British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/does-anyone-live-jaen-martos-area-737663/)

timmyf Jun 3rd 2012 8:38 pm

Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Originally Posted by skegbylad (Post 9955271)
Hi,
My partner and I visited the area a couple of weeks ago. I liked rural properties but my partner wanted to be in a town. We both liked Alcal la Real, but found good houses more expensive. We found a great town house in Martos and made a cheeky offer which sealed the deal. Martos has everything we need, bars shopping, large supermarkets, swimming pool open in the summer.
Loads of fiestas and the people seem really friendly and it's very cheap. I retire at Xmas at 51 and my pension will give me a worry free life with a housepaid for and money in the bank and a monthly income that allows me to live very comfortably. In uk I would have to rent a place, and struggle along paying huge bills. Example, council tax on our house in Martos is around £60 a year. Let me know how your visit goes and if you want to visit Martos in the future I will show you round. I should complete my purchase 27th April.

hope to see you in martos just brought a cheap house there as a bolt hole at the moment ,holidays etc

skegbylad Jun 3rd 2012 9:37 pm

Hi timmyf,
We have our house now and spent a week there in May.
We are back in UK now, but back in August for 10 days. If you PM me, I will give you my personnel details. We love Martos, and our house there.

tuftyj6 Jun 5th 2012 3:12 pm

Hi there. coming out to view properties as they are so cheap and may mean I can eventually have a home in spain! Is Martos suitable for teenage visitors? is there much to do in the area? Any advise helpful :)

anonimouse Jun 5th 2012 3:42 pm

Nowt wrong with Martos, I like it there. theres a cheap end a an expensive end but it doesn't matter, save your money and buy cheap as they are all friendly folk.

timmyf Apr 30th 2013 1:09 pm

do we actually know how many brits there are either living or have a second home in martos ,

timmyf May 26th 2013 5:56 am

After reading this thread how well did everyone get on with buying in martos?

Durham Family Oct 31st 2013 1:08 am

Hi everyone,
I have just joined this forum and was wondering if any of you are still in martos. We have been restoring a house in the old town for several years whilst living back in the uk owing to the downturn. I would love to hear from anyone in the area.

Rosemary Oct 31st 2013 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Durham Family (Post 10969966)
Hi everyone,
I have just joined this forum and was wondering if any of you are still in martos. We have been restoring a house in the old town for several years whilst living back in the uk owing to the downturn. I would love to hear from anyone in the area.

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

timmyf Oct 31st 2013 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Durham Family (Post 10969966)
Hi everyone,

Hi I'm still in martos , calle fillipe , ex brickie , and general builder if you need any advice , I'm just constructing a large patio and steps myself

Amanda1967 Mar 24th 2014 1:51 pm

Hi timmyf, I have a house in Monte Lope Alverez and get out to it a couple of times a year. I could do with some advice on the walls! As its shut up for most of the year I find that I need to keep painting some of the walls inside and the following year its a pile of dust on the floor again - one room I cant even get a second coat to stick. I have tried sealing the walls with various and using damp/mould free paint etc. Martos is 10 mins drive and a lovely town for all our shopping needs but my Spanish isn't the best - I do try :) but cant find anything over there to cure it. The house is over 100 years old in Calle Granada. Do you think that once I can spend more time there and can air the property a bit more it will get better? Thanks in advance. Oh and that chinese restaurant mmmmmmm lovely. Jaen a great place too

Amanda1967 Mar 24th 2014 1:57 pm

Hi All in Martos and near by (Im in Monte Lope Alvarez). Would love to hear about local things to do and nearby places to visit on/off the beaten track. Lovely castle in Alcala la Real if you haven't yet been. Cheap entry - I take all friends/family there when they visit. :) Next trip to Spain at Easter woop woop

Rosemary Mar 24th 2014 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Amanda1967 (Post 11188094)
Hi All in Martos and near by (Im in Monte Lope Alvarez). Would love to hear about local things to do and nearby places to visit on/off the beaten track. Lovely castle in Alcala la Real if you haven't yet been. Cheap entry - I take all friends/family there when they visit. :) Next trip to Spain at Easter woop woop

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

timmyf Mar 24th 2014 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Amanda1967 (Post 11188086)
Hi timmyf, I have a house in Monte Lope Alverez and get out to it a couple of times a year. I could do with some advice on the walls! As its shut up for most of the year I find that I need to keep painting some of the walls inside and the following year its a pile of dust on the floor again - one room I cant even get a second coat to stick. I have tried sealing the walls with various and using damp/mould free paint etc. Martos is 10 mins drive and a lovely town for all our shopping needs but my Spanish isn't the best - I do try :) but cant find anything over there to cure it. The house is over 100 years old in Calle Granada. Do you think that once I can spend more time there and can air the property a bit more it will get better? Thanks in advance. Oh and that chinese restaurant mmmmmmm lovely. Jaen a great place too

Yes most definitely possibly could do with an air brick or some sort of ventilation I have some patches like that in mine , could try a good pva mixed with water then paint it on but I would say its lack of ventilation more likely , I'm over 30th march with my mate finishing my patio if your there drop us a mail

Pandyst Jun 3rd 2014 7:49 am

Hello , just a quick message to say , myself and my wife have bought a house in martos also , and we were wondering just how many expats there are living in Martos , Im a Vw mecanic , and my wife is a qualified nail tech. and we looking to find some groups etc , cheers

Amanda1967 Jun 3rd 2014 8:42 am

Hello pandyst,
I don't live in Spain permanently and I don't have a house in Martos but I have a holiday home in Monte Lope Alvarez 10 mins up the road. Martos is our nearest town so we visit often while we are there on holiday. One day I will get all the way up to that ruin on the top of the hill :fingerscrossed:
Are you in Martos permanently? Have you both set up business there?
We do sometimes drive over and have a VW so handy to know where to come. :)