Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do you need a passport to cross to Portugal

Do you need a passport to cross to Portugal

Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:37 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you need a passport to cross to Portugal

Originally Posted by Fred James
No, an ID card is OK.

The UK is not a party to the Schengen agreement which means that they have border controls. A Spanish ID is acceptable.

From earlier posts some people think that Brits have to carry passports because Britain is not a Schengen country - that's irrelevant. The reason we have to carry passports is because we don't have ID cards.
So that is the reason the UK ID cards will be so expensive, so they don`t lose the revenue when nobody bothers to renew a UK passport. lol
Old Jun 8th 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

travelalot is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Do you need a passport to cross to Portugal

Thank you for all your replies, i have only just had chance to read them.

The child is 14, we are going back to Spain in July so I will speak to his parents and the letter from the town hall sounds a good idea. The trip will be in August so we will have time to arrange something. The last thing I wanted was problems at the border

Many thanks, as always good advice