Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Different warning for British plated cars

Different warning for British plated cars

Old Apr 8th 2008, 8:19 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Different warning for British plated cars

I've been tossing up the idea of even mentioning it as I didn't want to be branded as a scaremonger and having a quick chat with one of the moderators he thought it might be wise to post this warning as it's definitely something on the increase.

As some of you might have seen my initial warning in siesta time about a close friend of mine that had just moved into a new property in Alicante and 3 masked men broke into his home, hit him and took his car and some of his boxed up stuff.

Luckily he escaped out of the back window hurting himself further before they had finished but as you can imagine is still very shaken up.

The Police have caught some of the gang and they were Eastern Europeans and the police did mention that Expats of all nationalities are getting targeted and they think they're doing it by the fact of their foreign plated cars.

Anyway, I just put it down to a one off nasty experience until a couple of days ago I got an email from a client asking me to supply him with a car as he too was subjected to the same sort of attack in a completely different area of Spain.

It would seem expats who have just moved into properties are being targeted as I guess if everything in boxes it's either easier for them to take and less chance of them having something to hand to defend themselves with.

In both cases they didn't take anything in the house that was of much value but were mainly after wallets and more worrying the vehicles.

My only guess is because they're not Spanish registered it's easy to give them some sort of new identity and get them out of the country for sale abroad somewhere?

Anyway, I thought I'd let you guys know anyway and you can make your own mind up and perhaps if you are moving or have just moved to Spain just keep an more cautious eye out until you settle in and perhaps get your car off UK plates asap.

Last edited by zel; Apr 8th 2008 at 8:21 am.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 8:26 am

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Different warning for British plated cars

I think you did right posting this thread and are not scare mongering at all, you are just letting people know the realities of what can happen in Spain (and probably a lot more countries besides Spain).

We bought a Spanish plated car when we got here, it didnt even cross out minds to bring a Uk car over. Although I can understand people driving down to Spain because they have all their belongings to move over, but this just goes to show that they must change their plates over as soon as possible.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Same Difference
I think you did right posting this thread and are not scare mongering at all, you are just letting people know the realities of what can happen in Spain (and probably a lot more countries besides Spain).

We bought a Spanish plated car when we got here, it didnt even cross out minds to bring a Uk car over. Although I can understand people driving down to Spain because they have all their belongings to move over, but this just goes to show that they must change their plates over as soon as possible.

Befomoved over we were told y EVERYONE here to bring our UK car as its easy and cheaper to have that changed over to spanish plate than buying a spanish car, and it was easier coz of bringing stuff over. Well wot a load of old rubbish, now we're stuck with this car on the drive that we dont want and cant drive for fear of being pulled over and impounded! We cant get rid of it here and it isnt worth the time or money to get it back to the uk, so my advice to anyone thinking about it is BUY a spanish car
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:23 am
zel

Originally Posted by cajam31
Befomoved over we were told y EVERYONE here to bring our UK car as its easy and cheaper to have that changed over to spanish plate than buying a spanish car, and it was easier coz of bringing stuff over. Well wot a load of old rubbish, now we're stuck with this car on the drive that we dont want and cant drive for fear of being pulled over and impounded! We cant get rid of it here and it isnt worth the time or money to get it back to the uk, so my advice to anyone thinking about it is BUY a spanish car
Just sounds like you've been misinformed at some stage during the process either before or after you got to Spain.

If you have owned it for more than six months and it's a proper EU car then what was the problem in getting it on Spanish plates?

It's pretty simple process, not much different to the UK way of registering a vehicle and thousands of people do is successfully?

Did you miss the time frame for import duty or is it a commercial or classic?
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:30 am
zel

Originally Posted by Rotor
My system has worked fine for the last four years, I ve been pulled over several times in a UK reg car and given my UK passport , UK Lincense and UK car docs explaining I commute between the UK & Spain and spend about the same ammount of time in each country in a year.
Yup and it only takes one savvy cop who asks for evidence of when it last left the UK and if it's over six months then that's the end of your caper.

Not to mention if you have UK insurance the odds are seriously stacked against you in the terms and conditions that you are insured for more than a couple of days to a few weeks driving abroad and believe me if you are unfortunate to have an accident they will be savvy enough to ask for evidence of when the vehicle left UK shores and you will be up the old creek without a paddle.

It's all well and good to bend or break the laws and gloat publicly about doing it until you're caught or have an accident and find yourself not insured and lumbered with a personal liable case of hundreds of thousands of euros.

That's the fact of the matter, if you or anyone else wants the break the law that's entirely up to you but to promote such behaviour on a very popular expat forum is damn right out of order in my opinion.

Last edited by zel; Apr 8th 2008 at 9:33 am.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
As some of you might have seen my initial warning in siesta time about a close friend of mine that had just moved into a new property in Alicante and 3 masked men broke into his home, hit him and took his car and some of his boxed up stuff.

Luckily he escaped out of the back window hurting himself further before they had finished but as you can imagine is still very shaken up.
know for a fact this is going on, just before Christmas we were talking to a Spanish guy who told us about 2 similar happenings 1 in Monte Corona and the other in Tossal Gross - scary but a sad fact of life. Crime is everywhere be it Spain, England or where ever

dont think you are scaremongering (is that a real word ) Im sure those moving to Spain want to hear good and bad points
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

It's not entirely surprising. Many British do stick out like a sore thumb... not just with British plated cars but massive satellite dishes and all the other trappings of wealth.

That doesn't excuse being robbed... but it does make it relatively easy to become a target for the wrong kind of attention.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

Originally Posted by zel
I've been tossing up the idea of even mentioning it as I didn't want to be branded as a scaremonger and having a quick chat with one of the moderators he thought it might be wise to post this warning as it's definitely something on the increase.

The Police have caught some of the gang and they were Eastern Europeans and the police did mention that Expats of all nationalities are getting targeted and they think they're doing it by the fact of their foreign plated cars.

Anyway, I just put it down to a one off nasty experience until a couple of days ago I got an email from a client asking me to supply him with a car as he too was subjected to the same sort of attack in a completely different area of Spain.

It would seem expats who have just moved into properties are being targeted as I guess if everything in boxes it's either easier for them to take and less chance of them having something to hand to defend themselves with.

In both cases they didn't take anything in the house that was of much value but were mainly after wallets and more worrying the vehicles.

My only guess is because they're not Spanish registered it's easy to give them some sort of new identity and get them out of the country for sale abroad somewhere?

Anyway, I thought I'd let you guys know anyway and you can make your own mind up and perhaps if you are moving or have just moved to Spain just keep an more cautious eye out until you settle in and perhaps get your car off UK plates asap.
For balance

18 months ago we were burgled by Eastern Europeans. Tied up, threatened by knifepoint to open an empty safe and then took the keys for the Spanish plated VW Touareg which they explained would be dumped in 2 hours not far from the house with the keys nearby (which they did). All they were interested in was cash

Still better odds than in the UK, where I was burgled four times in four different places within the UK in 3 years
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShinyAndy
For balance

18 months ago we were burgled by Eastern Europeans. Tied up, threatened by knifepoint to open an empty safe and then took the keys for the Spanish plated VW Touareg which they explained would be dumped in 2 hours not far from the house with the keys nearby (which they did). All they were interested in was cash
bloody hell
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

Every house was targeted in the road, Spanish/German/British/etc.. it's easy to point a finger and say ex-pats are getting a rough time but anyone is just as likely to get done over
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:13 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you have to put things in perspective
I didn't hear about the Tossal Gros incident, even though I live here
If you dont have a house alarm then you are at risk, end of story. I had one in the UK and I wouldn't think of not having one here

I was burgled in the Uk in nearly every house I lived in
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:21 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought to those living on the south coast (malaga / cadiz) If registering a UK car in Spain is difficult and expensive. How does it way up to the costs of registering your car to Gibraltar?

Theres no records kept of cars going in and out so no evidence how often you actually go there. Get gib insurance - no language barriers.

Just a thought. I have no idea personally. I bought a spanish car. But I was going to bring my UK car down had I not had an accident 2 weeks before I was due to be here!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
Just a thought to those living on the south coast (malaga / cadiz) If registering a UK car in Spain is difficult and expensive. How does it way up to the costs of registering your car to Gibraltar?

Theres no records kept of cars going in and out so no evidence how often you actually go there. Get gib insurance - no language barriers.

Just a thought. I have no idea personally. I bought a spanish car. But I was going to bring my UK car down had I not had an accident 2 weeks before I was due to be here!
Wouldn't you need a Gibraltar address to do that?

Last edited by valenciatim; Apr 8th 2008 at 10:37 am.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
If you dont have a house alarm then you are at risk, end of story
thats my OH view but my argument is that if you have an alarm you obviously have soemthing worth stealing.....and if we did get one fitted we would be the only ones in our whole street to have one, so would we then make ourselves a target
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:50 am
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cajam31
Totally agree with this advice. I've also got a Uk car and it's just a worry and a hassle.

Someone I know got his impounded and once all the fines were added up for various transgressions was told it would cost €3,500 to get it released. He was considerering just leaving it as the car wasn't even worth that much!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.