Diet in Spain

Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:16 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diet in Spain

My mum was a vegetarian from when she was a child in the 1910s (unusual in those days), until she died in her 90s in 2001.

She did not eat meat or fish, or even eggs unless they were cooked in something (like in a cake). She did use milk and vegetarian cheese (not butter though, she used vegetable margarine and vegetable oil)..

She never took any supplements, she just made sure she had a balanced diet, and got her protein from eating loads of pulses, and her vitamins from eating loads of vegetables.

She did not expect my dad, or my sisters or myself to be vegetarians and would cook meat for us (I can remember her heaving when she was cooking liver and onions), although my dad too became a vegetarian after he retired.

One of my friends is a vegetarian in my mum's mould, she too has had this diet since she was a child, she is now in her fifties and is perfectly healthy without supplements.

Vegetarianism does not have to be unhealthy.

However,a vegan diet, where they don't eat dairy products either, can be deficient in vitamins and will probably need to be supplemented.

Last edited by scampicat; Feb 20th 2011 at 9:20 am.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:16 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
My mum was a vegetarian from when she was a child in the 1910s (unusual in those days), until she died in her 90s in 2001.

She did not eat meat or fish, or even eggs unless they were cooked in something (like in a cake). She did use milk and vegetarian cheese (not butter though, she used vegetable margarine and vegetable oil)..

She never took any supplements, she just made sure she had a balanced diet, and got her protein from eating loads of pulses, and her vitamins from eating loads of vegetables.

She did not expect my dad, or my sisters or myself to be vegetarians and would cook meat for us (I can remember her heaving when she was cooking liver and onions), although my dad too became a vegetarian after he retired.

One of my friends is a vegetarian in my mum's mould, she too has had this diet since she was a child, she is now in her fifties and is perfectly healthy without supplements.

Vegetarianism does not have to be unhealthy.

However,a vegan diet, where they don't eat dairy products either, can be deficient in vitamins and will probably need to be supplemented.

Vegetarianism in humans is unnatural, in so much as we are evolved to eat an omniverous diet.

What it does do is take an intelligent point, and take it to extremes. ie that the human diet should be heavy on the veg, light on the meat.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 4:37 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Vegetarianism in humans is unnatural, in so much as we are evolved to eat an omniverous diet.

What it does do is take an intelligent point, and take it to extremes. ie that the human diet should be heavy on the veg, light on the meat.
I agree with you on the whole; however, my mum and my friend couldn't/can't eat meat, it made/makes them ill. They both decided as very young children (less than seven years old in my mum's case) that they were never going to eat meat again.

But yes, in general I agree, the human diet should be omnivore but with far less meat than most of us eat.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:14 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
I agree with you on the whole; however, my mum and my friend couldn't/can't eat meat, it made/makes them ill. They both decided as very young children (less than seven years old in my mum's case) that they were never going to eat meat again.

But yes, in general I agree, the human diet should be omnivore but with far less meat than most of us eat.
The three great unnaturals in our diets are dairy, red meat and grain based foods.

Cut all those out, and stick to seafood for your meat, and you won't go far wrong.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 6:43 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

After many years in Spain, I finally tried my first caracoles today, locally picked and prepared together with locally shot palomas to make up a local Valencian paella.
Can't say I was particularly impressed, and found them a bit chewy after struggling with a toothpick to extract the little blighters from their shells.
A bit like giant snots, only more chewy and probably less tasty, I should imagine.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 6:49 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
The three great unnaturals in our diets are dairy, red meat and grain based foods.

Cut all those out, and stick to seafood for your meat, and you won't go far wrong.
I imagine man has been enjoying your three great unnaturals almost since time began, especially bearing in mind that many countries are entirely land-locked with virtually no access at all to seafood, until recent times..
Old Feb 20th 2011, 7:13 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I imagine man has been enjoying your three great unnaturals almost since time began, especially bearing in mind that many countries are entirely land-locked with virtually no access at all to seafood, until recent times..
Define 'Since time immemorial.' If by that you mean since farming was institutional, then you are quite right. However, if like me you meant when we evolved first into hominids, as plains apes, then your meat allowance would have been lizards, baby birds, the odd egg, grubs and so on. That's pretty close to seafood for our purposes.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 7:49 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Define 'Since time immemorial.' If by that you mean since farming was institutional, then you are quite right. However, if like me you meant when we evolved first into hominids, as plains apes, then your meat allowance would have been lizards, baby birds, the odd egg, grubs and so on. That's pretty close to seafood for our purposes.
Well we've moved on from that rather nasty sounding diet to foods like bread, milk and farmed meat - which is probably one of the reasons why we are living beyond an average age of about 30.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 7:58 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Well we've moved on from that rather nasty sounding diet to foods like bread, milk and farmed meat - which is probably one of the reasons why we are living beyond an average age of about 30.
It may sound nasty but I am sure with a bit of imagination, it could work, lizard in the hole, sparrow au vin, cockaroach a la carbonara, butternut squash and ant mash, spider souffle.....yum...
Old Feb 20th 2011, 7:59 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jimenato
No, just the reverse. Provided you get enough calories, and a reasonable balance of vitamins, you will live far longer on a low cal caveman diet than you ever will on the modern one with its abundance of 'bread, milk and farmed meat '.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:02 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by JLFS
It may sound nasty but I am sure with a bit of imagination, it could work, lizard in the hole, sparrow au vin, cockaroach a la carbonara, butternut squash and ant mash, spider souffle.....yum...
From a purely dietary viewpoint, you are better off eating cockroaches than cereals.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:03 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by bil
Whilst I don't claim to be an expert on what timescale various creatures have been on the planet since man first evolved and began hunting,not to mention farming, I would be most surprised if they didn't extend to something much more meaty and substantial than those you mention.
I mean he could always knock one of the neighbours on the head and chuck them in the pot if he was really desperate, and possibly still is the case in some remote jungles.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Feb 20th 2011 at 8:07 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:04 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
From a purely dietary viewpoint, you are better off eating cockroaches than cereals.
But I already do, bil, I cant be doing with those crappy cocopop thingies, give me a bowl of cockies with nice ice cold milk anyday, if you dont find them sweet enough, you can also add a bit of sugar...
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:30 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by bil
It's fairly rare to have cockies in your cereal boxes unless you regularly leave them open, in which case it's one of their favourite diets.
However most ppl. are already combining their breakfast cereals with tiny grain mites which are normally to small to be seen with the naked eye, and occur fairly commonly in grain stores.
....but as they say what you don't know and can't see, won't hurt you,.... or will it ?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:34 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
No, just the reverse. Provided you get enough calories, and a reasonable balance of vitamins, you will live far longer on a low cal caveman diet than you ever will on the modern one with its abundance of 'bread, milk and farmed meat '.
How do you know?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.