Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do I need a Spanish bank account?

Do I need a Spanish bank account?

Old Sep 16th 2020, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need a Spanish bank account?

Originally Posted by hedley_01
So, in theory, I could give the address of a friend set up the bank account from the UK and change the address once I am in Spain at my own address?
Yes, but unless you have NIE as a resident, your account will be a non-resident one. You then have to apply for NIE (foreigner's identity number) as a resident to change the account to a resident one.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

hedley_01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Joppa
Yes, but unless you have NIE as a resident, your account will be a non-resident one. You then have to apply for NIE (foreigner's identity number) as a resident to change the account to a resident one.
OK, thanks for all the info! Just one more question if you don't mind.

If I apply for a non-resident account online starting today will this starting point be sufficient for the 3 month period of bank accounts I have to submit for my TIE application? Or do I have to have a resident account for this 3 month period?

Thanks so much again.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

So I could set up a Spanish bank account online before arriving in Spain?
You could but I don't think it would be acceptable for a residency application.......I could be wrong though, as each region seems to have it's own rules. I would be tempted to contact the immigration office in Granada, or a local gestor offering residency services and find out if printed out statements from an online bank would be acceptable. Do verify with others as some gestor's don't know all the new rules.

In our area (Alicante) you require 3 months certified statements from a spanish bank showing usage in Spain. We already have a N26 account with a Spanish IBAN and have used it regularly over the last 9 months but this isn't acceptable as we can't produce certified statements. We've had to open a non resident account locally and are waiting until we can produce 3 months statements, stamped at the bank, showing an average balance of €5,500 and regular use to show that we are living in Spain.

Good luck.

Last edited by bolton wanderer; Sep 16th 2020 at 9:44 am.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

I am British but will be residing in Spain as a student. So I don't even know if I need 3 months worth of banking statements or just funds to show I can support myself for the duration of my studies. Can't find this information online anywhere.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bolton wanderer
You could but I don't think it would be acceptable for a residency application.......I could be wrong though, as each region seems to have it's own rules.

In our area (Alicante) you require 3 months certified statements from a spanish bank showing usage in Spain. We already have a N26 account with a Spanish IBAN and have used it regularly over the last 9 months but this isn't acceptable as we can't produce certified statements. We've had to open a non resident account locally and are waiting until we can produce 3 months statements, stamped at the bank, showing an average balance of €5,500 and regular use to show that we are living in Spain.

Good luck.
Thank you for your reply- that makes sense. But I am a little confused about something. If step 1 of the process is making an appointment, and if step 2 is submitting the documents needed within a 1-month time frame how can I initiate the process at all before 2021 if I need 3 months of Spanish bank accounts?
Old Sep 16th 2020, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

If I apply for a non-resident account online starting today will this starting point be sufficient for the 3 month period of bank accounts I have to submit for my TIE application? Or do I have to have a resident account for this 3 month period?

Thanks so much again.
You have to apply in person to open a non resident account. You will only need your passport, P60 and NI number. It would also help if you had your UK bank statements. You will only need your NIE to arrange your 12 month rental contract. The NIE is not an indication of residency but just a tax number which is issued to non residents.

I would suggest you take a look at the info' in Jim's guides. https://www.costablancaforum.com/are...o-spain-51724/
Although this info is more aimed at Costa Blanca the process for residency will be very similar in all the regions.

When are you looking to move to Spain?
Old Sep 16th 2020, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Is the best course of action to move there before 2021 (my plan was to move Nov 1st), line up all required documents and wait until I have 3 month's of bank statements to even begin stage one? If this means my appointment is made in 2021 is it true that as long as I have lived there before 2021 and have evidence of this then initiating stage one during 2021 asap will ensure my TIE residency permit and I will be protected under the withdrawal agreement?

Thanks again!
Old Sep 16th 2020, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your reply- that makes sense. But I am a little confused about something. If step 1 of the process is making an appointment, and if step 2 is submitting the documents needed within a 1-month time frame how can I initiate the process at all before 2021 if I need 3 months of Spanish bank accounts?
You only need to have submitted your documents before 31st december. Have you got a property in Spain? If not then you'll need a rental contract to show that you're living in Spain and you need to sign on the Padron. I think that you'll need an NIE for the rental contract, if not then you'll be issued with one when you apply for your TIE. i would suggest that you get in touch with a gestor (Spanish para legal) to help you with your application. TBH you have left it a little late.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

You only need to have submitted your documents before 31st december. Have you got a property in Spain? If not then you'll need a rental contract to show that you're living in Spain and you need to sign on the Padron. I think that you'll need an NIE for the rental contract, if not then you'll be issued with one when you apply for your TIE. i would suggest that you get in touch with a gestor (Spanish para legal) to help you with your application. TBH you have left it a little late.
No, I haven't got a property. I am going to study and will find accommodation through the school.

Do the documents submitted include the 3 month bank statements? I will have all documents lined up except for the 3 month bank statements, since will be arriving Nov 1st. My understanding is as long I am there before 2021 I am protected by the withdrawal agreement.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

No, I haven't got a property. I am going to study and will find accommodation through the school.

Do the documents submitted include the 3 month bank statements? I will have all documents lined up except for the 3 month bank statements, since will be arriving Nov 1st. My understanding is as long I am there before 2021 I am protected by the withdrawal agreement.
I'm not sure but they will need to include some certified bank statements showing a "sufficient" balance. We have a similar predicament in that we will also be applying before we have the full 3 months certified statements. It's possible that we will be refused and told to re-submit sufficient statements but this will then be the starting point of our application. Do you have you private health care lined up? This should be done at the last moment as you need the full 12 months cover. You really need to consult an experienced gestor in your area.
Not a recommendation but......
https://granadaimmigration.com/
https://www.getspanishresidency.com/...ish-residency/
https://novatraduccion.com/en/immigr...ish-residency/

and if you feel confident to do it yourself.....https://sede.administracionespublica...t=&nsbt=&dsbt=

As your college is sorting your accommodation, could they also help with your residency application?

Old Sep 16th 2020, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

This may also be useful for you re healthcare as a student. https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/hea...udying-abroad/
Old Sep 16th 2020, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much again.
If you are moving to the Alicante region a non residence account is OK. Its what I have.

However yesterday we went to our solicitors to gather the paperwork for our residency application (first not changing over)
We arrived on the 19th August and due to the 'new' requirements for uk arrivals.
You have to lodge at least 9000 euros in the account and maintain that level for 3 months and you have to use the account for day to day spending. You have to provide 3 months worth of statements printed, signed and stamped by the bank.
So according to the requirements the earliest we can apply for residence is the 19th of November.
If you are not here yet you need to get a move on.

Old Sep 17th 2020, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

inbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond repute

I applied in Barcelona for the first time. Apart from the other documents , all I had to produce was a letter from my bank in Spain (I have a non-resident account with Deutsche Bank)
stating the amount I had in that account .
I had my British bank statements showing my pension going in each month but they did not ask about that. All they wanted was the letter from Deutsche Bank.
I was quite surprised really. I thought I would need to show them...and I was worried that they were only printed from my computer and not stamped by the bank OR translated. But in the end I didn´t need them anyway.

It seems every office does things differently.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

inbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond repute

I guess people could arrive in Spain to live on 31st December. They would still be entitled to live here under Article 50 and 18.4 so I guess they must have appointments available in January, February and March. They would have the right to stay but how would they go about getting their TIE otherwise?
Old Sep 17th 2020, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have you private health care lined up? This should be done at the last moment as you need the full 12 months cover.
From experience most private healthcare schemes follow Jan to Dec so it doesn't matter when you take it out. It will run out 31st Dec. Unless you cancel in Nov it will auto renew.

We have certificates to give to Alicante when we go in Nov (that will be 3 months) which we took out in April and the cert states finish 31,12,20 but says it automatically repeats.