Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:13 am
  #31  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly View Post
Err, why do you repeatedly attribute posts to myself and others that that have never ever been made.

Considering that you claim to be a guy who only believes in proven facts, I find this repeated behaviour somewhat confusing.

Are you really so desperate to prove your point or is it simply a case of old age catching up with you ?
Oh, so you weren't the idiot who said that the UK wins hands down? Because it really is a deeply stupid thing to say. If the UK won hands down, then this argument, which comes up every time wouldn't exist, because it would be clear.

The argument is never clear, as I posted before, because everybody's view is different, everyone lives in different parts of the two countries, everyone has different incomes and lifestyles, AND YOU SIMPLY CAN'T DEMONSTRATE THAT ONE COUNTRY IS HUGELY, 'HANDS DOWN' CHEAPER.

Proving that point is pretty simple old son.

You really must learn not to lead with your chin like that.
bil is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:19 am
  #32  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,495
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

An avid reader in Spain (Spanish) finds it very expensive to pursue their hobby whereas their friend who is a heavy drinker finds it very cheap to pursue their interest. The opposite would be said of two people with the same interests if they live in UK.

Comparisons are always difficult because it always depends on peoples expectations, needs and lifestyle.

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; Aug 9th 2011 at 8:23 am.
Rosemary is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:35 am
  #33  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Originally Posted by The Oddities View Post
An avid reader in Spain (Spanish) finds it very expensive to pursue their hobby whereas their friend who is a heavy drinker finds it very cheap to pursue their interest. The opposite would be said of two people with the same interests if they live in UK.

Comparisons are always difficult because it always depends on peoples expectations, needs and lifestyle.

Rosemary
Exactly my point. Comparisons with such variables are almost meaningless. We can all point out items that are cheaper, better, faster, slower, wtf.

I have no objection to someone saying that you can buy more types of beetroot in the UK, or that the prawns are cheaper in Spain. What I find ridiculous is that someone would be able to claim that the argument was winnable 'Hands down'. That's as silly as saying that the UK has 'the perfect climate'

Hang on........ there's a pattern here......
bil is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:43 am
  #34  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,368
agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Originally Posted by jackytoo View Post
From personal experience we saved £345 on 2 cars when we insured in the UK.
Yes, not sure what Mitzy is insuring, but I pay £300 'ish for a new expensive VW, fully comp, protected no claims, legal help etc. Four named drivers, myself, wife, son and DIL, all with clean licences, max no claims. Area probably helps me though, it's one of the lowest in the country for insurance.
agoreira is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:54 am
  #35  
On the road again.
 
Dick Dasterdly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: On Top of the World
Posts: 17,507
Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Originally Posted by bil View Post
Oh, so you weren't the idiot who said that the UK wins hands down? Because it really is a deeply stupid thing to say. If the UK won hands down, then this argument, which comes up every time wouldn't exist, because it would be clear.

The argument is never clear, as I posted before, because everybody's view is different, everyone lives in different parts of the two countries, everyone has different incomes and lifestyles, AND YOU SIMPLY CAN'T DEMONSTRATE THAT ONE COUNTRY IS HUGELY, 'HANDS DOWN' CHEAPER.

Proving that point is pretty simple old son.

You really must learn not to lead with your chin like that.
Unfortunately, you were the one to lead with your chin and drop yourself right in it.

I am still waiting for you to refer me to the post you claim I made regarding utility bills.
Though as it simply does not exist, I reckon I could be waiting till the cows come home.

Obviously not satisfied with dropping yourself in a hole, you foolishly elect to keep on digging by quoting two words "HANDS DOWN" from my post which correctly reads in full context,...
"If you drink like a fish, smoke like a chimney and drive the wheels of your car then Spain is the place to be, otherwise the UK wins hands down."

I don't know if you've been in Spain long enough to recall a time when Spain won hands down on all counts, but clearly that is now far from being the case and if present trends continue could well be completely reversed.

Next time try with PROVEN FACTS old lad, PROVEN FACTS, just as you are forever preaching to others.
Dick Dasterdly is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:59 am
  #36  
Not Banned (yet)
 
steviedeluxe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Madrid
Posts: 6,399
steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly View Post
Unfortunately, you were the one to lead with your chin and drop yourself right in it.

I am still waiting for you to refer me to the post you claim I made regarding utility bills.
Though as it simply does not exist, I reckon I could be waiting till the cows come home.

Obviously not satisfied with dropping yourself in a hole, you foolishly elect to keep on digging by quoting two words "HANDS DOWN" from my post which correctly reads in full context,...
"If you drink like a fish, smoke like a chimney and drive the wheels of your car then Spain is the place to be, otherwise the UK wins hands down."

I don't know if you've been in Spain long enough to recall a time when Spain won hands down on all counts, but clearly that is now far from being the case and if present trends continue could well be completely reversed.

Next time try with PROVEN FACTS old lad, PROVEN FACTS, just as you are forever preaching to others.
But clearly the UK does not win hands down in terms of rent. house prices, public transport, eating out, etc. which is the logical conclusion of your "UK wins hands down". Certainly not in London (although that may well change now) and the South-East. Some things may well be cheaper in other parts of the UK, and there are things eg printed books, clothing that can be cheaper. But "hands down"?
steviedeluxe is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:06 am
  #37  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly View Post
Unfortunately, you were the one to lead with your chin and drop yourself right in it.

I am still waiting for you to refer me to the post you claim I made regarding utility bills.
Though as it simply does not exist, I reckon I could be waiting till the cows come home.

Obviously not satisfied with dropping yourself in a hole, you foolishly elect to keep on digging by quoting two words "HANDS DOWN" from my post which correctly reads in full context,...
"If you drink like a fish, smoke like a chimney and drive the wheels of your car then Spain is the place to be, otherwise the UK wins hands down."

I don't know if you've been in Spain long enough to recall a time when Spain won hands down on all counts, but clearly that is now far from being the case and if present trends continue could well be completely reversed.

Next time try with PROVEN FACTS old lad, PROVEN FACTS, just as you are forever preaching to others.
...and the chin is out again! Nowhere did I say that you said that, fool. I merely posted that to your ridiculous post to show that your 'hands down' comment was the product of a deranged fantasist.

and the chin is out yet again... nowhere, but nowhere have I said Spain wins hands down, unless it has been preceeded with the words 'For me'

You see, if you say 'For me the UK wins hands down', no-one can argue with that point. If you say 'the UK wins hands down' without qualifying the comment you are wide open to a linguistic uppercut.

Tell you what, HBG is a writer. Get him to give out writing courses, enroll and get him to show you the difference. Get him to help you with clarity of writing too, as your prose is very muddled.
bil is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:10 am
  #38  
Senior Moment
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 20,460
Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Originally Posted by agoreira View Post
Yes, not sure what Mitzy is insuring, but I pay £300 'ish for a new expensive VW, fully comp, protected no claims, legal help etc. Four named drivers, myself, wife, son and DIL, all with clean licences, max no claims. Area probably helps me though, it's one of the lowest in the country for insurance.
Me? A 2 lit V6 sports car. When I left the UK I paid £320 ish fully comprehensive, and when I reinsured it third party in the UK earlier this year with accepted continuous NCB for 10 years + it was over £500.

My daughter pays £750 third party on a Peugeot 106, garaged at night in a gated community, she is 27 and has no accidents or points. She used confused.com and all the other comparison sites
Mitzyboy is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:14 am
  #39  
BE Enthusiast
 
derek500's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 300
derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Although ADSL may appear expensive in Spain, you need to compare the products.

On my exchange in the UK the cheapest I could get was a 'retention' deal with BT. I pay £18 per month for phone line and 6mb ADSL (but capped at 10gb per month).

Here, I pay 22€ for Vodafone - line and 3mb ADSL, but unlike the UK it's uncapped.

Personally, I prefer the lower speed to the capped. 10gb wouldn't last me a week here. Streaming live radio, iPlayer and voip are data hungry.

Last week in the UK I used nearly 1gb and that just on my smartphone in five days.
derek500 is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:15 am
  #40  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy View Post
Me? A 2 lit V6 sports car. When I left the UK I paid £320 ish fully comprehensive, and when I reinsured it third party in the UK earlier this year with accepted continuous NCB for 10 years + it was over £500.

My daughter pays £750 third party on a Peugeot 106, garaged at night in a gated community, she is 27 and has no accidents or points. She used confused.com and all the other comparison sites
Confused got me an amazing deal when I wanted my son, who had a provisional licence to be able to drive the van (obviously with me in it). The other companies wouldn't touch us.
bil is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:28 am
  #41  
On the road again.
 
Dick Dasterdly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: On Top of the World
Posts: 17,507
Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe View Post
But clearly the UK does not win hands down in terms of rent. house prices, public transport, eating out, etc. which is the logical conclusion of your "UK wins hands down". Certainly not in London (although that may well change now) and the South-East. Some things may well be cheaper in other parts of the UK, and there are things eg printed books, clothing that can be cheaper. But "hands down"?
I don't know why ppl. keep referring to London and S.E. as though it's typical of the UK as a whole, when nothing could be further from the truth.

As far as my own regions concerned its still overall hands down or no contest whichever you prefer and cherry picking the odd item or two here or there doesn't really alter the facts very much.

Would be very nice to move the clock back twenty years to the old peseta days in Spain but it appears they are now long gone for good.

No doubt those of us who knew them well, feel the contrast of todays Spain much more than recent arrivals.
Dick Dasterdly is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:39 am
  #42  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,368
agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy View Post
Me? A 2 lit V6 sports car. When I left the UK I paid £320 ish fully comprehensive, and when I reinsured it third party in the UK earlier this year with accepted continuous NCB for 10 years + it was over £500.

My daughter pays £750 third party on a Peugeot 106, garaged at night in a gated community, she is 27 and has no accidents or points. She used confused.com and all the other comparison sites
Insurance works in mysterious ways, so many variable to take into account. Depending on the area, £500 for a V6 sports car doesn't sound unreasonable, my car isn't V6, it's a coupe, I'd probably pay a similar amount in many other parts of the country. I always haggle, never accept the first quote. The company I use used to say they'd always price match, so got £200 off their quote the year before last. Last year though, no deal, but still worth a go.
agoreira is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:42 am
  #43  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 228
adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

I spend 6 months in each country and if I had to choose I would say Spain is now more exspensive everything taken into account, but I guess we will all have our own opinions, even thoses who don't do the finances in thier house too
adra04778 is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:50 am
  #44  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,368
agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly View Post
.

No doubt those of us who knew them well, feel the contrast of todays Spain much more than recent arrivals.
I think you have knocked the nail on the head. Years ago this question would never have been asked, it was beyond doubt, Spain was cheaper for everything, by a country mile. The fact that the question keeps popping up is because now, overall, there is not much to choose between the two. Some winners, some losers. Just reading a blog from a Galician guy that has been holidaying here in UK, he reckoned eating out was cheaper here than Galicia. The main difference for the Spanish themselves is that many more are out of work, especially the youngsters, and wages are so much lower. Well qualified youngsters are leaving in their thousands, or would like to. Well heeled expats might be fine, but for the Spanish themselves, it's a different story.
agoreira is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:52 am
  #45  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Living in a good place
Posts: 8,824
jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

We find eating out less expensive where we live in the UK. Local pub, nice tudor one with inglenook fireplaces, does a roast Mon-Fri for £5.95, only 1 coure but a lot more substantial than those offering 3 courses for 9 euro on the CDS. 2 courses are £7. Wine is £10 per bottle. Locally in Spain 11 euro.

What I do find more expensive in the UK is coffee. Too many Starbucks type places. Although in marbella there are many who charge 2.50 euro!

Can't remember the exchange rate when we moved to Spain but it was good. Better still the bank rate for savings was 15%. Put a lump sum in and it was possible to live off the interest.

I think if you have to watch the pennies in the UK then you will in Spain too.
jackytoo is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.