Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do you recommend waiting a bit to apply for residencia?

Do you recommend waiting a bit to apply for residencia?

Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

emjharts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you recommend waiting a bit to apply for residencia?

We are moving to Spain next month and are wondering how long we should wait before applying for residencia as I know we have to have done this within 6 months of living there.
We will not be working in Spain as my Husband will be working remotely from home for the company that he currently works for in the UK (he is a software developer) and so we do not need to do this for tax purposes as until we become residents he will continue to pay tax to the UK as we do now.
However, I am worried as some people have said it can take a few weeks or several months for an application to come through so what is your advice? Do we need our residency for medical treatment or can we use our EHIC medical card until then? Any advice would be great.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:14 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you recommend waiting a bit to apply for residencia?

There really is no such thing as "Residencia" any more for EU citizens.

What you MUST do is register on the central list of foreigners residing in Spain. You can do that as soon as you arrive but you MUST do it before you spend 90 consecutive days in Spain. You will just receive a piece of A4 paper (sometimes a smaller version in some regions) to prove that you have done this. This procedure is done in person at your nearest Policia Nacional office and you should get the certificate immediately or within a day or two.

As for tax residency, you become tax resident when you spend more than 183 days (not necessarily consecutively) in one calendar year in Spain. When that occurs you become tax resident for the whole of that year.

As a tax resident your entire worldwide income is taxable in Spain. Any tax paid in the UK can be deducted from any tax due in Spain.

If you are not working in Spain, either self employed or employed, you will not normally be eligible for medical cover. As non UK residents you will not be entitled to a UK EHIC card either and any UK card that you do hold become invalid. The EHIC card is purely for use in an emergency (or for ongoing treatment) while away from your home country as a tourist. Private health insurance is the preferred option.

The best route for you is for your husband to register as self employed in Spain (as an "Autonomo"). He will have to pay about €250/mth but that will entitle you to full health cover.

If possible he needs to see if he can get HMRC in the UK to allow him to be paid gross but that can be tricky. If not he just pays the UK tax and deducts it from the Spanish tax.

It might be worth talking to the DWP about this.

There was a thread on this subject a couple of years ago.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628237
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:20 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emjharts
We are moving to Spain next month and are wondering how long we should wait before applying for residencia as I know we have to have done this within 6 months of living there.
We will not be working in Spain as my Husband will be working remotely from home for the company that he currently works for in the UK (he is a software developer) and so we do not need to do this for tax purposes as until we become residents he will continue to pay tax to the UK as we do now.
However, I am worried as some people have said it can take a few weeks or several months for an application to come through so what is your advice? Do we need our residency for medical treatment or can we use our EHIC medical card until then? Any advice would be great.
You will get it (resdiency) in a few minutes (well I did) if you visit the right place and have all the papers that you need on you.

I know many who don't even bother. NIE number might be more worth having.

You can use your EHIC card without or with residency. I did until I got my Spanish card.

Last edited by anonimouse; Oct 14th 2011 at 1:27 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

As Fred James says you cant choose to actually pay your taxes in the UK

If you work from Spain for a UK company then you will have to go autónomo and bill your UK company or get the company to open a Spanish subsidiary. Then you will pay all taxes and social security in Spain. I did the same when I came to Spain a few years ago

The Spanish tax year runs as a calander year, so if you arrive after July then you wont have to pay taxes in Spain until the following year.

There isnt a residencia now, instead you just need an NIE and padrón if I remember. Very painless as long as you speak Spanish or know where to go.

You'll also need a gestor or accountant to sort out your autónomo for you if you dont speak Spanish or can't be bothered to do it yourself. My OH and I do it ourselves and file taxes Qtrly though the online system which is fast and efficient. Paying social security through the autónomo entitles you and your family to a social security number and hence a pension (in the future) and a health card.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:33 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
You will get it (resdiency) in a few minutes (well I did) if you visit the right place and have all the papers that you need on you.

You can use your EHIC card without or with residency. I did until I got my Spanish card.
you shouldn't be able to use your EHIC card with residency

it is for UK residents on HOLIDAY - not for those moving to another country
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Is registering as autonomo something he can have a certain amount of time to do? 90 days? 183 days? We have found an accountant in the town we are moving to.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Is registering as autonomo something he can have a certain amount of time to do? 90 days? 183 days? We have found an accountant in the town we are moving to.
Well, you are supposed to register as autonómo BEFORE you start working/trading.

However because you are moving from the UK to Spain - and the 180 day rule - complicate things a little. It could depend on the date you arrive. So I'd simply ask your accountant. The good think about being autonomo in Spain from the beginning as that your family will have access to health and other social services from the beginning also
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:57 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse

Quite correct - you can, BUT IT'S ILLEGAL!

Even so, we are in receipt of the 'legislation letter' from DWP in UK which simply states that we do NOT get NHS cover from UK. At the same time, the Valencian health authorities continue to insist that my wife has FULL medical cover via her EHIC card

We've lived here for 5 years, told the authorities that we do NOT have EHIC cards any more, and yet they still insist that my wife is covered by one.

The issue will arrive when (heaven forbid) she has treatment here which Spain tries to cross-charge to UK. They will then simply send us a bill!!!
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

ok thanks, i will look into private health care or my Husband will apply to become autonomo and hence we will have spanish health care.
We are in our 30's and never get ill (touch wood) and the only medication I need is Thyroxine of which I can get a 6 month supply from here before I go and apparently I can just buy it over the counter in spain. So, health care isn't a main priority. i think i will get in touch with an accountant in the area we are moving to and see what the best thing to do is.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:10 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
you shouldn't be able to use your EHIC card with residency

it is for UK residents on HOLIDAY - not for those moving to another country
I have residency in a few countries and always have used my card in every one. I now have a Spanish card so, don't care too much.

The way things are going, by the time I get a bill/if I get a bill, I will be broke anyway.

Last edited by anonimouse; Oct 14th 2011 at 2:15 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:15 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

ok thanks, i will look into private health care or my Husband will apply to become autonomo and hence we will have spanish health care.
We are in our 30's and never get ill (touch wood) and the only medication I need is Thyroxine of which I can get a 6 month supply from here before I go and apparently I can just buy it over the counter in spain. So, health care isn't a main priority. i think i will get in touch with an accountant in the area we are moving to and see what the best thing to do is.
It could conceivably be cheaper to have private health care in Spain than to be registered as an autonomo just to get healthcare. If you pay for instance €260 a month for autonomo, there are private health care policies far less than that ... ours cost around €1150 per year for both of us when we first came here, and we are considerably older than you
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

ok thanks, 260 euro a month seems a bit of a lot, if we can get round him not having to register as self employed and get private health care that would be better. Can you suggest any health care companies?
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:19 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

ok thanks, 260 euro a month seems a bit of a lot, if we can get round him not having to register as self employed and get private health care that would be better. Can you suggest any health care companies?
http://www.sanitas.es/
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You will HAVE to be autonomo if you are working from Spain (or your company will have to open a Spanish branch). If you arrive in Nov, then you may be able to get away with it until Jan 2012 but thats it

260 euros isnt so much. My OH and I each pay that, so 520 euros before we earn a penny But thats the way it is. Other things are cheaper, swings and roundabouts

Anyway, an accountant will know better than me. Sorry I do not have a contact for you
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:58 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
You will HAVE to be autonomo if you are working from Spain (or your company will have to open a Spanish branch). If you arrive in Nov, then you may be able to get away with it until Jan 2012 but thats it
Absolutely.

If you live in Spain and are generating an income you must register as self employed irrespective of which country the payments are coming from.

Just like tax residency it is not optional.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.