Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Old Jul 10th 2018, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Originally Posted by Trasnadonnta View Post
Moses2013

1) Not everyone wishes to move to Spain. Not everyone can either, due to professional restraints or whatever. The dream for some may be a sunny bolthole in another country which they pursue by saving hard and can finally reach with limited funds in beautiful parts of undiscovered Spain.

2) Others may see Spain as a country where they can reconstruct their retirement following the financial turmoil of the last 10 years, where they can still get back on the property ladder, otherwise impossible at 'home' in advancing years, in a country they have an affinity for. However, they don’t necessarily have enough remaining funds to spend on long term rental to make a more informed choice prior to purchase, when their target is ownership for security of tenure and long term affordability. So they go along with their gut instinct based on quickly acquired favourable impressions of a particular area offering possibility, and follow up with a courageous leap of faith in agreeing to make a purchase. For such people, losing what limited funds they have left would be a catastrophe.

3) I will use my own case as an example of different financial perspectives in different personal circumstances. Having spent most of my professional life in landlocked Switzerland, I returned home 'well off' as some might say, to enjoy a financially comfortable retirement by the sea, to a property purchased at top price just before the crash, and with the firm intention of finding a bolthole in sunny Spain to brighten up the long, wet winters in Ireland. The intervening years saw my investments wiped out by the crisis, in a country currently undergoing a two-tier recovery. My home by the sea is now worth a third of what I paid outright for it. In comparison to what befell others, through it all I have sincerely considered myself one of the very lucky ones.

Undeterred, I’m still looking for my bolthole in Spain. Ten years ago, it wouldn’t really have bothered me to lose 20/30K, apart from being in seriously bad humour for a while! Nowadays, it would be a heavy blow, but considerably more so for those more adversely affected decent, hard-working people from all walks of life who lost jobs, homes, nearly everything, through no fault of their own, yet who are still ‘fortunate’ enough to have the guts to start afresh in another country they like, albeit with severely limited funds.

The concept of ‘not too much to lose’ depends very much on what’s at stake and the level of risk taken, which for some might be perilous if it goes wrong, but who don't have another way out of the aftermath of the crisis.

I initially reacted to your comment because I have found comments in other parts of this site to be insensitive towards people asking whether less expensive properties in Spain are worth pursuing, and even uneccessarily downright arrogant and rude at times, to the extent that people just 'disappeared' from the site when such comments were made, probably crushed (I’m not referring to your comment on this forum. I just considered that comment came from a limited perspective which I took the liberty of attempting to broaden).
I'm well aware of the situation and most of the topics have come up before. As previously said, anyone wanting to buy in Spain should do their research first and rent/visit first. The poster has confirmed they will do so, so all good. Sure all people move for different reasons, but you need to take some comments with a pinch of salt. Of course you also have a different experience, as you feel you lost out by paying too much for a property. One of the reasons why I moved to Ireland was the cheap property and that I knew I could easily afford the mortgage, which is cheaper than renting. Ignoring the reasons of the move, if wicklowjack is happy and only spent 20K, he would have spent that money on rent anyway. So even if the house is worth nothing to you in 5 years time, he's still got a roof over his head.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Paulykate is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
We're over for a couple of weeks from next weekend.. Would be great to meet up for a caña if anyone is around?

Cheers
Paul
Old Oct 29th 2018, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

patrick.j is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all , I am new to forum so thought I would say hello .
I have been looking online at properties in Martos before actually visiting , there is a property that looks interesting on Undiscovered Spain, It is listed as The Captain , could anyone tell me the street that it is on , I find the only problem with sites advertising Spanish properties, is that they never give full information of location of homes
cheers Patrick.j
Old Oct 29th 2018, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

timmyf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi this is my house and it’s on Calle Filipe
Old Oct 29th 2018, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks timmyf , I cant read or reply to pm,s at the moment as I have not posted enough as yet
Old Oct 29th 2018, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Hopefully I will be able to reply to messages in the not too distant future as I use the Forum more often .
cheers patrick.j
Old Oct 29th 2018, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

No problems I was just asking if you want further photos as I took some more last week
Old Oct 29th 2018, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Its a great place ,I have 2 houses there , great for relaxing
Old Oct 30th 2018, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

wicklowjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by patrick.j View Post
Hopefully I will be able to reply to messages in the not too distant future as I use the Forum more often .
cheers patrick.j

it is on calle filipe
not the easyest area to det to in martos
bit high on the hill almost the top of the hill
come and look is my advice
there are lots of houses for sale
and things are picking up here so now is the pime to buy
Old Nov 12th 2018, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

HappyCouple is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, does anyone know what date the Romeria Santa Maria festival is in martos?
The one when all the folk come to the plaza on horses etc..

Old Nov 13th 2018, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

We have the big feria in August that lasts for around a week which is classed as the romería , and there is also a festival in May when people get dressed up and ride on horseback but I can’t think what that is called
Old Nov 13th 2018, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Normally the August festival which is the biggest one of the year is around the last week of August
Old Nov 17th 2018, 9:13 am
Just Joined

McGregor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by timmyf View Post
Hi this is my house and it’s on Calle Filipe
Hi Tim it's nearly my house now haha I've found this forum and it's great for information on martos can't wait to see the new washing machine put in February and receiving the keys of THE CAPTAIN from your good self at long last I'm buying your property and I have to say you've been a gentleman and a great help from day one.
Old Nov 17th 2018, 9:44 am
Just Joined

McGregor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wicklowjack View Post
it is on calle filipe
not the easyest area to det to in martos
bit high on the hill almost the top of the hill
come and look is my advice
there are lots of houses for sale
and things are picking up here so now is the pime to buy
Hi jack I'm new to this forum and just noticed your Irish as well. Are you already living in Martos I'm from Dublin and I'm in the process of buying the captain from Tim I'll be going out there 21st of February 2019 with my daughter and my granddaughter and meeting up with Tim for the keys ect. I'd love to meet up with some Irish people as well English people start bulding up a few new neighbors.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

wicklowjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by McGregor View Post

Hi jack I'm new to this forum and just noticed your Irish as well. Are you already living in Martos I'm from Dublin and I'm in the process of buying the captain from Tim I'll be going out there 21st of February 2019 with my daughter and my granddaughter and meeting up with Tim for the keys ect. I'd love to meet up with some Irish people as well English people start bulding up a few new neighbors.
hello
good to see another spanish person in martos will deff join you for a drink

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.