Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do we have to pay rental agent fee when we didn't retain the agent?

Do we have to pay rental agent fee when we didn't retain the agent?

Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

jane11e is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do we have to pay rental agent fee when we didn't retain the agent?

Hi! We are about to sign a contract for a 3-month rental apt in Valencia. We found the apartment by searching idealista.com and enalquiler.com. We did not use a real estate agent.

Now the agent for the owner is saying we owe the rent (ok, fine) plus a fee for the rental agency of one month's rent + 18% VAT.

Is that right? I would think the owner would pay the fee, since she was using the agent to rent out her apartment.

And if we're from the US, is there any chance we can get the 18% VAT refunded?

Thanks for any knowledge you may have on this topic.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 8:43 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we have to pay rental agent fee when we didn't retain the agent?

Most agents charge tenant and owner a fee. You can refuse and look elsewhere. AFIK, you cannot recliam the VAT.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

1 months rent is way too much commission for a 3 month rental. It might be possible to negotiate it down. At the moment in Spain (not sure about Valencia specifically) it is a buyers market - you could try shopping around.

The last place we rented through an agency (in Altea not Valencia) we paid half a months rent - for a 12 month rental.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 9:19 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I'd tell the agent to "swivel"!!! The landlord can pay him, but since he didnt do anything for you then you shouldnt pay him a bean! Some agents take half a month from the landlord and half month from the tenant - but in your case I'd threaten to walk away and see who wins! As for VAT, I've never heard of that one and I've rented several properties with several agents in Spain!

........ In fact I'd go as far as to say "they are looking at you rubbing their hands and with dollar signs in their eyes"!!!

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Apr 28th 2011 at 9:22 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

When we rented our house with a 11 month agreement we did not have any agent fees to pay and neither did we have any other fees added to our monthly payment and we did not pay any Vat on it either just the required monthly rental that we agreed after negotiations and the same in deposit.

If it was me I would shop around and walk away from that one you are in my opinion being stuffed, there are plenty on the market have a look on kyero.com or thinkSpain.com, are you still in the the US or here in Spain, if you can not view your choice of accommodation you are opening yourself up as sometimes the ads are not totally truthful or a little lacking in information. If you find one you like do you have someone that can go view it on your behalf and ask the questions.