Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does the earth move for you? (Quakes, people!)

Does the earth move for you? (Quakes, people!)

Old Feb 16th 2012, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does the earth move for you? (Quakes, people!)

Realising that quakes might be nearer than I thought, geographically, I wondered who on BE Spain has actually felt one (in Spain really, though I suppose anywhere would be interesting)? If megmet's getting them in Alora, does that mean I should really have felt them in Colmenar and am thick skinned or are they very specific/localised? Can you tell it's donkeys years since I did geology 'O' level......
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Does the earth move for you? (Quakes, people!)

Originally Posted by fionamw View Post
Realising that quakes might be nearer than I thought, geographically, I wondered who on BE Spain has actually felt one (in Spain really, though I suppose anywhere would be interesting)? If megmet's getting them in Alora, does that mean I should really have felt them in Colmenar and am thick skinned or are they very specific/localised? Can you tell it's donkeys years since I did geology 'O' level......
I can recall 4 in my 67 yrs. The most distinct was centered on Roermund in Holland we were staying at Rheindahln in Germany 20 km away, next was at Episkopi in Cyprus both of these were about 6 on the Richter scale. the earlier two were in UK at Skipton in Yorkshire and Wrexham in Wales between 4 & 5. There were two deaths that I heard of, a rubble house in a hill village in Cyprus collapsed killing an old lady and chimney fell into a bedroom in Wrexham killing a woman in bed. My wife slept through them all but they woke me!
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:19 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does the earth move for you? (Quakes, people!)

Remember one about 10 years ago in the UK, it was about 1130pm, just going to bed, the 3 dogs all looked at me startled.
I went to back door and looked south (towards London) but there wasnt a big bright light and mushroom cloud in that direction so it must have been an earthquake.
Seems it woke alot of people up when we discussed it at work the following day.

Granada is sitting over a fault, I havent been here when it rumbles a couple of miles down, but the BH felt one about a year ago and that was 3 floors up.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I know where I live (Velez-Malaga) is in an area a risk of earthquakes but in over 5 years I've never felt any sign of one.

We lived in Lancashire in the UK and have experienced a couple of very minor ones where vibrations could be felt and things on hard surfaces rattled, but the worst I ever felt was when working on the 19th floor of an office block in Manchester city centre, the building literally swayed and it was pretty scary. From memory that was about 9 years ago.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R View Post
I know where I live (Velez-Malaga) is in an area a risk of earthquakes but in over 5 years I've never felt any sign of one.

We lived in Lancashire in the UK and have experienced a couple of very minor ones where vibrations could be felt and things on hard surfaces rattled, but the worst I ever felt was when working on the 19th floor of an office block in Manchester city centre, the building literally swayed and it was pretty scary. From memory that was about 9 years ago.
You being in Velez, me being near Colmenar and megmet being in Alora area I'd have thought when there's one anywhere round we should all feel it??
Old Feb 16th 2012, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

We felt one lying in bed one morning, all the wardrobes shook, it was quite scary.

There seem to have been a lot of small ones in this area recently see

http://theendofworld.org/articles/ea...e-threatening/

I once felt one when I was in an office block in Warrington, Cheshire. The whole building seemed to move.

Perhaps they are more common than we realise.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Last September whilst having lunch in La Rábita with son and friends, before heading to Granada the earth certainly shook for us and inland for short distance of only about 10kms, everyone just stopped, peapole came outside to see what was happening, can even tell you the date 19th as hubby had a stent fitted lol

Only time felt one though been here 9 years
Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

We have been the recipient of 2 in Spain and 1 in the UK. The last in Spain happened in July last year, about 1am while we were asleep, but not for long! It measured 4.2 if memory serves, really shook the house, our bed moved across the floor and stuff fell about. It turns out the epicentre was only about a kilometre away from us, directly under one of the huge fields of solar panels for electricity. We drove past a few days later (at the time we didn't know the origin, only 'googling' it when we returned to the UK) and many of the panels were hanging off their gimbals and showed obvious damage.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:21 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

I was doing a little research the other day as we have been inundated with static electricity. I mentioned it on my fb page and so many people said that they had been getting shocks from everything. My clothes have been sticking to me when I take them off (calm now ladies), and crackling away with static. Apparently before a large earthquake there can be a large rise in static electricity. We are too, placed where two of those large tectonic plates meet (apparently). (Like a fault line). Also we are overdue a large quake.

However it could also be humidity and I have felt only one quake here. My friend found his sofa move the other day with a small tremor too. I said wind, he said quake.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

One Sunday morning, must be 5 or 6 yrs ago as I was still in Córdoba. I was still dozing when everything shook and in my half awake state I thought there must be someone under the bed.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

We had two very perceptable quakes recently (around 5 ) . They were big enough for us to have to evacuate the building where I work and my daughters both had the full ' earthquake drill ' at school . The actual tremor did not upset me much but the hours after are pretty stressful as you wait to find out if anything bigger is on its way.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

We had a quake yesterday in Adra, and also one last September, both strong enough to be felt . I will add a link if anyone local wants to read about it. http://www.elejidoactualidad.com/150...nos_12994.html
Old Feb 17th 2012, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw View Post
You being in Velez, me being near Colmenar and megmet being in Alora area I'd have thought when there's one anywhere round we should all feel it??
Try this link Fiona, it shows you were they have been felt in the last ten days.

http://www.ign.es/ign/layout/sismo.do

And another one which shows how many there have been over a longer period of time, there are a lot more than we think!
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...seismicity.php

Last week it was reported in the news that there had been an earthquake in Antequera which is not very far from us, we didn't feel it but the pictures on my walls had all moved.

Last edited by megmet; Feb 17th 2012 at 2:32 am. Reason: Link added
Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Yes 2 weeks ago on a Sunday at 5.50am there was one south of Rojales & that was the 1st earthquake which I didn`t suspect, thinking that my hot water tank had come down as I`had 2 loud bangs the day before when the pipes were frozen.

It lasted less than 1 sec with vibrations of the walls. It`s like a fast train running across the platform. A bit scary when I didn`t know what to expect.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ForHotspot View Post
Yes 2 weeks ago on a Sunday at 5.50am there was one south of Rojales & that was the 1st earthquake which I didn`t suspect, thinking that my hot water tank had come down as I`had 2 loud bangs the day before when the pipes were frozen.

It lasted less than 1 sec with vibrations of the walls. It`s like a fast train running across the platform. A bit scary when I didn`t know what to expect.
That is a very good description of how it feels!

I've actually felt six in the last four years, but the land around here is quite unstable anyway, we often get sink holes and land slips in this area, perhaps if our houses were built on solid rock we wouldn't feel the quakes so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.