Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do I HAVE to pay 2 months deposit upfront?

Do I HAVE to pay 2 months deposit upfront?

Old Apr 29th 2006, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Negada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really nice
Default Do I HAVE to pay 2 months deposit upfront?

Hello people,

I've been informed by a estate agent/letting agent in Spain that I will have to pay 2 months deposit as well as one months rent upfront plus 200 Euros for "contract costs" if I wish to rent a property for several months. Is this a legal requisite of Spanish law or is this just flannel? Thanks for any advice.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

David will become famous soon enoughDavid will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do I HAVE to pay 2 months deposit upfront?

It seems a bit on the steep side to me. I have a friend of mine who does lettings in the Costa de la Luz and the usual procedure he tells me is: One month deposit, one month up-front (ie. you don't pay the last month). His fee for contracts etc. is one months rental, paid by the owner of the property NOT the person renting it.

My advice is look around, the same property will probably be advertised by several agents.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Amara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really nice

We have just rented a property in El Puerto through a local agent - it cost us one month rent up front, one month deposit, and a month commission for the agent plus VAT???? This is through a Spanish agent and seems to be common practice. Look around though because there are English agents and some others who do not charge commission. Where are you looking to rent?
Old Apr 30th 2006, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

If you saw the state in which some tenants leave their rented accommodation you would understand why landlords require such a substantial deposit.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 2:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Finders fee is just a con, its usually your months rent in advance plus a months in hand to cover costs of damage repairs and cleaning if needed when you leave. You will find it very hard to get your full deposit back.
Get an agent that doesnt charge a finders fee.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Negada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really nice

Hello - Thanks for your helpful comments, guys. According to the website www.abogado.com there should be a deposit (fianza) equal to one month rent paid upon signature of the rental contract. It also states that on no account must the landlord ask for more than one month rent to be paid in advance. Hmmm....will take a copy of this with me to show the agent as I will be viewing rental properties next week in the Javea area.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 2:41 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inquieto
Hello - Thanks for your helpful comments, guys. According to the website www.abogado.com there should be a deposit (fianza) equal to one month rent paid upon signature of the rental contract. It also states that on no account must the landlord ask for more than one month rent to be paid in advance. Hmmm....will take a copy of this with me to show the agent as I will be viewing rental properties next week in the Javea area.
That says "more than 1 months rent in advance" it does not say anything about the finders fee they try to con off you.
Tell them you have other agencies that dont charge and you will use them.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 8:06 am
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
That says "more than 1 months rent in advance" it does not say anything about the finders fee they try to con off you.
Tell them you have other agencies that dont charge and you will use them.
This brings up another question, registering for utilities, telephone DSL TV obviously you setup your self but what about water and electricity, is it paid by the landlord on your behalf and you settle up once a year or do you register your self.

We're moving to Madrid in September, we've found a nice place to live it's know opening the bank account setting up TV etc etc. Its going to be a pain as neither the wife nor myself speak any Spanish (yet).

Last edited by tim hortons man; Jul 10th 2006 at 9:02 am.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Amara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really nice

We get a bill every two months and they deduct it directly from our bank account shortly after. The account is in our Landlords name with our details on the bill too. I don't know if this is the way everyone else does it. This is set up through the Inmobiliaria we rent our house through.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:54 am
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

The norm is 1 months rent up front and one months rent equivalent as a holding deposit refundable when you move out providing everything is in order.

Electric every 2 months payable to the Landlord once you receive the bill.

It is usual for the Landlord to pay the water rates and community charges.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 11:51 am
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Originally Posted by BritBull
The norm is 1 months rent up front and one months rent equivalent as a holding deposit refundable when you move out providing everything is in order.

Electric every 2 months payable to the Landlord once you receive the bill.

It is usual for the Landlord to pay the water rates and community charges.
Thanks that helps alot, I'm surprised the tennant doesn't pay the water charges, our place has central heating so I'm assuming its the same, pay the landlord monthly and settle the bill at the end of the year.

the estate agent told us to think in terms of 3 months rent, 1st months rent, 1 month for deposit and 1month for thier fee. Over all its quite reasonable. In Germany its normal to pay upto 3months deposit (put in a special bank account) plus 2 months fee for the estate agent if you use on.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

Having seen what I have seen in my area, if someone wanted to rent my apartment long term, Id need minimum 2 months up front plus deposit. Although with what i have seen, im sticking to short term.

I dont know how people think they can live rent free here! then when they do finally get thrown out, they have the cheek to find somewhere else on the same urbanisation and still walk around with their D&G bags, gucci etc...how about paying your rent!

I just dont know how these people do it!

ps...im not saying all tenants are the same.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
Thanks that helps alot, I'm surprised the tennant doesn't pay the water charges, our place has central heating so I'm assuming its the same, pay the landlord monthly and settle the bill at the end of the year.
Main reason is that it's easier for a landlord to kick out a tenant if they retain all utility bills in their own name. No one in their right mind would give a tenant title of utilities as aside from not being able to cut them off, there is a legal precedent to the rights of the titular remaining in the accomodation.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

I do

Best
Loco

BTW For the avoidance of doubt I am not one of them!

Originally Posted by j0197
I just dont know how these people do it!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

ant_samaran is an unknown quantity at this point

The law in Spain says that never more than a month deposit should be paid when renting a home.

To ask for more is actually illegal.

Regards,

Antonio.