Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do I need to change my headlights to re-register my car in Spain?

Do I need to change my headlights to re-register my car in Spain?

Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:08 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need to change my headlights to re-register my car in Spain?

Originally Posted by Domino
let me run this past you again
car valued in the UK abt £2,500
cost to matriculate £1,750

and the car is then valued, even as a right hand drive, at least double the UK valuation.
therefore effectively neutral, and considering the car I drive is not common on the roads, I am happy with the stares it gets.
and just remember that second hand cars in Spain are way way over priced.
How do you evaluate if (come to the conclusion that) they are overpriced?

Surely, by virtue of the good weather, they are a better bet at being rust free etc.?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by snikpoh

Surely, by virtue of the good weather, they are a better bet at being rust free etc.?
they could be rust free in spain but I bet they have a bump on every panel.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Usually the reason for changing headlamps (and other parts) has nothing to do with performance, but simply whether they have the EU certification stamp on them. We imported a car from outside the EU a long time ago, and had to replace all the lamps and many other parts with identical ones embellishing the EU certification stamp.

Car import workovers are big business - facilitated by EU regs. Normally, the ITV or TÜV measures performance, and doesn't bother to look at whether the EU cert stamp is on the parts, but legally, the lamps (and many other parts) are supposed to have them.
UK headlamps need to be changed as they dip the wrong way for europe , if your car has xenon headlights you may be able to switch them over for euro use.

I also heard the other day that all four tyres now have to match by make and tread pattern as opposed to only requiring the same type on each axel...more expense.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:10 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
UK headlamps need to be changed as they dip the wrong way for europe , if your car has xenon headlights you may be able to switch them over for euro use.

I also heard the other day that all four tyres now have to match by make and tread pattern as opposed to only requiring the same type on each axel...more expense.
thinking about it logically - that could be a reasonable interpretation.
matriculating is presenting the car for acceptance as to the standard it would be if it was a new car arriving in Spain. Obviously all new cars have new tyres. Although everyone knows it isn't New, and has been used, so why wouldn't the tyres perhaps be mismatched.
But then that wouldn't matter at an annual ITV inspection. When at my local ITV I saw a coach breeze thru with almost smooth tyres.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

matriculating is presenting the car for acceptance as to the standard it would be if it was a new car arriving in Spain. Obviously all new cars have new tyres. Although everyone knows it isn't New, and has been used, so why wouldn't the tyres perhaps be mismatched.
But then that wouldn't matter at an annual ITV inspection. When at my local ITV I saw a coach breeze thru with almost smooth tyres.
I got this from an expat who has a Spanish registered car , he was well fed up as he only needed one tyre but ended up buying four !!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 1:22 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Our ITV centre is well known for failing cars with mismatched tyres - even though they were the same on each axle. A friend of mine questioned this and quoted the rules in UK - simple answer "it's different in Spain".
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

"When at my local ITV I saw a coach breeze thru with almost smooth tyres"- perhaps the tester was a relative?
Old Sep 4th 2013, 6:24 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

if your car has xenon headlights you may be able to switch them over for euro use
That is a bit of an open statement, which may need clarifying.
I think this is right; If the headlights can be moved for continental touring then the beam shape could well be wrong to pass an ITV as the beam still needs to shine higher on the kerbside and not be flat, as some of these systems work. Also if xenon headlights are an after market kit then you will not be able to change them for continental touring like OEM equipment.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 6:28 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

The days of cars rusting are long gone.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
That is a bit of an open statement, which may need clarifying.
I think this is right; If the headlights can be moved for continental touring then the beam shape could well be wrong to pass an ITV as the beam still needs to shine higher on the kerbside and not be flat, as some of these systems work. Also if xenon headlights are an after market kit then you will not be able to change them for continental touring like OEM equipment.
Please read my post again ,I said "may" not "will" .

From experience Ive done this with an L322 Range Rover and it passed the ITV.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 1:40 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

I did read what you said, but it needed full clarification.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

mikeglover is an unknown quantity at this point

It used to be the joke that the itv station in Jumilla was of the opinion that if a car managed the journey to the testing station, it must be roadworthy and therefore a cert was issued. Unless it is first reg or change from uk to spanish plates, then it was very thorough
Old Sep 5th 2013, 7:58 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeglover
It used to be the joke that the itv station in Jumilla was of the opinion that if a car managed the journey to the testing station, it must be roadworthy and therefore a cert was issued. Unless it is first reg or change from uk to spanish plates, then it was very thorough
not wishing to denigrate ITV stations but my manufacturer's local dealer more or less asked why the car had been taken to X - they are known for miles around as being TOUGH, whilst Y is known to be a pushover.

as I had originally used the same small local company that the BH had used for her car, who spoke English, I had perhaps fallen into a trap. But at the end of the day they ceased trading so I had to pick up the pieces and take it all onboard myself.
and I came out with the pass doc, which I took to Hacienda and insisted they help me, which the grudgingly did, although they weren't totally honest about the payment procedure until La Caixa picked me and them up.
then took all the docs to Trafico to have the car registered as matriculated.
After all that walking across the road from Trafico to the Tabac to get the plates made up was a doddle.

you really have to do all these things for yourself to appreciate the rigmarole that is involved.
the worst part is that every step of the way each govt organisation uses a different computer system, each involves re-entering the same information in a different order and asking similar questions. That is what takes the time.

`