Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do you hire domestic servants?

Do you hire domestic servants?

Old Apr 18th 2012, 7:34 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you hire domestic servants?

The new law change as mentioned in this article may be of interest

http://elpais.com/elpais/2012/04/17/...70_146975.html

In Spain some 700,000 people serve in private homes, according to the Active Population Survey (EPA). Of these, 300,000 contribute to Social Security. Of the rest, only 90,634 have signed up under the new law. In other words, more than half are still being paid under the counter.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you hire domestic servants?

It just shows what morons are running the show ,with NI being from around 400 p.m for a full time employee it makes it unworkable/unviable .

The only way to collect revenue to pay for all the crooked activities and ****ups that have gone on for donkeys years is to raise fuel tax, and I`m a self confessed petrol head!
Old Apr 18th 2012, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

I am an unpaid domestic servant. At least that's how I am classed officially.

Seems in Spain men retire and women become housewives.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:08 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

What a load of rubbish the article is, it will be impossible to monitor, I know of a few cases where "help" is used.

It would be impossible to have a contract for the workers, as due to the actual situation regular hours cannot be stipulated.

The workers gets cash in had for the hours worked.

An Aunt of mine has helped out an old couple for years, The husband now in his 80s has had dementia for years, my aunt can only go to work when he is having a good day, as it is impossible when he his bad, nobody knows what kind of day it will be till he wakes upm so planning ahead is usually useless.

If hours had to stipulated they would not be able to pay for the "unworked" hours, as they could not afford it.

Most domestic help arrangements cannont and do not fit in to the "working day" pattern of other types of jobs, ie shops offices etc,

I also know quite a few families who have help, but they are not well off, they have pretty normal jobs themselves, dont earn a great lot, but with an hour or 2 in the mornings having someone to take the children to school, they can manage.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Abyss-Rover is an unknown quantity at this point

"Do you hire domestic servants?"

This is one of the reasons why the expat community is looked down on. These people are human beings and slavery went out a long time ago.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 5:02 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Abyss-Rover
"Do you hire domestic servants?"

This is one of the reasons why the expat community is looked down on. These people are human beings and slavery went out a long time ago.
did you actually read the article??

it has nothing to do with 'expats', except for the mention that most of the domestic workers are immigrants
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnxa
did you actually read the article??

it has nothing to do with 'expats', except for the mention that most of the domestic workers are immigrants
"The article" that you mention, says nothing about "Servants". It does mention "domestic service", "household cleaners", "domestic employee" and the "household workers' organization" but not "Servants".

So, unless I am mistaken, it was an expat that wrote this thread and put the title to it..............
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:39 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Abyss-Rover
"The article" that you mention, says nothing about "Servants". It does mention "domestic service", "household cleaners", "domestic employee" and the "household workers' organization" but not "Servants".

So, unless I am mistaken, it was an expat that wrote this thread and put the title to it..............
I don't think he's actually an expat
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I don't think he's actually an expat
Then I stand corrected.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 10:14 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I had help Fridays and Mondays in Spain, would have been a bit expensive to have to pay 200+ for SS. Same happens in the UK....in the hand. The UK rule is that it is the cleaners (insert whatever word you like!) responsibility to pay as self-employed as they usually work for 3 or 4 different households. Different if you employ someone for 40 hours.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 10:23 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I had help Fridays and Mondays in Spain, would have been a bit expensive to have to pay 200+ for SS. Same happens in the UK....in the hand. The UK rule is that it is the cleaners (insert whatever word you like!) responsibility to pay as self-employed as they usually work for 3 or 4 different households. Different if you employ someone for 40 hours.
Like you I would not expect to become involved with payroll stuff to have someone in the house for such a short amount of time. I wonder how many cleaners etc do pay a stamp etc in either country.

Rosemary
Old Apr 20th 2012, 10:23 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jackytoo
my cleaner pays autónomo payments afaik - I do know she gets healthcare so I suppose she must be paying..........
Old Apr 20th 2012, 10:26 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Like you I would not expect to become involved with payroll stuff to have someone in the house for such a short amount of time. I wonder how many cleaners etc do pay a stamp etc in either country.

Rosemary
According to the article a little under half pay in Spain

In Spain some 700,000 people serve in private homes, according to the Active Population Survey (EPA). Of these, 300,000 contribute to Social Security. Of the rest, only 90,634 have signed up under the new law. In other words, more than half are still being paid under the counter.
I imagine that if you have enough guaranteed hours, then it makes sense to sign up for the health (includes family?) and pension benefits. As others have stated, it wouldn't make any sense for someone only doing a few hours here and there to do this.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 7:12 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Would crew members cleaners and cooks on ones boat be classed as servants?