Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

different driving rules...?

different driving rules...?

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute
Default different driving rules...?

Hello to all, long time no 'speak'

me and Mr. FB are starting to wonder, and i am not joking, if spain may have 'different driving rules'? we just dont get it

on a daily basis, in a roundabout near our house, cars pull out in front of us and nearly hit us, while we are IN the roundabout (as in going round it if that makes any sense lol)
and when we beep the horn THEY get angry
also
why doesnt anyone indicate when approaching a roundabout? then you end up waiting for nothing....? (i asked someone here and they said you are not supposed to indicate when approaching a roundabout or in a roundabout...? huh?).

i am a nervous wreck in the car here!!!!

just wondering if its me, them or what!!!!

byeee for now....!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of
Default Re: different driving rules...?

Originally Posted by featherbum

me and Mr. FB are starting to wonder, and i am not joking, if spain may have 'different driving rules'? we just dont get it

on a daily basis, in a roundabout near our house, cars pull out in front of us and nearly hit us, while we are IN the roundabout (as in going round it if that makes any sense lol)
also
why doesnt anyone indicate when approaching a roundabout? then you end up waiting for nothing....? (i asked someone here and they said you are not supposed to indicate when approaching a roundabout or in a roundabout...? huh?).

byeee for now....!
Dont say that
I am driving for the first time in two weeks time very aprehensive but needs must taxis getting too expensive and work cut expensive oh dear
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:48 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

also

byeee for now....!

Ha Ha featherbum you made me laugh, never a truer word has been spoken, the only people that indicate at a roundabout are the Brits
Old Feb 4th 2009, 6:42 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

also

byeee for now....!
They changed the rules on roundabouts to people on the roundabout have right of way, but most don`t realize and use the old way. ;-))
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:14 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
They changed the rules on roundabouts to people on the roundabout have right of way, but most don`t realize and use the old way. ;-))
In France, contrary to the usual priority to the right rule, it's priority to the left for roundabouts, i.e. the one already on the roundabout has priority.
Not many French drivers indicate their intentions, either. I don't think they're taught to at Driving School...
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:47 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

There doesn´t appear to be any rule regarding roundabouts, or for any kind of driving, at least in my area anyway. I won´t drive here in Spain because I´m terrified. It´s bad enough trying to get across a pedestrian crossing.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:27 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

the rule around here seems to be that it's the place to stop for a chat
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

glad i provided you guys with some amusement

i moved to england shortly after passing my test so all my driving experience has been in the uk...! and all i can say is that, these ppl are a bunch of maniacs!

oh and how about.... ppl who, on a 3 lane rd use the right lane to then turn left and viceversa- then go nuts at you for 'getting on their way'?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lynnxa
you mean in the pedestrian crossing? cause i have seen that here too!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispy
Ha Ha featherbum you made me laugh, never a truer word has been spoken, the only people that indicate at a roundabout are the Brits
Wrong, sorry. Spaniards (some of) do... it's just not usually (a) the required direction (b) soon enough (c) cancelled afterwards

Originally Posted by lynnxa

Come on girls get real.... anywhere, roundabout, pedestrian crossing, narrow pueblito road, blind bend, is the place to stop for a chat whether car, lorry, motorbike, pushbike, teen mum with buggy, .. . . .

Talking about moments, driving back from airport Thurs after dark, outside lane, hammering it in good Malaguena fashion, two legs swing from central reservation crash barrier
it was a couple deciding to cross the A7 in the most life-threatening way known to man. Just wondered afterwards if they were even aware how near they were to disaster?

AND has anyone else noticed that the one rule of the road they all seem to abide by is STOP. Junction clear, no vehicles within sight. STOP. Yes I know that's what you should do, but really!!!!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:49 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

No, that's the place to park...
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikelincs
No, that's the place to park...
ok so its not just in san sebastian then

actually the other day we saw a car CLAMPED on the zebra crossing
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:50 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Driving into La Nucia a couple of days ago, the road at one point - on a country road - splits into three lanes the inside lane leading to a turning to factory or something. We went into that third lane as we turned the corner - stroke of luck as a car came towards us ON OUR SIDE OF THE ROAD had we not gone into the inside lane I would not be typing this
Old Feb 5th 2009, 4:36 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

yes! there too

and outside the cafe when they see their friends at a table............

edit - note to self - read whole thread before replying!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

Hola
The highway code in UK states that you indicate when you are exiting a roundabout.
However:
In Spain you must drive in the middle of the road on country lanes, this helps you to swerve left or right much easier. Also you must drive with fag in hand, arm out of window, getting the breeze. Stop anywhere and only double park, never use a space.
On motorways you must see how close you can get to the car on front, without actually touching it. On roads where there are works taking place you must drive at least double the advised limits then slam on your brakes to go over the rumble strips! Apparently.
LMJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.