Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do I have to update my residencia?

Do I have to update my residencia?

Old Dec 18th 2020, 7:17 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I have to update my residencia?

Given that British citizens will be turned away from the EU's borders from the 1st of January due to Covid unless they can prove they are residents, I would be far happier crossing the border with a TIE than with a scratty piece of green A4 paper or even a utility bill.

To be honest I think the A4 certificate would be pushing it in any other EU country and your Endesa bill would be met with bemusement even at Spain's border. I'm pretty sure there's no way a passport + electricity bill would be accepted at the UK's borders instead of a passport + visa.

Last edited by DLC; Dec 18th 2020 at 7:25 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
Given that British citizens will be turned away from the EU's borders from the 1st of January due to Covid unless they can prove they are residents, I would be far happier crossing the border with a TIE than with a scratty piece of green A4 paper or even a utility bill.
Your point about a s ratty piece of green paper. That is the same scrappy bit of paper that all other EU citizens resident in Spain have? It's legal as has been said. As for electrical bills etc yes on their own they show nothing.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 9:05 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Your point about a s ratty piece of green paper. That is the same scrappy bit of paper that all other EU citizens resident in Spain have? It's legal as has been said. As for electrical bills etc yes on their own they show nothing.
However other EU citizens resident in Spain have their own EU country ID card or passport so don't really need to show any other supporting evidence that they have residency or not when arriving at the border of another EU country because by definition they have freedom of movement anyway.

Our free pass runs out in January. We will need to show residency due to the Covid restrictions.

Last edited by DLC; Dec 18th 2020 at 9:07 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
However other EU citizens resident in Spain have their own EU country ID card or passport so don't really need to show any other supporting evidence that they have residency or not when arriving at the border of another EU country. Our free pass runs out in January. We need to show residency.
I get that but the green card shows residency.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 9:10 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

I get that but the green card shows residency.
It does in Spain, but if I were to travel in the EU but outside of Spain then I would not be so confident of it being recognised. It might well be but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DLC
It does in Spain, but if I were to travel in the EU but outside of Spain then I would not be so confident of it being recognised. It might well be but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way.
I accept your view that you may not be confident and prefer to have the TIE and I would guess that would more than likely speed up entry to other Shengen countries, as it can simply be scanned versus physical check of a green residency card and passport. I am sure that Shengen countries bordering Spain will already be very familiar with the Spanish Green residency card. However its really EU law that applies and Spain has said it accepts the green card already issued as proof of residency. Spain has had to ensure that complies with EU law. Time will tell as we are very near the point of finding out. However it still applies that it is a matter of choice if one is already resident with a green card / paper whether to change to TIE or not, which was initial question.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

'As for electrical bills etc yes on their own they show nothing.'

Yes, I agree I think the UK has this obsession with utility bills as ID as they don't have another ID system (an ID card was trialled in the UK some years ago but needless to say abandoned) but cannot see that doing much good within Spain.
Old Dec 19th 2020, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spainrico
'As for electrical bills etc yes on their own they show nothing.'

Yes, I agree I think the UK has this obsession with utility bills as ID as they don't have another ID system (an ID card was trialled in the UK some years ago but needless to say abandoned) but cannot see that doing much good within Spain.
Yes very true, was it not under the Blair Government that they spoke of bringing in a National ID card? I vaguely remember it being said to infringe civil liberties etc. I carried ID just about all my working life in military and police and I neither found it an issue or infringing my liberties if asked to produce it. As you say a UK National ID card would be of little use outside the UK. Only say an EU ID card would be of any use, I can imagine the outcry if such a thing was ever suggested.
Old Dec 19th 2020, 5:11 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

When the UK ID card was proposed, over 90% of the population approved the idea. When they were told it was going to cost something like £100 they suddenly (how surprising) went off the idea. In Spain it costs €10. I have just paid £105 to renew my passport (+postage). In Spain it’s €20.

it had nothing to do with “Civil Liberties “.
Old Dec 19th 2020, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm sure cost was a major factor for most but I have found a link from back then that does mention civil liberties, which as I said I do remember being brought up at the time.
BBC NEWS | UK | Politics | ID cards will 'infringe civil liberties'
Not really relevant to current debate mind
Old Dec 19th 2020, 7:43 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

I found this which explains the reasons behind why the A4 certificate/card is being replaced with a TIE:

https://www.politico.eu/article/brit...dence-documen/

As well as that, the Spanish government Brexit FAQ specifically mentions border crossings, which is the thing that made me make my mind up a few months ago.
Old Dec 19th 2020, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
I found this which explains the reasons behind why the A4 certificate/card is being replaced with a TIE:

https://www.politico.eu/article/brit...dence-documen/

As well as that, the Spanish government Brexit FAQ specifically mentions border crossings, which is the thing that made me make my mind up a few months ago.

I am not getting the TIE until I have 5 years under my belt and I will have permanent residency. A colleague who recently got the card has the wrong reason for being granted( spouse of EU member) plus its dated from 2020 which makes it look like he has only recently been granted residency whereas he has been here 3 years
Old Dec 19th 2020, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I am not getting the TIE until I have 5 years under my belt and I will have permanent residency.
I am planning to do exactly the same unless there is a change of system before I reach the 5 year point. I understand that border crossing probably will be quicker if one has a biometric card but will still be allowed with the old card. It will also still be possible for UK citizens to travel to Shengen countries so long as they comply with passport date rules etc same with a green card so I can't see the issue versus status now really. Even with a TIE people are still British with British not Spanish passport unless they change citizenship. We don't have long now to see how this works out and what issues actually come up. As always everyone will have different situations to affect their decision making .
Old Dec 19th 2020, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

I am planning to do exactly the same unless there is a change of system before I reach the 5 year point. I understand that border crossing probably will be quicker if one has a biometric card but will still be allowed with the old card. It will also still be possible for UK citizens to travel to Shengen countries so long as they comply with passport date rules etc same with a green card so I can't see the issue versus status now really. Even with a TIE people are still British with British not Spanish passport unless they change citizenship. We don't have long now to see how this works out and what issues actually come up. As always everyone will have different situations to affect their decision making .

I agree in that there do seem to be people who talk as though having the TIE makes them some how different from other residents. As far as we know TIE folk will not receive preferential treatment when travelling. They will still enter in 3rd country lanes and will require to show passports. If you really want preferential treatment you will need to pass the exams and get a Spanish passport
Old Dec 20th 2020, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

The wording anomaly was a brief administrative error which is well know about and procedures are being put in place for it's correction.

The issue date of 2020 neither means nor implies that that will be assumed to be the date of first acquiring residence, I don't know what date anybody would expect on a card other than that on which it was issued?

Neither are valid reasons for not getting a TIE and with the sole exception of it being subject to periodic renewal (no different to a driving licence), I challenge anyone to describe one single legitimate disadvantage of the TIE over the green residencia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.