Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do you use travel insurance?

Do you use travel insurance?

Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you use travel insurance?

Hi folks!

I'm off to Blighty in a couple of weeks' time, and can't decide whether it's worthwhile buying travel insurance for the duration (3 weeks and a bit!)

What are your experiences please? What do other people do when they are just travelling back to the UK once or twice a year?

Thanks,

Sam.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:10 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you use travel insurance?

Originally Posted by brisca
Hi folks!

I'm off to Blighty in a couple of weeks' time, and can't decide whether it's worthwhile buying travel insurance for the duration (3 weeks and a bit!)

What are your experiences please? What do other people do when they are just travelling back to the UK once or twice a year?

Thanks,

Sam.
Well ..... all I can tell you is that if you need any urgent medical treatment whilst in the UK you will get it without insurance

But having said that, its so cheap nowadays its worth taking it out just for the additional peace of mind. and you can do it on line with ease. Of course it won't cover you for any existing things
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:05 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks!

Thanks,

Sam.
Depends on what you normally do when going on holiday. When you lived in UK did you ever go abroad on holiday without insurance? If not then I guess you would not go abroad from your present home without insurance. Hard one really though because it does not feel like going on holiday does it.

Rosemary
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:12 am
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had travel insurance
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you folks for your helpful replies

You're absolutely right Rosemary, I never travelled from the UK without insurance - and no, it doesn't feel like going on holiday when going back there!

I'm always inclined to err on the side of caution, but the quote I've had is for 59 Euros (£40) for this one trip, and it just seems a bit steep??
Obviously, I could shop around and see what other quotes I get - although I'm not sure how many companies will insure you if you're not a UK resident?

Last year, my Easyjet flight back to Spain was cancelled, and I had to wait 48 hours until the next one
For sure the insurance was worthwhile on that occasion!

I just thought I'd ask for a few more opinions while I try and make my mind up!!

Sam.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:51 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well ..... all I can tell you is that if you need any urgent medical treatment whilst in the UK you will get it without insurance

But having said that, its so cheap nowadays its worth taking it out just for the additional peace of mind. and you can do it on line with ease. Of course it won't cover you for any existing things
You will only get EMERGENCY treatment, i.e. a trip to the A&E dept, if you have to be kept in for even a night, then you WILL HAVE TO PAY, and it comes very very expensive. If you need any prescriptions, then you will have to pay. It's cost us about 90 Euros for travel insurance which covers everything for a similar length of time as you are asking about.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:22 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

We have an annual insurance with these people 24DrTravel £59 for annual multi-trip family policy. They will also cover people with pre-existing conditions but you must go through a declaration process first. The add on was very reasonable.

If you are in the spanish healthcare system then you can go and get the spanish version of the European Healthcard, you would then be covered for all emergency treatment but not for repatriation.

I used to travel with none but then started to think (for instance)what if I broke my leg in the UK, I would have to stay there until it had mended or pay for a very expensive repatriation. It was not so much the thought of paying for the treatment but the thought of having to remain in the UK!!
Yvonne
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:32 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You will only get EMERGENCY treatment, i.e. a trip to the A&E dept, if you have to be kept in for even a night, then you WILL HAVE TO PAY, and it comes very very expensive. If you need any prescriptions, then you will have to pay. It's cost us about 90 Euros for travel insurance which covers everything for a similar length of time as you are asking about.
Oh well, I'll take your word for it ...... different to what I have heard but isn't that always the way.

As I said before, insurance is so cheap its worth getting
I didn't know your age, but for 2 people in their 50's, non UK residents please see this as an example

http://www.worldwideinsure.com/WWTsw...D=0&goto=quote
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by YMF
We have an annual insurance with these people 24DrTravel £59 for annual multi-trip family policy. They will also cover people with pre-existing conditions but you must go through a declaration process first. The add on was very reasonable.

If you are in the spanish healthcare system then you can go and get the spanish version of the European Healthcard, you would then be covered for all emergency treatment but not for repatriation.

I used to travel with none but then started to think (for instance)what if I broke my leg in the UK, I would have to stay there until it had mended or pay for a very expensive repatriation. It was not so much the thought of paying for the treatment but the thought of having to remain in the UK!!
Yvonne

Hi Yvonne,
Thank you for that link and all the other info
I've had a look at their website, and it cetainly seems that their prices are very reasonable.

Can I just check with you (because I can't see it in the small print!) that they definitely cover people who don't live in the UK?
I presume so, seeing as you live in Spain - and because the website states "Instant cover for all EU residents"........but I do like to ckeck these things!

I'm with you on the broken leg example too!!

Many thanks,
Sam.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Many thanks to you both, mikelincs and Mitzyboy, for your advice and more links.
Again, at a glance, that quote also looks very reasonable - so I'll investigate that site a little bit more

I knew it was a good idea to ask you lovely lot what you thought

Many thanks,
Sam.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:09 pm
Senior Moment

The link I put up specifically covers EU citizens, rather than UK citizens. The UK ones tend to have a box you have to tick saying you are a UK citizen and if you don't tick it then it doesn't let you proceed with the quote
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:55 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

Hi Yvonne,

Can I just check with you (because I can't see it in the small print!) that they definitely cover people who don't live in the UK?
I presume so, seeing as you live in Spain - and because the website states "Instant cover for all EU residents"........but I do like to ckeck these things!

Many thanks,
Sam.
Their website is a little confusing but yes they do cover for non-UK residents I specifically checked that with them. Hope that puts your mind at rest. They are very friendly and helpful on the phone, don't know how good they would be if you had to make a claim, there is only one way to find that out and hopefully I will never have to do it !
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:53 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you folks for your helpful replies

You're absolutely right Rosemary, I never travelled from the UK without insurance - and no, it doesn't feel like going on holiday when going back there!

I'm always inclined to err on the side of caution, but the quote I've had is for 59 Euros (£40) for this one trip, and it just seems a bit steep??
Obviously, I could shop around and see what other quotes I get - although I'm not sure how many companies will insure you if you're not a UK resident?

Last year, my Easyjet flight back to Spain was cancelled, and I had to wait 48 hours until the next one
For sure the insurance was worthwhile on that occasion!

I just thought I'd ask for a few more opinions while I try and make my mind up!!

Sam.

I think I would look for unlimited annual cover rather than single trip cover. I know we stopped using holiday companies single trip cover years ago as it was costing a ridiculous amount in comparrison with whole year cover.

Do not currently have cover ourselves so we will have to find cover when we go to visit UK so thanks for posting this thread, it will make interesting reading.

Rosemary
Old Jul 5th 2007, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Did you book your flights through Ryanair? If so you probably bought their insurance as you have to be careful to actively say 'no' when booking flights.

We have annual cover as we are back and forth all year so have to remember to untick the blasted box or whatever, the default is to buy!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by susique
Did you book your flights through Ryanair? If so you probably bought their insurance as you have to be careful to actively say 'no' when booking flights.

We have annual cover as we are back and forth all year so have to remember to untick the blasted box or whatever, the default is to buy!
Hi susique,

No, my flights are with Easyjet - but you have to do the same thing with their insurance option too!
Maybe it's a bit more apparent on the Easyjet site?? I'm not sure.

Thanks for the tip though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.