Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do you feel British expats are somewhat looked down on in Spain?

Do you feel British expats are somewhat looked down on in Spain?

Old May 9th 2011, 11:11 am
COF
Banned

COF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you feel British expats are somewhat looked down on in Spain?

One programme commonly shown on TVEi, TVE's international channel is "Destino: Espana". Basically, its a programme that interviews foreigners living in Spain and looks at life in Spain from their perspective.

However, something I have noticed, despite the hundreds of thousands of Brits living in Spain, one of Spain's biggest minorities, as far as I'm aware, they have not done a single programme about British people living in Spain.

Maybe I'm over analysing this, but I feel that this is the Spanish national broadcaster snubbing Brits to a large extent. I think a significant proportion of the Spanish population view the Brits as nothing but a burden and don't see us as adding anything to their culture and diversity, and thus we aren't seen as worthy subjects of a Spanish TV show.

I know its not a popular opinion, but I honestly get the impression that the Spanish generalise the British a lot and on the whole don't like us at all.
Old May 9th 2011, 11:59 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you feel British expats are somewhat looked down on in Spain?

They like us better than the the Moroccans and the Gypsies

Could be the view of the producers but maybe they just haven't found anyone British that is fluent enough to be on the show.
Old May 9th 2011, 12:16 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
They like us better than the the Moroccans and the Gypsies

Could be the view of the producers but maybe they just haven't found anyone British that is fluent enough to be on the show.
Very un PC but how very true, but dont say it too loud though, or you will have a lot opposing your view, and coming up with stories to back up their cliams.
Old May 9th 2011, 12:55 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I watch TVE1 quite a lot and am quite surprised at just how much coverage British affairs receive, sometimes an even broader perspective than that on UK TV.
The coverage of the Royal wedding for instance was truly amazing and at least comparable to that shown in the UK.
It started a month or so before the event itself and seemingly showed every last bit of archive footage they could dig up.
I would also say that their coverage of UK affairs in general shows great respect, maybe more so than the UK channels.

They also show a much broader perspective of their own affairs than does British TV, never hesitating to venture out to the back of the beyond and get the opinions of the whole world and his wife, whilst Sky and the BBC news channels tend to play the same old studio record hour after hour and day after day to a captive audience.
Old May 9th 2011, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice

There have been British people on that show (a Scottish woman in Cantabria, an English guy in Castilla-León, another Scottish in Valencia, Englishman in Navarra, ETC). You can watch them all on the website. I don't think TVE has anything against the British, I think that's just absurd. It's a show, they give a phone number for people to call or they ask around and I assume they choose those who are willing to participate and fluent in Spanish.

And for coverage in general, as some people have already mentioned, there are many more news about Britain here than the other way round. But then again, TV news are completely different.
Old May 10th 2011, 4:34 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I They also show a much broader perspective of their own affairs than does British TV, never hesitating to venture out to the back of the beyond and get the opinions of the whole world and his wife, whilst Sky and the BBC news channels tend to play the same old studio record hour after hour and day after day to a captive audience.
That is very true. I have become really disappointed with BBC news IMHO shallow and often biased. How many programs on UK TV focus on spanish affairs? All I see is an endless stream of a place in the sun or holiday homes from hell.
My son was in London on William and Kate's big day . He was interviewed by Spanish TV
Old May 10th 2011, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

tuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nice

Cast your mind back to when you were in the u/k----What was YOUR opinion of immigrants (ex pats)????. Shame the Spanish government does,nt throw money at US in the same way. Ed
Old May 10th 2011, 7:42 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, ah, We come from the land of the ice and snow, From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow ...

I would suggest it is a scandal the way UK government throws money at immigrants. Spanish government has more sense.

Last edited by missile; May 10th 2011 at 7:45 am.