Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does the earth move for you? (Quakes, people!)

Does the earth move for you? (Quakes, people!)

Old Feb 19th 2012, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all
Default Re: Does the earth move for you? (Quakes, people!)

I've been through two minor ones. One in Kefelonia (Greece) which managed to move all the furniture three inches to the left and one when we lived in Hong Kong, which was just a big BOOM, but it came from the floor.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

There have been a few in my time in Spain.The last one in the Sierra Mariola was like a large lorry had driven a few inches past the house at speed.Went outside (as you do) everthing tranquil found out the next day epicentre had been Ontinyente way.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
The actual tremor did not upset me much but the hours after are pretty stressful as you wait to find out if anything bigger is on its way.
I must say that thought never even entered my head at the time.

It will next time though, so thanks for that
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

AndL is an unknown quantity at this point

I live just outside Velez Rubio in Almeria so we're about 30miles as the crow flies from Lorca where they had the big quake last May and loads of aftershocks i nthe following days / weeks. It was wierd, the windows and doors rattled, everything in the cupboards moved and my chimney has moved approx 3mm to the right. This area is very seismically active so there are rumbles every now and then. Lorca is the only biggish one I've felt. The others just moved things in teh cupboard resulting in a bruised toe when the tomatoes fell out!!
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndL
I live just outside Velez Rubio in Almeria so we're about 30miles as the crow flies from Lorca where they had the big quake last May and loads of aftershocks i nthe following days / weeks. It was wierd, the windows and doors rattled, everything in the cupboards moved and my chimney has moved approx 3mm to the right. This area is very seismically active so there are rumbles every now and then. Lorca is the only biggish one I've felt. The others just moved things in teh cupboard resulting in a bruised toe when the tomatoes fell out!!
What's every now and then? Weekly? Monthly? Hourly?
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

about 30miles as the crow flies from Lorca
I'm a lot further than that and while I can't say I felt it, that day I had gone for a siesta after work and woke up at the time of the quake. I sometimes wonder if that was what woke me - a long way away but 8th floor so not impossible.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

AndL is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Does the earth move for you? (Quakes, people!)

Originally Posted by megmet
That is a very good description of how it feels!

I've actually felt six in the last four years, but the land around here is quite unstable anyway, we often get sink holes and land slips in this area, perhaps if our houses were built on solid rock we wouldn't feel the quakes so much.
Sounds nasty. Sure you don't want to move? We are on pretty solid ground where we are but still feel the rumble once in a while! Unfortunately I don't think I was entirely sober when they all hit so I might have missed some! xx
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds nasty. Sure you don't want to move? We are on pretty solid ground where we are but still feel the rumble once in a while! Unfortunately I don't think I was entirely sober when they all hit so I might have missed some! xx
Wouldn't dream of it....
But then coming from Lancashire where the mine shafts ran under the houses and one house went down the hole... I guess I'm conditioned to the slim chance.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 11:26 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I've felt tremors, there again I'm in New Zealand. Some are noisy and rumble. Some bump . I've seen my light fittings sway , heard our house crack. I've been jolted on my settee. Enough for me to be up out of the house smartish.
Thankfully nothing like the Christchurch quakes where it still shakes with regularity.