Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do Builders charge for estimates ?

Do Builders charge for estimates ?

Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Builders charge for estimates ?

Originally Posted by Lochy
I've decided to change my career, I'm going to be a professional quoter. I reckon I could give 10 or 12 quotes a day, charge 50 euros a shot. Building work, plumbing, wouldn't really matter as I'd be too busy giving quotes to accept any of the work. Should be a nice little earner. And I'd never actually have to do any of the work.
Dont forget all that paper and ink though ;-) ;-)
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:26 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Best make it 55 euros.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:02 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lochy
I've decided to change my career, I'm going to be a professional quoter. I reckon I could give 10 or 12 quotes a day, charge 50 euros a shot. Building work, plumbing, wouldn't really matter as I'd be too busy giving quotes to accept any of the work. Should be a nice little earner. And I'd never actually have to do any of the work.
Damn ... why didn't I think of that
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:15 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I did a quote once when I thought .... "I really don't fancy this job". So I doubled the price, and they took me up on it. Then I was worrying ... "will I get paid at the end of all this"
No wonder you can retire to Spain
Old Jun 21st 2007, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

spaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ambre Solaire
We are interested in a property and after having it surveyed, find that it needs some work doing. I have been advised by the estate agent that they can obtain a quote for the work, but the builder will want 50 Euros, "as there is no guarantee that he would get the job"

As we do not speak Spanish, language is a problem and hence the agent wants 20 Eu per hour to translate the pages of English to Spanish to enable the builder to do his quote, pay him 50 EU for doing the quote and then 20 Eu per hour for them to translate Spanish into English for us.

Is this the norm !
No this is not the norm in Spain, you are being conned.

BTW, where are you in Spain exactly?
Old Jun 24th 2007, 12:18 am
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Just read this thread through and i reckon keith walters is right ..

I would charge also , or you could be driving around all day , using fuel , and losing work time , to then spend hours costing the job , to then have them have a ready quote to show to other builders and say "If you can beat this you can have the job" assuming they even do buy the property anyways ?

So keith is right ..

If he owned the property then fair enough , but nope wouldnt get me out of bed for free
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

David will become famous soon enoughDavid will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Just read this thread through and i reckon keith walters is right ..

I would charge also , or you could be driving around all day , using fuel , and losing work time , to then spend hours costing the job , to then have them have a ready quote to show to other builders and say "If you can beat this you can have the job" assuming they even do buy the property anyways ?

So keith is right ..

If he owned the property then fair enough , but nope wouldnt get me out of bed for free
Hello Big Pete,

I disagree, there should be no charge for quoting jobs and here's why. Every business has to have their doors open if they expect to have any customers walking in. In the case of estate agents they show houses to potential buyers, they may have to show the same property to many potential buyers before they make a sale. The restaurant has to buy in food and prepare it in the hope of selling it before it goes off.

It's no different for us in the building trade. We may have to do several quotes before we have one that's accepted but it's all part of keeping the doors open.

No Quotes = No work

Last edited by David; Jun 24th 2007 at 10:17 am.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:27 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David
Hello Big Pete,

I disagree, there should be no charge for quoting jobs and here's why. Every business has to have their doors open if they expect to have any customers walking in. In the case of estate agents they show houses to potential buyers, they may have to show the same property to many potential buyers before they make a sale. The restaurant has to buy in food and prepare it in the hope of selling it before it goes off.

It's no different for us in the building trade. We may have to do several quotes before we have one that's accepted but it's all part of keeping the doors open.

No Quotes = No work
True, but this doesn´t really address the point being made.

If 20 random people came to you and asked for a quote, would you do those 20 quotes regardless of who they were, whether you liked the sound of the job or not, their situation and whether you thought you might actually get the job?

Maybe you would, but I wouldn´t. Given that a quote in my old line of work would consume perhaps 4 hours of my time I would pick and choose who I quoted for the jobs. If I thought the job sounded dull or not very profitable it got binned. If I thought I was unlikely to get the job for some reason it also got binned. Too far away? also binned. I had many reasons for binning requests for a quote.

The "hot" clients (and I dont mean sexy females. Or maybe I do?) would always get free quotes and PDQ. The borderline "bin" clients in retrospect I wish I had suggested the refundable deposit....25 GBP would have been enough. If they weren´t serious they wouldn´t pay it and then we have both saved time. And considering that they were borderline in the bin anyway I wouldn´t have cared if they´d turned out to be genuine but gone to one of my competitors.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

David will become famous soon enoughDavid will become famous soon enough

Hello Keith,

Excellent reply. Isn't it hot in Jerez today!

There are and will always be jobs that are a waste of time quoting for. Every builder has a criteria of what type of work they are willing to do, be it the job's too large or the job's too small, or the job's too far away, etc.

The point I was trying to make is that you should not charge for a quote when the job is within your chosen criteria. Offering a refund if the quote is accepted is like charging an entrance fee to a shop and then refund the entrance fee if you buy something. In many cases the client simply doesn't know if the job is feasible or not and charging for the quote is a sure way to send them running to the competition.

I don't mind viewing jobs that are within my defined area, and then assessing as whether I can or can't give a free quote.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

A quote from a good builder should read like a mini survey,and to pay a refundable deposit of $50 is a bargain.once you have purchased the quote it is quite reasonable to show it to other builders to see if they can make changes that could save you money.If you want a speculative price for works to be done always ask for an estimate this is much quicker to prepare and should be foc.It's good manners to go back to your builder after others have seen the quote and give him the chance to requote on any amendments you have made.After having read the thread I think a few have not understood that a quote and an estimate are two different things

Last edited by davidinspain; Jun 24th 2007 at 11:15 am.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:32 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
A quote from a good builder should read like a mini survey,and to pay a refundable deposit of $50 is a bargain.once you have purchased the quote it is quite reasonable to show it to other builders to see if they can make changes that could save you money.If you want a speculative price for works to be done always ask for an estimate this is much quicker to prepare and should be foc.It's good manners to go back to your builder after others have seen the quote and give him the chance to requote on any amendments you have made.After having read the thread I think a few have not understood that a quote and an estimate are two different things
ah yes, we have all got it wrong.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Not all.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:55 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
I think we are talking self employed tradesmen here not Henry McAlpine that employ estimators and quantity surveyors etc and are all added into the prices.
I could always look at a job and get it within a few quid just by experience and knowledge of what I did on other jobs.
It is very bad etiquette to show the estimates or quotes to other builders as it is obvious they will beat the price if they are short of work or can see a way to cut corners and get the job, keep them to yourself.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 12:02 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I think we are talking self employed tradesmen here not Henry McAlpine that employ estimators and quantity surveyors etc and are all added into the prices.
I could always look at a job and get it within a few quid just by experience and knowledge of what I did on other jobs.
It is very bad etiquette to show the estimates or quotes to other builders as it is obvious they will beat the price if they are short of work or can see a way to cut corners and get the job, keep them to yourself.
I totally agree, if a client showed another trade my quote they are doing it for one reason and one reason alone. To get a cheaper quote.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 12:08 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David
Hello Keith,

Excellent reply. Isn't it hot in Jerez today!

There are and will always be jobs that are a waste of time quoting for. Every builder has a criteria of what type of work they are willing to do, be it the job's too large or the job's too small, or the job's too far away, etc.

The point I was trying to make is that you should not charge for a quote when the job is within your chosen criteria. Offering a refund if the quote is accepted is like charging an entrance fee to a shop and then refund the entrance fee if you buy something. In many cases the client simply doesn't know if the job is feasible or not and charging for the quote is a sure way to send them running to the competition.

I don't mind viewing jobs that are within my defined area, and then assessing as whether I can or can't give a free quote.
Exactly. And reading between the lines of the original poster, I am guessing that she falls outside of the builders "chosen criteria" given that she doesn´t own the house for which she has requested the quote. At least in my book that would mean she wasn´t a desirable client (again, no reference to sexiness intended!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.