Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do we have a credit rating?

Do we have a credit rating?

Old May 24th 2011, 7:51 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we have a credit rating?

Was Rotor (who started the thread) not asking about Spain ?
Old May 25th 2011, 4:41 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte
Was Rotor (who started the thread) not asking about Spain ?
that's what I thought

& I answered that Experian DO operate in Spain - so logically we must have good/bad credit ratings here - it took us a lot of aggro to get our name 'cleared'

but no-one seems to have picked up on that - so maybe I was wrong & he did want to know about the UK
Old May 25th 2011, 6:03 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
People quite reasonably assume that their "credit rating" is meant to reflect how good they are with money .... but it also gives poor scores to those with little or no credit history.
Agreed... I needed a mobile in UK so popped to ORANGE for a pay-as-you-go ... the assistant convinced me I would be better off with a £10pcm deal for the little use I would have for it.... 35 minutes later and a lot calls / discussion I was refused credit !! for a lousy £120 per year --- could have paid that in one go on the credit card or cash !! Turns out my credit rating is s***e because I never even had a loan before or hire purchase, pay credit cards on time, had no previous phone contract or bad debt ... worked all my life and always been fortunate to pay my way.

CRAZY !! - Turns out the people with no bloody money and keep borrowing and paying on time can get more credit than me who has always been debt free (apart from a paid-up mortgage years ago) !! My sisters just laughed at me, saying I should run up a bit of debt !!!

Anyway I joined Experian on a trial to check my credit rating, took me ages to sort as I had to look at a really old address... and GUESS what it was bloody empty apart from said mortgage from years gone by. I guess I am seen as risky because I have yet to 'prove' to computer I can pay stuff off.

Old May 25th 2011, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Do we have a credit rating?

Originally Posted by lynnxa
that's what I thought

& I answered that Experian DO operate in Spain - so logically we must have good/bad credit ratings here - it took us a lot of aggro to get our name 'cleared'

but no-one seems to have picked up on that - so maybe I was wrong & he did want to know about the UK
But do Experian operate a credit rating agency in Spain? They are a very big company and do other things as well. Was your name sullied in Spain or UK?
Old May 25th 2011, 7:21 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
But do Experian operate a credit rating agency in Spain? They are a very big company and do other things as well. Was your name sullied in Spain or UK?
Even more importantly, do the banks, mobile providers and moneylenders in Spain use Experian to check potential clients' credit scores? Experian aren't actually the only credit rating agency in the UK, but they are perhaps the most famous one. Who do BNV or Santander use in Spain? I suspect we need input from a Spanish person who knows the banking/credit situation there.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:45 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

As far as obtaining your credit score in Spain through Experian or something like that I havent got a clue.

Although I presume that before the brown stuff hit the fan, so to speak, not many, if any checks were made into the persons reliability.

As long as the person in question had enough for the deposit and some paperwork from England, mortgages were given, no problem.

There may not be a hit list of the credit worthy, but there is a S*** list of the bad risks. RAI.

If for some reason you get on that, it can take years to get clean again.

If anyone still has not burned all their bridges in the UK, like us who havent, the best thing would be to try and build up your UK rating, and forget about Spain.

The banks here are a total rip off, if you want to borrow money for anything, the bank will insist that you take out an insurance policy to cover the debt in case of death.

This money is added up front onto the loan, so if you borrow 15k, as soon as you sign on the dotted line you owe about 17k. ( i was looking to buy a second hand camper van at the time),and told the bank to stuff it, as I already have enough life insurance, and assets that would pay any debts outstanding if I popped my cloggs.

If you decide to pay the loan off early and check the outstanding balance, you will see the figure outstanding, but then there will be extra charges to make up for some of the interest rates that the bank will lose if you dont see it through to the final loan date.

It all is such a scam when compared to the UK.
Old May 25th 2011, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Tolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Even more importantly, do the banks, mobile providers and moneylenders in Spain use Experian to check potential clients' credit scores? Experian aren't actually the only credit rating agency in the UK, but they are perhaps the most famous one. Who do BNV or Santander use in Spain? I suspect we need input from a Spanish person who knows the banking/credit situation there.
When we got our Spanish mortgage - albeit a few years ago now, our bank manager asked us to get our Experien report for him, so he could attach it to our mortgage application
Old May 25th 2011, 2:05 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
we have no ties to the UK - it was here in Spain
Old May 25th 2011, 2:43 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Google is AMAZING!

http://www.experian.es/
Old May 25th 2011, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Do we have a credit rating?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Google is AMAZING!

http://www.experian.es/
He's been Matts friend for years!!!!
Old May 30th 2011, 11:19 am
¿Dónde estoy?

this link appeared on my FaceBook

http://www.ficherodemorosos.com/

loosely translates to 'file of delinquents' & shows several different companies & 'judicial incidences' - would that be like CCJ?

anyway - it's clear that there are indeed records of credit rating here in Spain