Dog poisoning

Old Jul 1st 2011, 12:27 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog poisoning

Originally Posted by fionamw
Don't want to go overboard about it since much of what you say is true - in context - given it was my post/dog that brought up the 'irresponsible' mention, I'd just refer you to my later post above.
I think a dog kept in similar circumstances to those you describe would have a limited lifespan even in the UK, unless picked up by a warden and reclaimed or else taken in by some caring person who was concerned about it.

Though I always played it by the letter of the law and only shot dogs causing a serious problem and reported the incidents, the police always advised me to shoot any strays, quietly get rid of them and not bother reporting at all.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
It isn't just the risk to dogs and other roaming animals but also the risk to children and adults who may come into contact with it. Poison injected on a 1 : 1 basis is very specific. Poison put down as bait is very non-specific and who knows what is the "safe" dosage. What happens if a pig keels over and the owner decides to eat it ??This is almost the same as leaving a live landmine.

All are at risk
You`d have to be nuts to eat anything you find dead but I agree with the rest.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 1:58 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
You`d have to be nuts to eat anything you find dead but I agree with the rest.
actually, when I wrote that I was thinking more of "locals", but then I don't eat nuts very often nowadays either....
Old Jul 1st 2011, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I think a dog kept in similar circumstances to those you describe would have a limited lifespan even in the UK, unless picked up by a warden and reclaimed or else taken in by some caring person who was concerned about it.

Though I always played it by the letter of the law and only shot dogs causing a serious problem and reported the incidents, the police always advised me to shoot any strays, quietly get rid of them and not bother reporting at all.
I don't make myself out a perfect animal-owner, but the phrase 'similar circumstances' beggars belief.... my dog is chipped, wormed, has tick/flea treatments, is regularly fed, has water, comes in for the usual child-oriented cuddles, treats etc etc. The fact she is not caged/fenced or tied up seems from your post and choice of words, to be in some way unacceptable or imply lack of care.
I'd suggest she has a pretty darned good lifestyle, actually. Goodness, the other day she was swimming in the pool with OH & ds2! (ok, accident, but you get my drift!) The day she does something like worry a goat or whatever well both I, by way of denuncia, and she, would have to accept the possible consequences. Simply because she's not kept within the bounds of a 'garden', though: maybe 5% of properties have fencing; does not a sheep worrier make.
nb all my dogs in the UK (barring one, whose earlier years gave him a dislike of male limbs) were equally 'loose'. Maybe it's just that I've lived a charmed life in relatively lowly populated areas.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

celestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nice

Sorry, got on my hobby horse a bit .... everyone with dogs should definitely be aware there are people who place poison without thought as to what or who might find and eat it, and those placing poison should really be obliged to do it in a way that eliminates or minimises risks to anything NOT the target of the poisoning.
The use of poisoned bait has been illegal here since 1983 if people do not report the use it will continue...
Old Jul 1st 2011, 3:08 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

As a dog lover, I get dismayed when I read of people poisoning or shooting dogs. I do appreciate that country living is different to my town existence and I suppose different views (ways) apply.

I would like nothing better than to allow my dogs to run freely outside of our own, well fenced garden, but it's not possible. The Doberman is walked with a muzzle as well as a lead. He seems to be fond of the muzzle, when I reach for it, he knows it's walking time.

There was an earlier mention of dogs in packs. I came across it once, here in Spain and it was frightening. I was out with the little terrier late one night, on some waste ground in the dark. Suddenly we were surrounded by at least a dozen stray dogs of all shapes and sizes.

I knelt down beside the terrier and it became a staring match between all of us, but strangely enough nobody barked, or moved. After what seemed a lifetime, the straggly pack moved on, silently into the dark. Several local cats went missing that night.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

Thankfully in more recent years in the UK it's much less of a problem since the coming of dog wardens and strays being cleared off the streets.
Yes, but I can assure you despite signs locally telling owners to keep their mutts on a lead,(especially during lambing) I often see the requests being totally ignored, because "my dog wouldn't hurt a fly". Well someone's dog accounts for several dead sheep and lambs every year, ask the farmers. Don't get me started on townies in the country, they haven't a clue.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
actually, when I wrote that I was thinking more of "locals", but then I don't eat nuts very often nowadays either....
I fairly sure eating locals is illegal as well nowadays
Old Jul 1st 2011, 5:06 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
I fairly sure eating locals is illegal as well nowadays
are you sure ? I thought I read about an EU Directive covering it, when did that change ?
Old Jul 1st 2011, 5:18 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I was told by the Vet that allowing dogs in the pool is a no-no. He said he had treated a lot of dogs with serious skin diseases from pool swimming.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 5:55 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't make myself out a perfect animal-owner, but the phrase 'similar circumstances' beggars belief.... my dog is chipped, wormed, has tick/flea treatments, is regularly fed, has water, comes in for the usual child-oriented cuddles, treats etc etc. The fact she is not caged/fenced or tied up seems from your post and choice of words, to be in some way unacceptable or imply lack of care.
I'd suggest she has a pretty darned good lifestyle, actually. Goodness, the other day she was swimming in the pool with OH & ds2! (ok, accident, but you get my drift!) The day she does something like worry a goat or whatever well both I, by way of denuncia, and she, would have to accept the possible consequences. Simply because she's not kept within the bounds of a 'garden', though: maybe 5% of properties have fencing; does not a sheep worrier make.
nb all my dogs in the UK (barring one, whose earlier years gave him a dislike of male limbs) were equally 'loose'. Maybe it's just that I've lived a charmed life in relatively lowly populated areas.
Good veterinary treatment and home life has little or no relevance to my point.
Not having a dog under control at all times does.
As I said leaving dogs to their own devices in the UK is unusual these days and in the few cases it does occur, can often lead to a sad ending.
Whilst it is slightly more common in Spain much the same thing applies.
It is not really a difficult task to fence in a garden or build a reasonable sized dog-proof compound.
Dogs can still easily be taken out for further exercise under supervision as and when required.
I think your dogs probably have lead a charmed life, especially so in low populated areas where the risks of livestock worrying are often the highest, in addition to other risk factors.
I have seen numerous reports on local Spanish TV showing dead or dying sheep with their throats ripped open as a result of dog attacks.
I have had horrifying experiences myself in the UK many years ago, the worst being repeated night-time attacks by dog packs leaving large numbers of dead and dying sheep behind, followed by the even more heart-breaking sight for several weeks afterwards of many of the remaining live ones dropping dead lambs all around the place.
Not a pretty sight and something that left my nerves shattered for quite a while, and virtually unable to sleep whenever I heard a dog barking through the night.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 7:16 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the explanation, Dick, it's something a townie like me has no knowledge of. If I was the farmer, I'd be out there with a gun, for sure.

Country and Campo, and cities and towns are miles apart, which you don't often think about. I remember my wife and I thinking that we could maybe live in the campo. We drove out of Denia into the countryside, intending to view a campo house about 30 miles inland.

After only about ten miles, having got stuck behind tractors and donkeys, I parked on the top of a hill, overlooking miles of nothing (to us). The silence, beauty and serenity lasted for a few seconds and we looked at each other and returned to Denia as fast as we could.

It takes all sorts.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

*sigh* Yes it takes all sorts. I'll do my best not to continue taking this personally. Fence 5,000sq m when you actually aren't (kind of) supposed to? Who determines what's a 'reasonable' dog compound?
(and lest you think I'm a 'converted townie' with rose tinted glasses, no I'm country bred and yes I would feel loathing for anyone not knowing their dogs' whereabouts day in day out week in week out) *sigh*
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 8:57 am
On the road again.

*sigh* Yes it takes all sorts. I'll do my best not to continue taking this personally. Fence 5,000sq m when you actually aren't (kind of) supposed to? Who determines what's a 'reasonable' dog compound?
(and lest you think I'm a 'converted townie' with rose tinted glasses, no I'm country bred and yes I would feel loathing for anyone not knowing their dogs' whereabouts day in day out week in week out) *sigh*

It's a little difficult to advise when I don't know your exact circumstances nor indeed the breed, size and nature of your dog, so I would have thought that you yourself would be the best one to judge what is reasonable.

However as long as your dogs compound has adequate space for it to move around and exercise, plus a comfortable shelter and I'm presuming it also gets a fair amount of house time, then I think that combined with a couple of walks or exercise periods under supervision each day should be quite sufficient.

Nothing personal Fiona, just simply my opinion for what it's worth, based on the limited information you've posted.