Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do you have a new neighbour?

Do you have a new neighbour?

Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:59 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you have a new neighbour?

If they're a Scottish couple, looking harrassed, please don't ask them for a loan.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-pour-in.html

Britain's biggest-ever lottery winners face being hounded out of their own home by hundreds of people begging them for cash.

Colin and Christine Weir are believed to have fled to Spain after winning £161 million in last Tuesday's Euromillions.

Begging letters have already started pouring through the letterbox of their modest £180,000 three-bedroom home in Largs, Ayrshire.
I'm always surprised that winners don't insist on no publicity. I realise the news would eventually get out, but I suspect life is semi-hell at the moment for the Weir couple.

If you're reading this, Colin and Christine, I can show you a place in Spain where you won't be recognised and you can take it easy. I'll sort it all out for you, and for a very reasonable price!
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Rostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really nice
Default Re: Do you have a new neighbour?

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
If they're a Scottish couple, looking harrassed, please don't ask them for a loan.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-pour-in.html

I'm always surprised that winners don't insist on no publicity. I realise the news would eventually get out, but I suspect life is semi-hell at the moment for the Weir couple.

If you're reading this, Colin and Christine, I can show you a place in Spain where you won't be recognised and you can take it easy. I'll sort it all out for you, and for a very reasonable price!
They must be daft. Did you see all the stuff about the Postie wading through sacks of mail?

I don't think I'd even tell the family ..
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:33 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I feel really sorry for them.

It must be hell turning down all those begging letters

I would be happy to volunteer for the position of personal assistant to answer all the mail and advise them how to spend the cash.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Think I would agree with you there Rostra.

I can understand that they are happy to be winners but did they think that by telling everyone they were not going to be harassed out of their home, were they so naive that they thought it was not going to happen to them.

Now everyone and their dog knows who they are but at least they are not likely to have their phones hacked and the press are going to be very quick to tell everyone that any skeletons in the cupboards printed in the papers was gained legitimately, at least they will know who their friends and family truly are but now they will always wonder if it is their money or them that makes them popular.

I would have kept very quite but slowly trickle it through the family with a bit here and a little bit there, but then again I did not win 161 million so it is easy to say that now.

I wish them every luck because I fear they are going to need it, lets see how much is left by the time the divorce is made legal, money talks and that much shouts at you.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:08 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

There was an article in The Times yesterday saying does it ruin lives or is it just sour grapes. Out of 2400 lottery millionaires only a few have had disasterous lives and points out we don't hear about all the happy ones.

One who comes from Grimsby (still there) has a lovely home in large grounds. She won 14 million in 1998. Her sons were 7 and 8 at the time. She did get divorced but says the money gave her the independence to get out of a bad marriage. Her sons are now at University and she has a boyfriend. Amongst the things her and her family have done is African safari, world cruise, days out to grand prix.

It said that most winners never move more than 4 miles from their home. If they lived in a council house they bought detached, if they lived in a detached they buy a mansion.

The two who won 161 million will be easily recognised on any of the costas...probably being stalked right now by a few estate agents
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Rostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really nice

Originally Posted by jay01
Think I would agree with you there Rostra.

were they so naive that they thought it was not going to happen to them.
I think they probably are. Did you see them on TV? Both with massive weight problems and their self confessed idea of a night out is the local chippie three times a week?

Sad really - bet they don't manage to hang on to much of it. The vultures will be landed, never mind circling. Probably ruined their lives!

I wouldnt want to win that much - really.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:15 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

The OH said she would only want £1m, no need for the rest

So there's us arguing and heading to a split and I havent won it yet !!
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:19 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I think I would have tried to sort out the weight problem before dashing off to Spain (Champenys sounds nice)

I would have love to win all that money. Would have been nice to be able to send 5 million to the costa animal charities etc. Plus there are quite a few luxurious breaks I would like to take. I could go on but deserving people like me never win it
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:25 pm
Banned

A couple here who did good with their winnings.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/lotter...ities_1_262274
Old Jul 18th 2011, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
The OH said she would only want £1m, no need for the rest

So there's us arguing and heading to a split and I havent won it yet !!
Well give her the £1m you keep the other £160m and boot her out, saves arguing.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 2:16 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Well give her the £1m you keep the other £160m and boot her out, saves arguing.
mmmmm thats what happened with the ex, mustn't make too much of a habit out of this.......
Old Jul 18th 2011, 2:24 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rostra
They must be daft. Did you see all the stuff about the Postie wading through sacks of mail?

I don't think I'd even tell the family ..
Damn straight.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by bil
Damn straight.
what family ?
Old Jul 19th 2011, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Domino
what family ?