Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Old Aug 10th 2011, 9:46 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Yes I think you could
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Macberry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Thanks Jackytoo, we live in Mexico ,with a similar culture to Spain, but here the cost of living is much cheaper - $1700.00 USD is all you need to show to the Mexican immigration in order to live here! We are thinking of moving to Spain so we can experience europe without sacrificing the wonderful architecture that both countries have in common. On the Pacific coast it is also very humid at this time of year as well as hot!
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macberry
On an income of Euro 2500 monthly, could a retired couple live in a inland town in Malaga? This would have to include the cost of running a small car. No rent but owning a house.
Yes you could easily live on that amount, unless of course you want to live in a huge house and live a millionaire lifestyle.
I would say that you could live well, eat out often and even manage to save a little on that amount inland from Malaga.

Hope the move works out well for you!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 5:28 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Yes you could easily live on that amount, unless of course you want to live in a huge house and live a millionaire lifestyle.
I would say that you could live well, eat out often and even manage to save a little on that amount inland from Malaga.

Hope the move works out well for you!
yes, very easily

as a family of 4 we have lived on far less - including having to pay rent
Old Aug 11th 2011, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

On an income of Euro 2500 monthly, could a retired couple live in a inland town in Malaga? This would have to include the cost of running a small car. No rent but owning a house.
You will live like Kings.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 5:15 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
You will live like Kings.
do you want a chauffeur ??
Old Aug 11th 2011, 5:19 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

There is an article in today's Sur. States that restaurants on the málaga coast are not doing well. Lots of comments about food, service and prices. One spaniard said in calle larios they charge 2.80 for a small coke. Others complained about cheap frozen fish being sold at top prices for fresh fish. Many said small bottles of water were 1.80.

I know it's not really about cost of living per se but if prices have gone up as they (the spanish) claim then other items must have risen.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:04 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
There is an article in today's Sur. States that restaurants on the málaga coast are not doing well. Lots of comments about food, service and prices. One spaniard said in calle larios they charge 2.80 for a small coke. Others complained about cheap frozen fish being sold at top prices for fresh fish. Many said small bottles of water were 1.80.

I know it's not really about cost of living per se but if prices have gone up as they (the spanish) claim then other items must have risen.
You're always going to get traders trying it on in a tourist zone. I was in Greenwich, east London last week. Went up to a stall near the market and asked for a couple of small ice creams - they had the cheek to state they'd run out of small ice creams, but the larger ones (at more than double the price on the price list) were still available. I just cancelled my order and walked away. Funnily enough, my partner and I got our ice creams later that day, near the Embankment at a lower cost.

Agree with you about the price of a coke in Spain - it's always been high, although at least they put ice and lemon in it! Beats me how they can serve up a glass of wine with free tapa (ok not where you go Jacky) for between 1 and 1.50, maybe 2 for premium glass of Rioja or Ribero, yet charge over 2 for a coke. Still, they only charge what the market will bear, and I suppose their argument is a wine drinker is liable to drink more than one; most people couldn't drink more than one coke.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

The other poster (#60) was asking about cost of living inland from Malaga, as you know it's much less there than in Malaga itself.
It's true that prices have increased a little, but we find we can live very comfortably on 1500€ per month for the two of us, including eating out a couple of times a week but obviously in a venta not in expensive restaurants!

We have no mortgage or rent to pay and have no debts, so we don't even need to touch my two pensions at all.... the kids are quite happy with their growing inheritance.

Last edited by megmet; Aug 11th 2011 at 6:13 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:53 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
You're always going to get traders trying it on in a tourist zone. I was in Greenwich, east London last week. Went up to a stall near the market and asked for a couple of small ice creams - they had the cheek to state they'd run out of small ice creams, but the larger ones (at more than double the price on the price list) were still available. I just cancelled my order and walked away. Funnily enough, my partner and I got our ice creams later that day, near the Embankment at a lower cost.

Agree with you about the price of a coke in Spain - it's always been high, although at least they put ice and lemon in it! Beats me how they can serve up a glass of wine with free tapa (ok not where you go Jacky) for between 1 and 1.50, maybe 2 for premium glass of Rioja or Ribero, yet charge over 2 for a coke. Still, they only charge what the market will bear, and I suppose their argument is a wine drinker is liable to drink more than one; most people couldn't drink more than one coke.
my local in Granada, not a low price place with over 2m tourists every year, charges €1.80 for glass of beer €1.80 for bottle of coke, both accompanied by a large size tapas for 2, but that is on the outskirts of the city. In the centre there is a cafe charging €1.00 for a coffee (any style) and €1.20 for a zumo. Other cafe's nearby are generally €1.20 and €1.50 respectively. Most of them do the bottle of coke at €1.80. No one seems to break the €1.80 for a glass of beer and tapas. But some of the tapas are pushing boundaries a little i.e. 8 olives on a saucer .

must assume there is less profit on a coke as a premium product ??

as an aside - in this part of Andalucia there is no French brandy\cognac available in bars or cafe's.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
my local in Granada, not a low price place with over 2m tourists every year, charges €1.80 for glass of beer €1.80 for bottle of coke, both accompanied by a large size tapas for 2, but that is on the outskirts of the city. In the centre there is a cafe charging €1.00 for a coffee (any style) and €1.20 for a zumo. Other cafe's nearby are generally €1.20 and €1.50 respectively. Most of them do the bottle of coke at €1.80. No one seems to break the €1.80 for a glass of beer and tapas. But some of the tapas are pushing boundaries a little i.e. 8 olives on a saucer .

must assume there is less profit on a coke as a premium product ??

as an aside - in this part of Andalucia there is no French brandy\cognac available in bars or cafe's.
Don´t you drink the Spanish?
Old Aug 12th 2011, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Don´t you drink the Spanish?
nope - only whisky, dark rum, vodka, wine - surely thats enough

however the oh does and finds Soberano more than acceptable

just we find it funny they don't stock the French but insist on us calling theirs Cognac !
Old Aug 12th 2011, 9:02 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
nope - only whisky, dark rum, vodka, wine - surely thats enough

however the oh does and finds Soberano more than acceptable

just we find it funny they don't stock the French but insist on us calling theirs Cognac !
Osbourne's brandy, tho cheap, is very drinkable. I have a friend who is fairly into brandy, and some of the quite expensive ones are not as mouth friendly, I find.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:14 am
Banned

I like carlos III brandy but mainly prefer French as it's smoother.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by bil
Osbourne's brandy, tho cheap, is very drinkable. I have a friend who is fairly into brandy, and some of the quite expensive ones are not as mouth friendly, I find.
I like carlos III brandy but mainly prefer French as it's smoother.
OH asked my opinion on certain brandies and some were really just coloured alcohol having no residual taste as you can get from a good whisky
some leave a burnt taste in the mouth, something I recognise from the making of rums, which also sometimes display the same taste.
OH prefers the brandy to have a sweet taste rather bitter but then usually drowns it in coca-cola, but you still get the main brandy taste in there.

remember reading about a guy in the Carib who sails round the islands tasting all the local rums and recording them. that is some hobby
rums are seeing a resurgence after many doldrum years. My particular favourite is Woods 100% proof. Very fine distinctive taste, sweeter than one people keep trying to tell me is good called Pussers, which has a bitter aftertaste. Just don't seem to be able to get a supply of Woods in Spain, but as its abt £24 a btl in Morrisons someone somewhere seems to be trying to price it out of the market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.