Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Disclosing private information.

Disclosing private information.

Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:31 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Disclosing private information.

I wonder if it’s wise to give away too much private information on a public forum? Without too much effort, several members of this Spanish forum have given away that much private information that anyone could find their home addresses within minutes.

Even if you think you have led blameless lives, there will always be nutters out there who want to cause you harm.

I was going to send a private PM to one particular member, to warn him, but maybe it won’t do any harm to remind all of us, myself included.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disclosing private information.

I wondered about this a few weeks ago when on various boards people were posting photos of their streets or backgardens in the snow, and talking about the weather in their town.

Next time they post that they're going on holiday......then what?
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:55 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

If you are suggesting that thieves might target their houses, from my experience thieves are almost always opportunists. A planned crime is normal reserved for films only.

The exception would be a very valuable target.

So the posters here, who might have let slip sufficient info to trace where they live, need not worry too much, unless they are very rich. If they are, I think they would be unlikely to disclose any info which might cause them a problem.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 4:19 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johncar61

If you are suggesting that thieves might target their houses, from my experience thieves are almost always opportunists. A planned crime is normal reserved for films only.

The exception would be a very valuable target.

So the posters here, who might have let slip sufficient info to trace where they live, need not worry too much, unless they are very rich. If they are, I think they would be unlikely to disclose any info which might cause them a problem.
So go ahead and post your personal information and see where that gets your 30 years of whatever in London! HBG made a very valid point. I don't know you, you don't know me and none of us knows for certain exactly who we're dealing with and talking to on here.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

[I]So the posters here, who might have let slip sufficient info to trace where they live, need not worry too much, unless they are very rich. If they are, I think they would be unlikely to disclose any info which might cause them a problem.
I understand what you mean, but the internet never forgets. So while people might not have any worries NOW about seemingly innocuous details, their circumstances might change in the future.
You never know, you or a relative might win the lottery or have the misfortune to become famous (even if only for 15 minutes) and have all sorts of errr, "journalists" trying to dig up details about you. So without being paranoid, I do feel that it's quite possible to take part in forums and to keep your discretion, too.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 4:32 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

I do feel that it's quite possible to take part in forums and to keep your discretion, too.

I quite agree. But in the real world people who need to conceal their personal info would probably almost never be foolish enough to disclose it in a blogg.

Also most people are traceable through their telephone number, car registration, voters registry, companies house registers, land registry etc. I know the police manage to trace many people who try very hard to keep their life secret.

Last edited by johncar61; Jan 29th 2010 at 4:36 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 4:33 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Because Spain is such an attractive retirement location, the whole spectrum of UK pensioners is represented here. I know of a retired Chief Constable, three former Commanders and quite a few Superintendents living in Javea alone. South of Alicante. DIs and the lower ranks are everywhere, they even have their own club not far from where I live.

Most of the former active ones are very careful, when you’ve put villains away for 25 years at a time, you need to be.

The other side is here too, in great numbers. I was in a pub in Torrevieja a couple of years ago, when I spotted a former supergrass, still mouthing it off to anyone who would listen. He had changed his name and appearance, but forgot about his silly loud voice.

He turned round at the door and people were saying , “See you John.” I couldn’t resist calling out “See you, xxxxxx,” and never saw a big man run so fast. I never saw him again.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:01 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Its common sense
Whoever you are, and wherever you are

Avoid posting anything on a public forum that might give any sensitive personal information away

@johncar - can you use the quote button rather than cut and paste, it makes things clearer, thanks
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:23 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Remember the Panama couple? They were caught out by an Estate Agents website carrying their photo. Pete makes a good point.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Its common sense
Whoever you are, and wherever you are

Avoid posting anything on a public forum that might give any sensitive personal information away

@johncar - can you use the quote button rather than cut and paste, it makes things clearer, thanks
Yes I know but I don't see the point of copying all the post when I am olny commenting on a specific part.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:44 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know but I don't see the point of copying all the post when I am olny commenting on a specific part.
Well everyone else does, and I dont see why you should be any different. You just delete the section that doesnt apply
It makes thinks more difficult to read if you dont
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
(1) Well everyone else does, ............................ (2) and I dont see why you should be any different.
(3) It makes thinks more difficult to read if you dont
(1) Everyone, that a bit sweeping !!!!

(2) Does that mean you will ban me if I don't conform to that 'new rule' ?

(3) I am sorry if you find it's difficult to read, but in 100 odd posts here and more that a 1,000 on a similar forum, you are first to say its a problem. I would have thought that typing errors are at least as big a problem, and that does not seem to be much of a problem !

But no problem.

Last edited by johncar61; Jan 29th 2010 at 6:00 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:22 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The problem is that the people who are indiscreet enough to leave private information on a public forum, often don’t realise that they’re doing it, they’re pedantic people who know it all, no matter what.

I’ve just thought of a perfect example, locally.

A retired police officer haunts the bars round here, gets pissed every day, and insults people at random when he’s had more than he should. He’s barred in most places, but as they change hands frequently he still manages to find more victims.

He goes up to them and says, “I’m retired, Royal Navy and Police. Not from the Met, they’re all bent bastards down there.”

He’s had more right handers than anyone else I know, but it doesn’t stop him. I once saw him cop a right hander while he was in a wheelchair, He’d stopped next to a car where the man opened the driving door before opening the passenger door for his wife.

The ex-copper shouted at him to let his wife in first and shook his fist as the car drove away. It stopped a hundred yards away and the driver ran back and slapped the old boy so hard that he fell out of his chair.

A few of us were sitting at a nearby table, and helped him back into his chair. He said that he was going to report the driver and asked for witnesses. None of us had seen a thing.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:24 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

(3) I am sorry if you find it's difficult to read, but in 100 odd posts here and more that a 1,000 on a similar forum, you are first to say its a problem. I would have thought that typing errors are at least as big a problem, and that does not seem to be much of a problem !

But no problem.
If not everyone, I would say thehuge majority do use the quoting system.

I also found it a little disorientating when reading through posts like your former. Typing errors have already been dealt with on several posts if you would care to read back a little!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

But no problem.
Calm down!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.