Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do I have to update my residencia?

Do I have to update my residencia?

Old Dec 20th 2020, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I have to update my residencia?

The TIE card does show on it what the expiry date is . As for advantages and disadvantages only real disadvantage in my case is I could go through process now and then have to go back through it in just over 2 1/2 years or wait and just go through it once in 2 1/2 years and change my green card for permanent TIE which lasts 10 years. That's what the system currently allows and my choice. The original question though wasn't about advantages or disadvantages but whether if one was already registered with green card you had to change and register for a TIE, the answer is no but you can if you want to. How that advantages or disadvantages an individual is down to the individual. It is not a right versus wrong thing in my view.
Old Dec 20th 2020, 7:35 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I am not getting the TIE until I have 5 years under my belt and I will have permanent residency. A colleague who recently got the card has the wrong reason for being granted( spouse of EU member) plus its dated from 2020 which makes it look like he has only recently been granted residency whereas he has been here 3 years
It's got an expiry date on the front and a date of issue on the back, but there's no "resident since" date anywhere on it. I've been here for over two decades but my date of issue is still 2020.

Perhaps if the expiry date is less than five years from the date of issue someone might decide to draw their own conclusions when looking at the card, but they might equally be wrong. It doesn't matter anyway, the card is valid and that's all they need to know. The police and civil servants get more info like the date when you started residency when they swipe the card.

Last edited by DLC; Dec 20th 2020 at 7:38 am.
Old Dec 26th 2020, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

There have already been issues through airport staff not knowing that green residency cards are acceptable it would seem. This has come about due to covid restrictions allowing only residents of Spain to travel. The authorities now say the matter has been resolved but that's of no use to those with green cards being refused to fly. Mind reading some of the replies it would seem some had photocopies of green cards not originals or indeed some had just had white NIE sheets which obviously are not residency.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...composer=false
Old Dec 26th 2020, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

This from British Embassy Madrid -

'Travel update* We were sorry to hear from some of you that your green residency card had not been accepted as proof of residency to return to Spain. We wanted to update you that the Spanish authorities have very helpfully this morning confirmed with Iberia that the green credit card-sized residency document is valid to enter Spain as a resident, so the problem should now be resolved.'
Old Dec 26th 2020, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes that's the link I put on. What I find unbelievable reading the comments on the thread is given end of transition within days people travelling with copies of the green card.
Old Dec 26th 2020, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Yes that's the link I put on. What I find unbelievable reading the comments on the thread is given end of transition within days people travelling with copies of the green card.
I should imagine people will still present themselves in EU channels when arriving as there are a large number of people who simply think Brexit is an abstract thing which has nothing to do with them. Expect all kinds of stories on the next few months
Old Dec 26th 2020, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies bobd22 - I was obviously not awake!

Some also trying to travel with just NIE probably thinking it is a residencia. (Some people have just NIE having not gone through the whole process or are non residents)
Old Dec 26th 2020, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spainrico
Some also trying to travel with just NIE probably thinking it is a residencia. (Some people have just NIE having not gone through the whole process or are non residents)
That was what I thought as well. One complained that they had green card but the airline demanded photographic ID which has always been the case. Interesting the mention on the comments re tax authorities and that people need to have informed uk they are tax resident in Spain. I'm not sure that information would be available to airlines? Interesting point going forward from end of transition though.

Last edited by Rosemary; Dec 26th 2020 at 9:20 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 7:26 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Britons living in Spain barred from Madrid flight in post-Brexit travel row

I guess it'd be better to print out that letter that Spain has drawn up if you're flying with a green certificate/card.

http://www.inclusion.gob.es/ficheros...ertificate.pdf

And this is the link they give in the PDF in both languages:

http://www.inclusion.gob.es/en/brexi...idir/index.htm

http://www.inclusion.gob.es/es/brexi...idir/index.htm

Last edited by DLC; Jan 2nd 2021 at 7:47 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Britons living in Spain barred from Madrid flight in post-Brexit travel row | Politics | The Guardian

I wonder how the tabloid press is reporting this story. Has the "Sun" suggested we declare war ?
Old Jan 30th 2021, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Rather than open a new thread. As I am now hopefully going to exchange my green residencia for TIE could someone who has successfully done the exchange give me some advise re the completion of the EX23. One bit is a little confusing as to which box to tick for the exchange. It is in section 4 of the EX23, 4)
DATOS RELATIVOS A LA SOLICITUD (7)
4.1 TIPO DE DOCUMENTO
□ TARJETA INICIAL
□ RENOVACIÓN DE TARJETA □ DUPLICADO POR ROBO, EXTRAVÍO, DESTRUCCIÓN O INUTILIZACIÓN
Should I tick Tarjeta Inicial or Renovación De Tarjeta?
The CAB guide says Renovación but another quide says Inicial. Confusión is yes it's an initial card but it is an exchange of different card.
Anyone's actual experience would be much appreciated thanks

Old Jan 31st 2021, 3:03 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

I ticked Tarjeta inicial in 4.1 and Residencia con certificado in 4.2, i.e. it is my first TIE, and my current situation is residency with a green certificate. Worked for me.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DLC
I ticked Tarjeta inicial in 4.1 and Residencia con certificado in 4.2, i.e. it is my first TIE, and my current situation is residency with a green certificate. Worked for me.
Thanks for responding much appreciated