Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do you think the Spanish think you are rich?

Do you think the Spanish think you are rich?

Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:37 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think the Spanish think you are rich?

Originally Posted by snikpoh
And there's my point I think - how do you define rich?

Is it simply cash in the bank? Disposable income? Multiple properties? Flash car?

Hard to define rich, maybe at least a few million Comfortably off...having property(s) worth at least a million. Parents who also have the same that you will inherit...good investments and pension pot, dunno.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:47 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Hard to define rich, maybe at least a few million Comfortably off...having property(s) worth at least a million. Parents who also have the same that you will inherit...good investments and pension pot, dunno.
I dont know either, but it is not being British and living or having a holiday or second home in Spain, in my opinion........
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I dont know either, but it is not being British and living or having a holiday or second home in Spain, in my opinion........
I think rich is having enough to do what you want without worrying about the cost , theres always someone with more money than you unless you are Bill Gates, and your better of than him if you are happier.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:27 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose some Spanish people can be forgiven if they think that an expat who goes into a bar and drinks 15 pints of lager is rich, and the latest Man U shirt will have set him back £25, even though the shorts, with the zip back to front, cost two Euros at the market and the tight canvas tennis shoes three.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

I suspect that the authors of this type of thread are either paid forum posters or just plain stupid.

Having or not having money is not important to anyone other than the individual.

Most people couldnt identify their neighbours in a line up and by the sounds of it most Brits schlepp from place to place to save a few cents and dont patronise any establishment regularly enough for the staff to even recognise them.

Anyhow, who gives a toss what anyone thinks of them ....... I certainly dont.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:57 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm very sorry if you find it a boring or strange thread, still 3 pages up to now though so plenty of interest.

I simply thought I would give you all something to natter about, that I find when abroad.

The point I was trying to make is, If they don't think we are rich then they must then think we are plain stupid as they always seem to have two prices when wanting work done, a Spanish and an English.

I wasn't really thinking of people showing off trying to look rich, it just seems to happen that as soon as they spot your not local there's a few extra €s added doesn't matter how you dress.

Anyway nice to see every ones views however you interpret the post.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:48 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
I suspect that the authors of this type of thread are either paid forum posters or just plain stupid.

Having or not having money is not important to anyone other than the individual.

Most people couldnt identify their neighbours in a line up and by the sounds of it most Brits schlepp from place to place to save a few cents and dont patronise any establishment regularly enough for the staff to even recognise them.

Anyhow, who gives a toss what anyone thinks of them ....... I certainly dont.
What a load of old tosh. Then again it´s quite funny really.

Graham
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:49 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Well I'm very sorry if you find it a boring or strange thread, still 3 pages up to now though so plenty of interest.

I simply thought I would give you all something to natter about, that I find when abroad.

The point I was trying to make is, If they don't think we are rich then they must then think we are plain stupid as they always seem to have two prices when wanting work done, a Spanish and an English.

I wasn't really thinking of people showing off trying to look rich, it just seems to happen that as soon as they spot your not local there's a few extra €s added doesn't matter how you dress.Anyway nice to see every ones views however you interpret the post.
Does this happen in certain areas? It has definitely not been our experience regarding getting any work done but that may well be because we live in a small town and we used locals. As I said the only time this happened to me was in a market where a lot of Brits and Spanish holidaymakers go and it was a positive thing not a negative thing so I was quite happy.

Rosemary
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor
I think rich is having enough to do what you want without worrying about the cost , theres always someone with more money than you unless you are Bill Gates, and your better of than him if you are happier.
Spot on.

Graham
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:01 pm

I quite like the thread although I have to disagree with only the Spanish/English and two prices. It is everywhere and if you want to meet the experts try the small builders/ electricians/plumbers etc in GB, they are the bees knees at it. A bit of work required in the house well check out each room as you pass through, is there money or not. Adjust the quote as required, not just two prices but infinitely variable.

Graham
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:19 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I think they do and it's not just the Spanish.

Why do you think this might be?

I wasn't really thinking of people showing off trying to look rich, it just seems to happen that as soon as they spot your not local there's a few extra €s added doesn't matter how you dress.

Anyway nice to see every ones views however you interpret the post.
There may be a 2 tier price, but it is not a Spanish price and an English price, I would say it is one price if they think you are a gob**ite and another if they think you have a bit of nouse.

It happens a lot with double glaaing salesman in the uk, if you fall for it at the high price, then thats it, if you are a bit less dumb, they will give you a "special discount".

So if you think you are getting an guiri proce, then maybe looking into yourself might be the order of the day.....
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:41 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Not just myself who needs to be looked into then, it's quite common with most Brits I meet.

Have you ever heard anybody say that the coast is far more expensive, or don't eat there, eat where the Spanish eat, or you will pay more? If you haven't I doubt you live in Spain.

Lovely to read your comments but some of you do tend to talk a load of tosh.

Last edited by anonimouse; Apr 13th 2011 at 3:44 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:58 pm
Banned

Not just myself who needs to be looked into then, it's quite common with most Brits I meet.

Have you ever heard anybody say that the coast is far more expensive, or don't eat there, eat where the Spanish eat, or you will pay more? If you haven't I doubt you live in Spain.

Lovely to read your comments but some of you do tend to talk a load of tosh.
What are you going on about? of course there will be different prices in different establishments, but they will be the same price for their customers no matter what the nationality.
That has got nothing to do with what you are saying, which is the price goes up when the see you are British, because they think you are rich.

Because if you know any different ie they charge you more then you should open your mouth, ask for the complaints book, and protest.

You are not good at joined up thinking at all.
If you feel that is the case instead of stirring and bellyaching, it is in your power to do something about it, because the price list should be lodged with the relevant office in the town where the offense happens.

I can tell you now if I felt I was being overchardged because of my nationality in the UK or Spain, I would let them know about in no uncertain terms, some time one has to be a man, not a mouse.

Last edited by JLFS; Apr 13th 2011 at 4:02 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS
What are you going on about? of course there will be different prices in different establishments, but they will be the same price for their customers no matter what the nationality.
That has got nothing to do with what you are saying, which is the price goes up when the see you are British, because they think you are rich.

Because if you know any different ie they charge you more then you should open your mouth, ask for the complaints book, and protest.

You are not good at joined up thinking at all.
If you feel that is the case instead of stirring and bellyaching, it is in your power to do something about it, because the price list should be lodged with the relevant office in the town where the offense happens.
Even if I can't joined up think, there's Still two prices though, when they think they can get away with it that is. They only caught me once.

I guess you only visit areas that charge so much they think can't get away with anymore on the price.

Most Brits I ever bump into say there's two prices, the Odd's are against what you say.

Anyway you've had a lovely afternoon contributing to the strange thread you can't understand, hope you enjoyed it.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:13 pm
Banned

Even if I can't joined up think, there's Still two prices though, when they think they can get away with it that is. They only caught me once.

I guess you only visit areas that charge so much they think can't get away with anymore on the price.

Most Brits I ever bump into say there's two prices, the Odd's are against what you say.

Anyway you've had a lovely afternoon contributing to the strange thread you can't understand, hope you enjoyed it.
I meant it was a strange thread, and it seemed to me it was posted to stir things up.......I have never denied that there could be different prices when asking for quotes for work.

There is the price that the job in worth with a profit factored in, and there is the price they might think they can get away with depending on how dumb they think the customer is, which if challenged will almost certainly be dropped.

As for different prices in restaurants I have yet to see the menu marked with Spanish price 9 euros, guiri price 11.

So maybe the ones who get ripped off should get together and practice some self assertion, it could be a whole new world of fairness and self respect opens up to them

Last edited by JLFS; Apr 13th 2011 at 4:15 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.