Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

different driving rules...?

different driving rules...?

Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: different driving rules...?

Originally Posted by SueG
Home
are you from swindon????
Old Feb 7th 2009, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
The UK highway code states in Rule 185 that make your intentions Clear before entering a Roundabout. Failing to do so whilst on your driving test will be a nice big tick against your pass as it is conceived as a major failure in regards to road safety. The only time you don't indicate prior to entering a roundabout is if you are passing straight across it, Then you only indicate on exiting. Take a 3 oclock position exit or 9 oclock position exit requires signaling in advance and when on dual carriage way roundabouts you indicate even earlier to place yourself in the correct entry lane. A fussy Policeman can issue a ticket for driving without due care an attention should he feel it fitting to the occasion.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_070540.jpg

I stand corrected, chastised and eat humble pie! lol
Was I correct about driving in Spain?
LMJ,
Old Feb 7th 2009, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jdr
Love see one of these here. lol
I lived in Colchester when they first layed one of these out with lorry tyres and changed the positions every day till they got it right, so funny watching the drivers.
That roundabout is in Swindon. (Swindon's white knuckle ride) It created mayhem when it was first opened in 1972:

http://www.swindonweb.com/index.asp?...GIC+ROUNDABOUT
Old Feb 7th 2009, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
That roundabout is in Swindon. (Swindon's white knuckle ride) It created mayhem when it was first opened in 1972:

easy peasy after a couple of goes!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:25 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lmj50
I stand corrected, chastised and eat humble pie! lol
Was I correct about driving in Spain?
LMJ,
Haven't got a clue, I don't live there. But here Roundabouts are a Kind of enter at you own risk affair.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:54 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

See post 26. ;-)
Old Feb 7th 2009, 6:43 pm
Dancing Queen

Susie Wong has a reputation beyond reputeSusie Wong has a reputation beyond reputeSusie Wong has a reputation beyond reputeSusie Wong has a reputation beyond reputeSusie Wong has a reputation beyond reputeSusie Wong has a reputation beyond reputeSusie Wong has a reputation beyond reputeSusie Wong has a reputation beyond reputeSusie Wong has a reputation beyond reputeSusie Wong has a reputation beyond reputeSusie Wong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
The periferique around Paris is the worst place ever to drive.
A nightmare. been round that about 10.00pm, dark, hissing it down, no road markings and no lights - missed exit and had to go round again.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 7:02 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Susie Wong
A nightmare. been round that about 10.00pm, dark, hissing it down, no road markings and no lights - missed exit and had to go round again.

In a rainstorm we passed a car which had hit a crash barrier and the emergency rescue team were there trying to cut someone out of the car...in teeming rain
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a place where Mimi Greensleeves, Dodgy Debsy and that there Lionda wont find me.
genegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: different driving rules...?

Originally Posted by Lionda
In a rainstorm we passed a car which had hit a crash barrier and the emergency rescue team were there trying to cut someone out of the car...in teeming rain
That's Firefighters for you. Any time any place any where, Whatever the weather.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by featherbum
glad i provided you guys with some amusement

i moved to england shortly after passing my test so all my driving experience has been in the uk...! and all i can say is that, these ppl are a bunch of maniacs!

oh and how about.... ppl who, on a 3 lane rd use the right lane to then turn left and viceversa- then go nuts at you for 'getting on their way'?
A friend of mine took her driving test here in Spain only last year...they are still being taught to take the right hand land of the roundabout regardless of which exit you use. She said you only take the left lane if you intend to double back on yourself and drive back down the same road you have come from.

If you notice it is always the learner drivers that take the left lane to make a right turn......I find it incredibly dangerous....I'm sure they'll have to change it some time.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerezgirl
A friend of mine took her driving test here in Spain only last year...they are still being taught to take the right hand land of the roundabout regardless of which exit you use. She said you only take the left lane if you intend to double back on yourself and drive back down the same road you have come from.

If you notice it is always the learner drivers that take the left lane to make a right turn......I find it incredibly dangerous....I'm sure they'll have to change it some time.
that's just shocking, i mean REAAALLY, it only takes a tiny little bit of common sense to see that's dangerous?!?!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:25 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerezgirl
Just a few weeks ago we were on the moto, on a 3 lane city road and turning right ourselves when a car in the middle lane also turned right but sharp right and literally had the moto against the side of his car. He wasnt a beginner and his excuse was that he was indicating to turn right so everyone else should have got out of his way. Luckily the moto is heavy enough to resist the side of his car so we didnt get hurt. I really wanted to punch his lights out though.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by El Capitan
Just a few weeks ago we were on the moto, on a 3 lane city road and turning right ourselves when a car in the middle lane also turned right but sharp right and literally had the moto against the side of his car. He wasnt a beginner and his excuse was that he was indicating to turn right so everyone else should have got out of his way. Luckily the moto is heavy enough to resist the side of his car so we didnt get hurt. I really wanted to punch his lights out though.
OMG we had the same thing happen to us the other day- so when we pulled up next to his window he said that, as he had indicated his intentions, he had right of way

so they must reaaally belive they are right???

i actually asked in my class today (i teach english to the spanish peeps) about the roundabout rules and they said 'there arent any rules' for roundabout driving!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice
Smile Re: different driving rules...?

Things you won't hear a Spanish driver say..??!!

- I'm turning soon I'd better signal.....

- I'll put my handbrake on, so I won't roll back when I set off

- now what's the speed limit on this road??.....

- the road's wet, better leave a bit more room between me and the car in front

- lights have just gone to amber, better stop

- I'll park here and walk, don't want to cause an obstruction....

- now which lane should I be in at this roundabout?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by featherbum
are you from swindon????
Yes lived from the age of 2 until we came here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.