Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does austerity lead to crime?

Does austerity lead to crime?

Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:03 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does austerity lead to crime?

Originally Posted by Unmutual
No....but I don't think the UK figures are that different.

Twelve per cent of London’s men are black. But 54 per cent of the street crimes committed by men in London, along with 46 per cent of the knife crimes and more than half of the gun crimes, are thought by the Metropolitan Police to have been committed by black men.

Source HERE!
Pointless giving me links, I cant open them and don't actually care..... but do they prove that black people steal more that white people of just that more black people are in London than anywhere else, or do they prove that the world is flat? in am honesty I could not care less.... what I do know is that we have been in an apparent recession since 2008 and I'd like to hazard a guess that the crime figures don't hold up what people are claiming to be gospel on this thread.... but like I said, I don't actually care.... what I do know is that times of Austerity tend to force people to reach deep within them and we get more of a sink or swim attitude.... its why we came out of the last one a much stronger nation and why we will come out of this one the same... if you actually believe there is an actual recession that is....
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Unmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really nice

I don't think we came out of the last recession a much stronger nation really.
It was the precursor to Blair worming his way in and totally destroying Britain to further his career.

And of course every generation loses a little bit more in decency, integrity, community spirit, work ethic etc.....so put that lot together and I don't see a particular positive future for Britain.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:16 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think we came out of the last recession a much stronger nation really.
It was the precursor to Blair worming his way in and totally destroying Britain to further his career.

And of course every generation loses a little bit more in decency, integrity, community spirit, work ethic etc.....so put that lot together and I don't see a particular positive future for Britain.
So you moved to Spain where the future is so much brighter.... right.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Unmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really nice

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
So you moved to Spain where the future is so much brighter.... right.
Yes......most definitely. We're very happy here.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:54 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Yes......most definitely. We're very happy here.
That wasn't the question.
Maybe you're ok if you have enough to retire on or a steady job or pension, but it looks far from bright for many Spaniards right now with lots of them moving out of the country to look for work.
Many have gone to Germany and even some to the UK despite its increasing problems.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

tex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud of

"Does austerity lead to crime?" yes I think it does. When there is no work, no hope for your material future anger can turn to violence, substance abuse etc.

Do more 'black' people commit crime? Maybe, but why? Look at where they live, look at what realistic goals they have in life etc. Crime and substance abuse and violence is sky high in poor white communities too.

For you guys and gals who have been in Spain a few years I can assure you that in some smaller communities in the UK there are NO jobs, not much chance of a job anytime soon. I'm not joking when I say no jobs, there are SFA jobs in many parts of the UK. If I were younger and poorly educated with no real hope of a good job (even after training), owning my own home, going to Benidorm for 14 days in the summer I dare say substance taking and maybe even thieving would cross my mind; perhaps I'd do what an increasing number are doing and just top myself.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 12:04 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

it is now being said in Uk that the riots etc in Birmingham started because they saw nothing being done in London to stop them.

if pikeys can fly tip, leave their "temporary" resting places a biohazard tip without any action taken against them, then why should the rest of the population not do it as well ?? (especially as they have to pick up the bill for clearing up after the pikeys)

if the general law abiding population see plenty of examples of people getting away with things then they are also going to go out there and do it as well !!

I don't necessarily say Austerity leads to Crime, but if the "powers that be" are seen to accept or condone or take no action then more will start wanting to be treated the same way. The first tottering step towards anarchy ??
Old Nov 15th 2011, 5:04 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The figures for black people in the US and UK committing disproportionate crime and their disproportionate levels if incarceration are always linked to their disproportionate poverty levels. Hackney, Handsworth, Moss Side and Toxteth are poor places, primarily, as well as having high black populations.

I was going to babble on about the abolition of slavery being quite a recent event, but I don't think it's relevant to a discussion about austerity.

I lived through two minor recessions before this one, the big one. Even at my reasonably well-cushioned level, I think differently when times are hard. I can well imagine a poverty stricken person with a young family to support thinking even harder.

I've got a stricken palm tree in the garden. To dispose of it legally will cost me 200 Euros. I can borrow a chain saw for nothing and dump the bits at the nearest dump. And if I find a 50 Euro note on my way to the dump?
Old Nov 15th 2011, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Do blacks commit more crime because of their social situation? Is a white man living in a predominantly black area any more or less likely to commit crime? Is a black man living in a prosperous white area any more or less likley to commit crime?

It is a fact that certain crimes are more likley to be committed by blacks.......... but not because they are black. The reason is they come from recessed areas & anybody living in those areas would do the same thing.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tex_ritter
For you guys and gals who have been in Spain a few years I can assure you that in some smaller communities in the UK there are NO jobs, not much chance of a job anytime soon. I'm not joking when I say no jobs, there are SFA jobs in many parts of the UK. (
As you say, "in some smaller communities" it might well be true, but rather than expect work to be delivered to your door, why not look somewhere else for a job. I am where I am because I moved looking for work, most of my friends and neighbours are "outsiders", people that moved looking for work. People moved all over the world when times were really grim, to Australia, USA etc. The situation in Spain is much, much worse, but many thousands of young Spanish are getting on their "bicicletas" and moving all around the world to find work, with UK being one of their top choices. Many come with little English, but are prepared to take anything to start with, including washing dishes. One forum I was just reading was advising someone how to ask for a job, it sounds ridiculous, but credit to them all for trying to better themselves.
puedes preguntar "Do you have any vacancies?", algo así como "du yu hav eni veikensis?" ;P The problem for many in UK, they've had it too easy, it's far too easy to sit back and collect benefits and moan about how hard done by they are. The Spanish don't have that luxury and that encourages them to get up off their culos and get looking for work. Not suggesting it'll be easy, or they'll be great jobs, but thousands of Spanish Poles, Eastern Europeans have turned up in UK and done OK.

Last edited by agoreira; Nov 15th 2011 at 8:15 am.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:46 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
if the general law abiding population see plenty of examples of people getting away with things then they are also going to go out there and do it as well !!
I think that this time because the British leaders, politicians, have been PROVED to be committing financial offences that the average person would be put away for, it gives permission for others to follow suit. Whether this is in fact or in the mind is immaterial it is the mindset that counts. If some politician is illegally and without fear of prosecution having his moat cleared at public expense will you, as a family man struggling to pay bills and keep a roof over your heads worry overly if a fell off the back of a lorry or something similar, windfall occurs. I think not.

Graham
Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:57 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I think that this time because the British leaders, politicians, have been PROVED to be committing financial offences that the average person would be put away for, it gives permission for others to follow suit. Whether this is in fact or in the mind is immaterial it is the mindset that counts. If some politician is illegally and without fear of prosecution having his moat cleared at public expense will you, as a family man struggling to pay bills and keep a roof over your heads worry overly if a fell off the back of a lorry or something similar, windfall occurs. I think not.

Graham
I entirely agree with Dominos post, but as you say it would be better if those at the top of the pile set a better example.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:59 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by licinius
Do blacks commit more crime because of their social situation? Is a white man living in a predominantly black area any more or less likely to commit crime? Is a black man living in a prosperous white area any more or less likley to commit crime?

It is a fact that certain crimes are more likley to be committed by blacks.......... but not because they are black. The reason is they come from recessed areas & anybody living in those areas would do the same thing.
answering questions with questions,,,,,,,
why should a man's skin colour predispose him to crime - of any sort.?
why should where a man hangs is hat predispose him to crime - of any sort.?

in my UK local area it would appear that alot of crime is being carried out by those of a certain religion and\or nationality. Although those from certain former Sovbloc countries appear to be catching up with them.
But then that could all be an impression gained from the reporting in the local press.

is it because they are having to live closer to the edge, due to religion or skin colour as the only means of getting on in life.? They have become "risk takers" who cross the line and get caught.

should I suppose the black west indian guy living 2 doors down, working as a painting contractor, is breaking the law because he does most of his work in London.? Or because of his skin colour.?
Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:04 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by licinius

I don't agree, there are sections of society who move into particular areas and you know for a fact that in absolutely no time at all it will be turned into a crime rife tip.
Other groups under similar circumstances do not necessarily always provide the same result.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:07 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by HBG

I lived through two minor recessions before this one, the big one. Even at my reasonably well-cushioned level, I think differently when times are hard. I can well imagine a poverty stricken person with a young family to support thinking even harder.
I could not disagree with this more.... this recession is nothing compared to the one in the late 80's early 90's... people now are complaining that they can't afford sky tv and plasma screen tvs, back then they were having their homes repossessed and businesses were closing at an alarming rate. No one has starved to death during this one, no one has seen the suicides we saw in the last one.

I have said it dozens of times, this recession has hit certain people, certain trades and certain industries hard.... building in particular has taken a pasting, its been taking one since 2007.... and I for one am immensely pleased it has, the industry was out of control, it was setting the levels for house building itself and the last shower of bastards let them get away with it... Recession is always a good way to clear the decks... the strong survive, the rotten and weak don't, but as I said, no one has starved to death and if people actually want to work they can, they just have to get off their arses and look for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.