Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Old Jan 3rd 2018, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Swish3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

The quote is actually 5,500 euros including the chasing out of the walls which is a bit extreme for a 2 bedroom house. I've already paid 700 euros for the electrical meter for the connection from Endesa to be fitted.

I will have to get another quote or two for sure...
Old Jan 31st 2018, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

AdrianMalcolm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.
In 2014 I bought a house in Martos from Derryl at Undiscovered Spain and her business partner Diego D'Escober for 19k. The idea was to rent it out but this soon petered out and I was left with electric bills that fluctuated between 60 and 90 euros. To cut to the point I sold the property last July for 14k. I still got electric bills - Diego claimed he went to the electric company many times but it was never sorted out. The only way I could stop this was by virtually emptying my bank account so they couldn't take any.
Anyway, of the 14k I have only received 10k. Derryl said that 2k was their fee. That leaves 2k unaccounted for. Diego kept saying he would send me the final settlement and deposit any money owing into my bank. Derryl says she doesn't deal with Martos any longer. So far, I have no actual proof the sale has even taken place. Does anyone have any idea what I can do. Diego has stopped answering my emails. Stupidly, I gave him PoA.
Does anyone know what I can do to have this situation sorted out legally without incurring a big expense? Or have I just been conned and that's it?
Old Feb 1st 2018, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, that is awful. Don't know how to help you but maybe get a gestor to sort it out for you in first instance. Get recommendation. Might be cheaper than a lawyer
Old Feb 1st 2018, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

There are still loads of houses for sale in Martos on their website
Old Feb 6th 2018, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Adc9665 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by unhappymartos
Yes it was... I cant name them, but send me a private email and i will.
I am looking at buying property in Martos and came across this old post on this old ex- pat site.
I would really appreciate any warnings about certain companies you may have.
Thank you.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Angry Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Be extremely careful. I thought Derryl, from Undiscovered Spain, and her 'business' partner Diego were bone fide but I am having an almost impossible task of even getting the paperwork from them for a house I have sold, let alone money owed. I haven't even got verification there was a sale!
There are other problems as well which I won't get into now but be warned, those who appear to be friendly and helpful may well have ulterior motives.
I am not accusing anyone of anything yet but I am seeking legal advice and would not wish to see anyone else go through a similar situation.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cermignano
Wow, that is awful. Don't know how to help you but maybe get a gestor to sort it out for you in first instance. Get recommendation. Might be cheaper than a lawyer
Thanks, I will look into it as I had never heard of a gestor. The amount of money is not huge so I don't want to run up a big bill but I don't want anyone else falling into the same trap with 'friendly' estate agents. Oddly enough, Derryl always warned about this sort of thing from other estate agents.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Adc9665 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AdrianMalcolm
Be extremely careful. I thought Derryl, from Undiscovered Spain, and her 'business' partner Diego were bone fide but I am having an almost impossible task of even getting the paperwork from them for a house I have sold, let alone money owed. I haven't even got verification there was a sale!
There are other problems as well which I won't get into now but be warned, those who appear to be friendly and helpful may well have ulterior motives.
I am not accusing anyone of anything yet but I am seeking legal advice and would not wish to see anyone else go through a similar situation.
Many thanks, I followed my gut feelings and uncovered some "concerns" whilst preparing to go and view properties and pulled out. I lost money on the flights due to cancellation but in hindsight still very happy I did. Thank Goodness!
Thanks again for getting back to me. Regards. ADC.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 4:04 am
Just Joined

KilkennyGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
I have been enjoyably guest reading this website over the past while and have garnered some valuable information from other people's postings regarding their experiences and would like to send out a big loud THANK YOU!

I plan on traveling to the Jaén,Spain area and will be in Martos on March 23rd & 24th, 2018.

I have looked on some of the Spanish property websites suggested by other users and a few property listings have caught my eye that I would like to make an appointment to go see.

Unfortunately of recent I have noticed some postings with negative comments about "Undiscovered Spain" and agents Derryl and Diego but from earlier postings there had been positive remarks and experiences mentioned. So I am a little conflicted about who are the best folks to approach for assistance in the property hunt.

I was wondering if I could get some suggestions as who to approach (i.e website and any agent names ) with setting up property viewing appointments and also if anyone was going to be in Martos Fri/Sat March 23rd/24th, 2018 and hopefully we could meet for a coffee and seek your experienced advice.

Thanks and best regards,
KilkennyGuy.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 7:04 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KilkennyGuy
Hi All,
I have been enjoyably guest reading this website over the past while and have garnered some valuable information from other people's postings regarding their experiences and would like to send out a big loud THANK YOU!

I plan on traveling to the Jaén,Spain area and will be in Martos on March 23rd & 24th, 2018.

I was wondering if I could get some suggestions as who to approach (i.e website and any agent names ) with setting up property viewing appointments and also if anyone was going to be in Martos Fri/Sat March 23rd/24th, 2018 and hopefully we could meet for a coffee and seek your experienced advice.

Thanks and best regards,
KilkennyGuy.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/ adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 9th 2018, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Rosemary for the warm welcome and information link on site rules.

I look forward to hitting my 3 post requirement so as I can PM a fellow website user if needed.

Thanks and best regards,
KilkennyGuy.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

wicklowjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KilkennyGuy
Hi All,

I have looked on some of the Spanish property websites suggested by other users and a few property listings have caught my eye that I would like to make an appointment to go see.

Unfortunately of recent I have noticed some postings with negative comments about "Undiscovered Spain" and agents Derryl and Diego but from earlier postings there had been positive remarks and experiences mentioned. So I am a little conflicted about who are the best folks to approach for assistance in the property hunt.

Thanks and best regards,
KilkennyGuy.
hi kilkenny guy will be available to meet for coffee if you wabt over the easter.
things get very busy over the easter in martos
good to see there is another irish intrested in martos
Old Mar 21st 2018, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Hi Wicklowjack,
Thank you for responding with your offer to meet for coffee and let me pick your brain.
Táim go maith agus tá súil agam leat freisin.

I hope that this Friday Mar 23rd at 3:30PM in the cafe at the Hotel Ciudad de Martos would work for you?

Not sure until I post a few more comments that I am able to privately message you yet but perhaps you can PM me and I can share e-mail/phone/skype/whatsapp etc as I do not wish to post here publicly and violate any website rules.

Thanks and best regards,
KilkennyGuy.
Old Jun 23rd 2018, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

dumfries is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by webb15
Hi,

I´ve lived near Martos since 1996. I don´t think Alcaudete is run down but I wouldn´t particularly want to live there or in Martos itself, but I´m a country girl therefore biased!

As hill billly said why not stay in the area for a few days to explore? We have a holiday letting house - Casa El Reguelo near Fuensanta de Martos.

We also know several people selling up in the area and want to sell privately.

Rachel
hi Rachal iam looking at wanting to buy in Spain and was looking Alcaudete is it a bad place to buy if so why. I would appreciate any feedback thanks mary

Last edited by dumfries; Jun 23rd 2018 at 12:18 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 7:42 am
Just Joined

RussellFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, we are an Irish family moving to Martos next month. We have four children, are there any other English speaking families and kids in the area?
We are planning to buy a house through Undiscoveredspain.com. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
The house we like is on Calle Llana Baja. What do people think of this part of town?

Last edited by RussellFamily; Jul 5th 2018 at 8:01 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.