DNI versus NIE

Old Oct 24th 2010, 1:16 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Question DNI versus NIE

Another good one for Spanish bureaucracy.

A friend of mine (English) rode his bike over and now wants to matriculate it. (BTW, he's only lived in Spain for 2 years.)

He went to a solicitor who pointed out that whilst he had an NIE (needed to buy their house last year), and whilst he was on the padron, he hadn't actually 'registered'.

I pointed out that this may be to do with the foreign register and, sure enough, they don't have the green A4 sheet.

The abogado filled in the necessary forms for him, he went down to the police station and have paid his 10euros. He has now been back 3 times but they have always been too busy to pick up the final 'document'.

I was shown the paperwork today, and the abogado has written down what he should ask for in both English and Spanish - and he is going to get a DNI CARD!!!!!!

I queried this with him and he confirmed that the police official confirmed that once he paid his 10euros, he would get an ID Card.

So, what the hell is going on when foreign nationals can get a DNI (ID cards)?

Doe NIE still stand for Número de Identidad/Identificación de Extranjero (i.e. foreigner/visitor)?

And does DNI mean Documento Nacional de Identidad (for Spanish citizens)?

Last edited by snikpoh; Oct 24th 2010 at 1:23 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of
Default Re: DNI versus NIE

[QUOTE=snikpoh;8939054]Another good one for Spanish bureaucracy.

A friend of mine (English) rode his bike over and now wants to matriculate it. (BTW, he's only lived in Spain for 2 years.)

He went to a solicitor who pointed out that whilst he had an NIE (needed to buy their house last year), and whilst he was on the padron, he hadn't actually 'registered'.

I pointed out that this may be to do with the foreign register and, sure enough, they don't have the green A4 sheet.

The abogado filled in the necessary forms for him, he went down to the police station and have paid his 10euros. He has now been back 3 times but they have always been too busy to pick up the final 'document'.

NIE is the foreigner's identity card except that they no longer give you a card only a stupid piece of paper so many people have it down sized, stick a photo on it and plasticized and carry it with them and leave the A4 at home.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 2:17 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair

NIE is the foreigner's identity card except that they no longer give you a card only a stupid piece of paper so many people have it down sized, stick a photo on it and plasticized and carry it with them and leave the A4 at home.
yes, that's what snikpoh is confused about - he knows it's supposed to be an A4 piece of paper

guess we'll just have to wait & see what his friend actually gets
Old Oct 24th 2010, 2:23 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Another good one for Spanish bureaucracy.

I was shown the paperwork today, and the abogado has written down what he should ask for in both English and Spanish - and he is going to get a DNI CARD!!!!!!

I queried this with him and he confirmed that the police official confirmed that once he paid his 10euros, he would get an ID Card.

So, what the hell is going on when foreign nationals can get a DNI (ID cards)?

Doe NIE still stand for Número de Identidad/Identificación de Extranjero (i.e. foreigner/visitor)?

And does DNI mean Documento Nacional de Identidad (for Spanish citizens)?

It is a strange situation, I have never heard of a British citizen actually getting a DNI card.....

There could be a possible explanation in that the rules for obtaining one heave changed.

I heard a rumour quite a while back, that a foreign national could get a DNI if they met certain requirements.

There was quite a long list, but a couple of things that stuck in my mind were that to qualify, the person in question would have to fill in a questionaire of 100 facts about the life and times of the lovely Belen Esteban, and be able to recite the lyrics to 50 Julio Iglesias or Manolo Escobar songs.

I believe most of thoses present said "sod it", and opted to keep the NIE.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 2:49 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
It is a strange situation, I have never heard of a British citizen actually getting a DNI card.....

There could be a possible explanation in that the rules for obtaining one heave changed.

I heard a rumour quite a while back, that a foreign national could get a DNI if they met certain requirements.

There was quite a long list, but a couple of things that stuck in my mind were that to qualify, the person in question would have to fill in a questionaire of 100 facts about the life and times of the lovely Belen Esteban, and be able to recite the lyrics to 50 Julio Iglesias or Manolo Escobar songs.

I believe most of thoses present said "sod it", and opted to keep the NIE.
I could probably get one then
Old Oct 24th 2010, 2:53 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I could probably get one then
Oh noooooo, and I thought you had standards........
Old Oct 24th 2010, 2:55 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by JLFS
Oh noooooo, and I thought you had standards........
why do you think I'm

it will be interesting though, to see what snikpoh's mate actually gets, don't you think?
Old Oct 24th 2010, 2:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lynnxa
why do you think I'm

it will be interesting though, to see what snikpoh's mate actually gets, don't you think?

He might get a 6 months stretch, for trying to obtain documents using fraudulent means.......

Anything is possible........this is Spain.....