Reload this Page >

Do we change NIEs?

Do we change NIEs?

Old Sep 18th 2018, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

tortis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do we change NIEs?

Hello everybody,

My husband and I have the little green NIEs just for over 2 years, do we have to change them for some other ones with photos?
Old Sep 18th 2018, 4:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conditional green card.

If by NIE you mean green card, I thought that non-photographic cards were only issued to children and that then they had to be redone at the age of 14. Also believe that non-photographic green cards were no longer issued decades ago and that everyone with one was asked to please obtain the new green card with a photo and embedded security details on it.

I have asked that your post be redirected to a thread of its own as it appears to have nothing to do with being a conditional permanent resident.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 4:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we change NIEs?

Originally Posted by tortis
Hello everybody,

My husband and I have the little green NIEs just for over 2 years, do we have to change them for some other ones with photos?
What is a NIE?
Old Sep 18th 2018, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

This should be posted on the Spain forum.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 7:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wisygreen
This should be posted on the Spain forum.
Why because NIE's are issued to foreign residents in Spain? That explains what they are. Will ask Jerseygirl to transfer to Spain. Wonder why the OP posted this in the USA forums?
Old Sep 18th 2018, 9:07 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Your “little green NIEs”are the documents you get when you register on the list of EU foreigners in Spain. They do not need renewing unless you change your address or marital status.

They do not ever have photos on them. ID cards with photos are only issued to family members of EU holders of the green form.

Officially, the only legal form of ID for UK citizens in Spain is a UK passport, however, a Spanish driving licence is usually acceptable.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Numero identificación de extranjero. It isnt a piece of paper or a card it is just a number..It is written on your green residency card and doesn't change whatever happens to you.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Numero identificación de extranjero. It isnt a piece of paper or a card it is just a number..It is written on your green residency card and doesn't change whatever happens to you.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

I think you mean your tarjeta de residencia which is now just a basic laminated green card with no pic. You don't need to change it unless you have had it 5 years then you just get exactly the same but it states that you now have permanent residency. The Spanish have actual cards with photos which they have to carry at all times. You need to carry a passport of at least a driving licence and your green card at all times.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Stillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond repute

Today I visited the National Police and received an updated NIE certificate. Things to note:
  1. The NIE number remains the same.
  2. A passport type photo is required with the application, but does not appear on the certificate.
  3. The cost is €9.64
  4. No expiry date on the certificate which is an A4 sheet.
My old NIE was issued in 1997. It was a hand written yellow-ish A4 job and did not have an expiry date (although later ones apparently did for a time).
I was advised that I needed an updated version should I decide to change my car (as an example).

I think I've covered everything except for one thing. I assume that a more recently issued certificate (later than my 1997 vintage) is still valid but I'm not sure how recent it needs to be.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

One reason why there seems to be misunderstandings with this comes down to language.. I remember listening to an English person talking to a funcinario and gping on about his N I E. Of course the Spanish official didn't understand this and clearly thought he was talking about some other issue. The Spanish don't prnounce it in terms of letters , and even if they did it would sound different. For Spanish is it " nee a" ( as said in English). So remember to say this when you wish to use it or you will get confused
Old Sep 19th 2018, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Funnily NIE to Spanish translates into gibberish " a there is and". Un hay y.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 12:02 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stillgame
Today I visited the National Police and received an updated NIE certificate. Things to note:
  1. The NIE number remains the same.
  2. A passport type photo is required with the application, but does not appear on the certificate.
  3. The cost is €9.64
  4. No expiry date on the certificate which is an A4 sheet.
My old NIE was issued in 1997. It was a hand written yellow-ish A4 job and did not have an expiry date (although later ones apparently did for a time).
I was advised that I needed an updated version should I decide to change my car (as an example).

I think I've covered everything except for one thing. I assume that a more recently issued certificate (later than my 1997 vintage) is still valid but I'm not sure how recent it needs to be.
Why did you update your NIE certificate? It never needs to be updated - it lasts forever.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 12:03 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
I think you mean your tarjeta de residencia which is now just a basic laminated green card with no pic. You don't need to change it unless you have had it 5 years then you just get exactly the same but it states that you now have permanent residency. The Spanish have actual cards with photos which they have to carry at all times. You need to carry a passport of at least a driving licence and your green card at all times.
A tarjeta de residencia is only for non-EU citizens.

People from the EU simply need to sign on the list of foreigners and get the small, green card.

Many people wrongly call this a residencia
Old Sep 19th 2018, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Yes true. I get confused as it used to be called this but now it seems be titled " certificado....." etc. So it doesn't really have a name although most people will describe as a green card that stipulates that you are legally registered to reside in Spain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.