Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does anyone own a small boat?

Does anyone own a small boat?

Old May 2nd 2010, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of
Default Does anyone own a small boat?

I'm in Gandia, and am looking for information with regard to licensing/fees/qualifications and other possible requirements for the use of a small boat to go sea fishing. I should point out that I haven't bought a boat yet...just fishing for information.
Old May 2nd 2010, 9:09 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone own a small boat?

You might find this useful.

http://costablanca.angloinfo.com/inf...15/sailing.asp
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

Thanks Fred.
I had hoped that Google would be my friend, but for all the search results I just couldn't find the length in meters for using a motor boat without license. And now I know...it's 4 meters.
Old May 2nd 2010, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

I have one in Denia - PM me if you want to come on it. Now the sea is warming up I'll be out soon.

I think you need an ssr & that's it for sub 4m, I've never been stopped but the fines are horrendous if you break the law.
Old May 4th 2010, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

chris600uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I have one in Moraira - while I can afford it

SSR/Copy Insurance/RYA boat driving licence/copy of purchase invoice/Factura for the mooring.

Fail to carry them = Fine

sorry meant to add, it costs roughly €450 a month for a 7 metre boat and I'm told about €500 a month for a similar size in Javea - don't know about Gandia.

I'm not sure I'd want to be out in anything less than 5.5 metres unless it was flat! You're a braver man than me!

Last edited by chris600uk; May 4th 2010 at 11:19 am. Reason: should have added
Old May 4th 2010, 12:46 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

A lot depends on whether you are a resident or not.

If you are a resident then the situation is a bit like cars - you cannot own a non Spanish registered boat and you have to have Spanish qualifications to use it.

With larger boats it is a nightmare. The registration tax is from the same law as the car registration tax and the cost of bringing a UK boat up to the requirements for Spanish registration can be very expensive indeed.

You can easily be talking thousands of Euros for a decent sized boat.
Old May 4th 2010, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

I always imagined that one day, if I had a child, I might be found relaxing in a small boat, under a blue clear sky, with the Med stretching out before me, and down there by my side my little mighty mite clutching his fishing rod whilst dreaming of all the giant sharks, Kraken and long lost Plesiosaurs that surely must be awaiting his hook. And you might add the slightest of breezes to make it all even more pleasant. I'll even take some wispy clouds.
There are so many ingredients needed to bring life to such a fantasy. Well, now having the little guy is not such a bad start. And we do live in Spain by the sea, and I have lots of time to go fishing. So I was just missing the boat and the Kraken.
Essentially looking for something that I can trailer onto a slipway. If they have public slipways that is.

Poolboy: I may take you up on that. Off to Budapest for the next 3 weeks and will contact on return. Thanks.
Old May 4th 2010, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

yes I had a 5m before & it was insufficient to broach the waves - of which I can assure you there are many & varied ones too.

Best stick to something you can keep in yr garage & throw in off the beach.