Do I move before? or after?

Do I move before? or after?

Old Feb 28th 2018, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Silverspyder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I move before? or after?

Hi all

I'm just looking for a little advice!
I have decided to move to Tenerife but I was wondering if I should rush to live there before brexit or take my time and move there in July 2019 when I would have more time to save and sort things here in the UK?

Any advice gratefully received
Old Feb 28th 2018, 7:39 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I move before? or after?

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 28th 2018, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverspyder
Hi all

I have decided to move to Tenerife but I was wondering if I should rush to live there before brexit or take my time and move there in July 2019 when I would have more time to save and sort things here in the UK?

Hi,

Can I ask if you are of pensionable age and will you be coming alone, retired or looking for work?

All could make a difference to the replies you might get.

Steve
Old Feb 28th 2018, 7:44 am
Just Joined

I am 51 and will be living on my own
Looking for work but have friends there who can employ me!
Old Feb 28th 2018, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

I am 51 and will be living on my own
Looking for work but have friends there who can employ me!
There are many rules and regulations you have to adhere to when you come to live here in Spain.

At 51 years old you will need private healthcare unless your friends give you a contract of work which will give you access to the Spanish healthcare system.

You will need to sign on the foreigners register after living in Spain for 90 days and obtain a NIE number. At that point you will need to prove to the authorities that you have full healthcare cover for yourself and prove you have a regular income which is sufficient to satisfy the authorities you will not become a burden on the state.

After 180 days you will be become a tax residents and are required to pay taxes to the Spanish tax man. You will also around that time be required to fill in Modelo 720 which requires you to declare your total worldwide wealth including amounts in bank accounts and any property ownership in any country.

If you come before Brexit you will need to be fully legal in Spain before Brexit day in March 2019. What will happen after March 2019 is anybody's guess.

There are no unemployment benefits in Spain like there are in the UK and it can be very difficult finding employment at the moment. Many employees are required to speak fluent Spanish and/or another language. If you can rely on your friends give you a permanent position then "go for it"

Best of luck.

Steve
Old Feb 28th 2018, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

I have decided to move to Tenerife but I was wondering if I should rush to live there before brexit

As has been said and quite often on similar threads there are procedures that must be followed. I would have said in the past should be followed, but of course with agreements so far agreed re Brexit to benefit later in retirement from the free healthcare one must be fully legal prior to Brexit. The main thing is do not rush anything, you can become resident before Brexit without rushing if that is what you decide. Although the Spanish rules are after 90 days in Spain if continuing to stay you should sign the foreigners register which is simply the same as obtaining residency, but not the same as tax residency two different things and time scales. However you do not have to wait untill you have been in Spain 90 days to sign on the register/obtain residency, if your intention is to stay over 90 days you can do this on day 1. It really all comes down to what you want to do and achieve, but as I say don't rush or be panicked into something you may regret, ask the questions get as much information as you can and come to a reasoned calculated decision.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Great advice thank You!
It doesn't sound like brexit is going to make too much difference to me then, if I come before or after.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Great advice thank You!
It doesn't sound like brexit is going to make too much difference to me then, if I come before or after.

Who said that in this thread? IF YOU CAN, the 'known' is that prior to Brexit date you are allowed free movement throughout the EEC, are European so can apply for 'Residencia' (allowed to stay over 90 days) providing you comply with healthcare and income requirements. You cannot be turned away if you comply. Safe bet.

After Brexit (at the moment) is full of UNKNOWNS, talk, yes, proposals, yes
but generally unknowns at this moment none the less. As already said, 'Anybodys guess.' At this moment, NOT a 100% safe bet.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 4:09 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I would start looking now and rent / buy when you find something you like. I doubt Brexit per se will make any difference, to your ability to relocate. Those relocating from outside EU have no issue at present, so why would you?
I would be more concerned that price to buy will increase dramatically. I anticipate the £ will plummet in value when the impact hits UK exports to EU shortly thereafter.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I doubt Brexit per se will make any difference, to your ability to relocate. Those relocating from outside EU have no issue at present, so why would you?
If non EU citizens don't have the right to move to Spain and look for work, that might make quite a difference... How difficult is it for Spanish employers to get permission to employ non EU citizens?
Old Mar 1st 2018, 9:00 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
If non EU citizens don't have the right to move to Spain and look for work, that might make quite a difference... How difficult is it for Spanish employers to get permission to employ non EU citizens?
OP did mention she had friends who could offer her employment

I am not an employer, however I do know several non EU nationals who are gainfully employed. So, presumably it can't be that difficult?
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 7:15 am
Just Joined

My friend did say that she knew of many none EU residents that live and work in Tenerife with no problems at all

I'm just so scared I'll miss my window of opportunity, but the extra time would allow me to be better prepared and save more!
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I think before or after really depends upon what your aims/needs are. I.e post brexit if state pension age good probability they will end S1_re health care for pensioners, if you are resident pre brexit from what has been said you would get the s1 at state pension age. Moving pre Brexit you will also be able to keep the freedom of movement within rest if EU. Work wise most probably little difference? Only you can decide the impact these changes make to your long term plan. Things could also change again post brexit, who knows? But i reiterate research and plan latter not easy i know with the way they are dealing with brexit but plan and prepare not rush.

Last edited by bobd22; Mar 2nd 2018 at 9:38 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I think before or after really depends upon what your aims/needs are. I.e post brexit if state pension age good probability they will end S1_re health care for pensioners, if you are resident pre brexit from what has been said you would get the s1 at state pension age. Moving pre Brexit you will also be able to keep the freedom of movement within rest if EU. Work wise most probably little difference? Only you can decide the impact these changes make to your long term plan. Things could also change again post brexit, who knows? But i reiterate research and plan latter not easy i know with the way they are dealing with brexit but plan and prepare not rush.
That is one area that definitely has not been "finalised" in preliminary discussions between the UK and the 27. The current state of discussion implies you will be locked in to the country you move to and while you can enjoy S1 benefits and index-linking of pension etc the implication is that if you move to another country after Brexit ( e.g Spain to Portugal ) you will loose the UK benefits. I think the official jargon currently is "Passporting Rights are yet to be agreed".
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
That is one area that definitely has not been "finalised" in preliminary discussions between the UK and the 27. The current state of discussion implies you will be locked in to the country you move to and while you can enjoy S1 benefits and index-linking of pension etc the implication is that if you move to another country after Brexit ( e.g Spain to Portugal ) you will loose the UK benefits. I think the official jargon currently is "Passporting Rights are yet to be agreed".
You are no doubt correct re this, there is so much said by our great government and changed. Either way really that is why i suggest the OP does not rush their plans but makes a considered judgement on how they may or will be affected.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.