not interested. The only place you could have a problem is at the ferry terminal in Dover.

chocaholic22 Aug 31st 2012 5:47 pm

Hi, we haven't had chance to try the ferry yet, we use the tunnel, but our pet passport never gets checked on the way out of the UK to France only on the way back. Then they are absolute sticklers! Can't blame them though just trying to keep us safe.:thumbup:

Not sure if that helps at all.

gardner8 Aug 31st 2012 6:37 pm

We have been back twice since the new legislation and a thorough check was done at Calais going to the UK but no checks on the way back. You could of course be the unlucky one but it's highly unlikely.

pwwm Sep 1st 2012 4:51 pm

No checks were done in UK, dont think they care to be honest, it is on entry to UK they will go through paperwork etc, are you sure Norfolk line take dogs? just wondering

derek500 Sep 1st 2012 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 10257277)
The checks are normally done at the check-in before departure from the UK.

There is no Pet Passport checking when leaving the UK by ferry.

derek500 Sep 1st 2012 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 10257360)
We have brought dogs to Spain through France on several occasions and they are just not interested. The only place you could have a problem is at the ferry terminal in Dover.

The check is done at check-in at the French port before boarding.

derek500 Sep 1st 2012 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by pwwm (Post 10258902)
No checks were done in UK, dont think they care to be honest, it is on entry to UK they will go through paperwork etc, are you sure Norfolk line take dogs? just wondering

We use DFDS (formerly Norfolkline) and they do take Pet Passports.

Little tip. DFDS only charge for pets when going from France to UK (about £30). They're free the other way.

P&O charge about £15 each way (even though there's no checking when leaving the UK). So we tend to do P&O Calais to Dover and DFDS on the return trip.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 1st 2012 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by derek500 (Post 10259100)
There is no Pet Passport checking when leaving the UK by ferry.

What I meant to write is that thorough checks are done before departing foreign ports for the UK.

However I've departed from the UK in the region of 20 times with a dog and on every single occasion the pet passport has been inspected at the UK check in before departure for France or Spain.

I got the impression that this was solely in relation to the rabies jab possibly only to confirm that the dog would be eligible to make a return journey.

Wether or not they would actually allow boarding without a rabies jab or previously a blood test also,I haven't a clue.
In any event I doubt if they'd have advised or allowed boarding to leave the UK without a valid pet passport.

Oh in addition they almost always ask me if I'd like the dogs chip scanned before leaving the UK, simply to confirm it's in correct working order, but that part is not a compulsory check.

derek500 Sep 2nd 2012 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 10259195)
What I meant to write is that thorough checks are done before departing foreign ports for the UK.

However I've departed from the UK in the region of 20 times with a dog and on every single occasion the pet passport has been inspected at the UK check in before departure for France or Spain.

We've done more than 20 crossings and never been asked for passport in UK. That is by cross channel ferry. Never flown or used the tunnel.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 2nd 2012 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by derek500 (Post 10260034)
We've done more than 20 crossings and never been asked for passport in UK. That is by cross channel ferry. Never flown or used the tunnel.

Well maybe different ports have different policies ?
I normally sail out of Portsmouth usually to St Malo but occasionally to other French ports or even N.Spain and the procedure at the check-in has been the same every single time.
Wether or not it's compulsory or they are simply acting in an advisory capacity I know not

Sam Greenfield Sep 3rd 2012 7:56 am

We went through the Chunnel a few weeks ago and our passports were checked on the way out - our friend took her dog to Belgium this summer and the dog wasn't checked on the way out of the UK but she was on the way back xxxxx

Domino Sep 3rd 2012 8:07 am

April last year our dog had all his jabs completed, a passport in his hand and wasnt asked a single question when leaving on the Chunnel
In fact IIRC all we did was wave our passports to the Frenchman at the inspection point and he waved us through.

meanwhile every week 1500 immigrants arrive on our shores, many illegal and unknown.

Domino Sep 3rd 2012 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 10259195)

I got the impression that this was solely in relation to the rabies jab possibly only to confirm that the dog would be eligible to make a return journey.

Wether or not they would actually allow boarding without a rabies jab or previously a blood test also,I haven't a clue.
In any event I doubt if they'd have advised or allowed boarding to leave the UK without a valid pet passport.

Oh in addition they almost always ask me if I'd like the dogs chip scanned before leaving the UK, simply to confirm it's in correct working order, but that part is not a compulsory check.

surely they are checking the chip when checking the passport ??
the chip no is on the passport otherwise it could be any dog, not the one issued with the passport !!